• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another goof w/a gun

M

mdgary

imported post

Never play with a loaded FIREARM!!!!!

CrossFire

imported post

What I have taught my grandaughter is that all guns are loaded all the time, even if you are the one that unloads it it is still loaded.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

open4years wrote:
I forgot one!

A local police officer always slept with her loaded Glock under her pillow. One night she happened to move the pillow just right (wrong?) and shot herself in the arm. It was a .45 and she had a devastating wound. I never found out if she was able to return to duty.

open4years

Your other stories are tragic mistakes that could, unfortunately, happen to anyone of us, but this one is just pure darwinism. Who the hell sleeps with a loaded gun under their pillow? Is the nightstand too far away?

darthmord

imported post

WCrawford wrote:
mdgary wrote:
Never play with a loaded FIREARM!!!!!

ALL firearms are loaded until you check! Then check it again!!

And if the firearm leaves your hand, assume the magical reloading fairies did their job.

I follow this rule all the time. My kids also assume any gun is loaded, even if I should happen to make sure it's empty / safe immediately prior tohanding it to them.

I don't EVER want to be a (or part of a) gun safety statistic.

open4years

imported post

Your other stories are tragic mistakes that could, unfortunately, happen to anyone of us, but this one is just pure darwinism. Who the hell sleeps with a loaded gun under their pillow? Is the nightstand too far away?

I respectfully disagree with you. The first case could have been prevented by using a rubber gun, wooden gun, anything but a real gun. In the second case, the FBI agent was using a target on a wall to dry fire at. He should have pointed his gun in a safe direction even if he absolutely knew it was unloaded.

Both of these men were highly trained and should have known better. I feel very sorry for them and the victims, but they both made a mistake that they knew better than to do.

I agree with you on the third case: a Glock under a pillow. I don't think any gun under a pillow (that someone is sleeping on) is wise, but especially a Glock.

Maybe there is something about this area (!) but there was another case in a nearby police department. An officer had finished cleaning his duty weapon and was in the process of racking the slide to chamber a round when it went off, hitting a fellow officer in the leg. The reason for the discharge? He was pressing on the trigger while chambering the round. Once again, pointing it in a safe direction would have made this just an embarassing event and no one would have been hurt.

open4years

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

open4years wrote:

I respectfully disagree with you. The first case could have been prevented by using a rubber gun, wooden gun, anything but a real gun. In the second case, the FBI agent was using a target on a wall to dry fire at. He should have pointed his gun in a safe direction even if he absolutely knew it was unloaded.

Both of these men were highly trained and should have known better. I feel very sorry for them and the victims, but they both made a mistake that they knew better than to do.

I agree with you on the third case: a Glock under a pillow. I don't think any gun under a pillow (that someone is sleeping on) is wise, but especially a Glock.

Maybe there is something about this area (!) but there was another case in a nearby police department. An officer had finished cleaning his duty weapon and was in the process of racking the slide to chamber a round when it went off, hitting a fellow officer in the leg. The reason for the discharge? He was pressing on the trigger while chambering the round. Once again, pointing it in a safe direction would have made this just an embarassing event and no one would have been hurt.

open4years

Good point. If it's always pointed in a safe direction, it'll neverhurt anyone.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
open4years wrote:

open4years

Good point. If it's always pointed in a safe direction, it'll neverhurt anyone.

Kind of reminds me of the delta guy in BlackHawk Down "This is my safety."

I ALWAYS know if my gun is loaded. And by that I really mean it is ALWAYS loaded unless I have checked it as suggested. When I practive holster draw I do it with an empty mag AND empty chamber. I don't even use snaps. Gun will lock back when I go to rack the slide. This way when the slide doesn't lock back I know there is a problem.