• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Venezuela to buy Russian tanks, armored vehicles

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081016/lt_venezuela_russia_tanks.html?.v=1

(snip)

Venezuela to buy Russian tanks, armored vehicles
Thursday October 16, 5:32 pm ET
By Christopher Toothaker, Associated Press Writer

Venezuela to purchase Russian-made tanks, armored reconnaissance vehicles

CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) -- Venezuela plans on purchasing Russian-made T-72 battle tanks and armored reconnaissance vehicles as the nations' increase military cooperation, a Venezuelan military commander said Thursday.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

What's the chance that Venezuela might start reaching out to a neighbor, say... Mexico, and offered them a part of the South Western corner of a given country which they already feel like they have a right to... Do you think they might not be willing to lend a hand? I don't trust our allies like Panama, Costa Rica and Belize when it comes to fighting back Venezuelan invasion. Call me crazy, but an old Mosin Nagant can deliver the same round that a Dragunov can, and a 1911 is still as deadly as it was when it was designed 100 years ago.

I am not afraid of Venezuela, but I am concerned that we have been allowing many resentful individuals into this country from countries that have an inherent resentment of our culture and ideas. I am more concerned about a coalition of Latin American countries coming together with a united goal: Latin Machismo.

Thundar

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
What's the chance that Venezuela might start reaching out to a neighbor, say... Mexico, and offered them a part of the South Western corner of a given country which they already feel like they have a right to... Do you think they might not be willing to lend a hand? I don't trust our allies like Panama, Costa Rica and Belize when it comes to fighting back Venezuelan invasion. Call me crazy, but an old Mosin Nagant can deliver the same round that a Dragunov can, and a 1911 is still as deadly as it was when it was designed 100 years ago.

I am not afraid of Venezuela, but I am concerned that we have been allowing many resentful individuals into this country from countries that have an inherent resentment of our culture and ideas. I am more concerned about a coalition of Latin American countries coming together with a united goal: Latin Machismo.
The Bolivista movement has been accelerating for the last 5 years. Fortunately the people of South America are just about fed up with these thugs. Look at the counter revolution in Santa Cruz, Bolivia, for example.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

I understand that Venezuela would be met with some resistance, but corruption is more than just an issue in most of these countries. It's cultural to some degree. (mind you I am speaking from a Latin American perspective, as I am half Cuban and half Puerto Rican).

RedKnightt

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:

If I were one of Venezuela's neighbor's, especially Colombia, I would be a little more concerned about Chavez building up his military capability. A direct conflict there could disrupt the oil market again and affect the US on an economic level. As for a direct Mexican-Venezuelan military threat to the US, I truly can't see any scenario that doesn't end with a large group of burning Venezuelan tanks a few yards north of the US-Mexican border, if they were even allowed to get that far.
While we still have some lessons to learn about nation-building/occupation/unconventional warfare/etc, there is simply no way a third-line, third world military could stand up to our military in a conventional combat situation. Even if the "invaders" had the support of some sort of domestic fifth column, we have the capability to destroy large armored formations without even directly confronting them if need be.

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

thorvaldr

imported post

RedKnightt wrote:
.40 Cal wrote:

If I were one of Venezuela's neighbor's, especially Colombia, I would be a little more concerned about Chavez building up his military capability. A direct conflict there could disrupt the oil market again and affect the US on an economic level. As for a direct Mexican-Venezuelan military threat to the US, I truly can't see any scenario that doesn't end with a large group of burning Venezuelan tanks a few yards north of the US-Mexican border, if they were even allowed to get that far.
While we still have some lessons to learn about nation-building/occupation/unconventional warfare/etc, there is simply no way a third-line, third world military could stand up to our military in a conventional combat situation. Even if the "invaders" had the support of some sort of domestic fifth column, we have the capability to destroy large armored formations without even directly confronting them if need be.

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”
+1 A T72 is totally ineffective against M1s, or even Bradleys. The Iraqis proved it twice. Our fur hatted friends need to start selling T80s if they want to scare us. Columbia, on the other hand, should start digging defensive positions and looking into the purchase of some AT-4s. Or, against T-72s maybe some old Army surplus dragons would do the trick.