• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How can you find out whats on your NICS?

jimmyw

imported post

I ask because everytime I go and buy a gun I never get instant approval, I always have to wait the 3 days then I can buy. When I lived in Kansas I was not allowed to purchase handguns but I was never told the reason why. Id like to find out what is on my record so I can correct it if possible. I have no criminal record since I turned 18 and my juvinile record is 1 petty theft. I am at a loss to know what is on my record that keeps me from being instantly approved. If anyone can steer me in the right direction it would be very much appreciated. Jimmy

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Jimmyw:

It's possible the petty theft charge is the reason for the 3 day delay. You will probably have to live with it, especially if it resulted in a court decision. However, there are cases of mistaken identity that occasionally cause a problem. Defferent individuals with same name, age and race, birthdate etc. any one of which may cause a problem. As a Wisconsin resident you are only cleared through NICS on long guns. The Wisconsin Department of Justice is the Point of Contact on handgun purchases, NICS doesn't get involved. You were unclear if your purchases as a Wisconsin resident involved long guns or handguns. If they were long guns and the delay was because of the NICS check you may be able to get some info from the following:
ATF Tracing Center 1-800-788-7133 or NICS Customer Service 1-877-444-6427 Option #6. You may or may not get a satisfactory answer to your request. Remember, this is our anti-gun government at work.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Are you talking only about handgun purchases? Have you purchased any long guns, and if so, what happened then? Wisconsin doesn't use NICS for handgun purchases, but it does for rifles and shotguns.

jimmyw

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
Are you talking only about handgun purchases? Have you purchased any long guns, and if so, what happened then? Wisconsin doesn't use NICS for handgun purchases, but it does for rifles and shotguns.
It was for a rifle. Havent tried to purchase a handgun yet here in Wisconsin. My main concern is if I have a problem with NICS then I will probably not be approved for a CCW permit. I know I dont need one here but I have family in Kansas and would like to be able to carry when I go there. Thanks Jimmy

jimmyw

imported post

Lammie wrote:
Jimmyw:

It's possible the petty theft charge is the reason for the 3 day delay. You will probably have to live with it, especially if it resulted in a court decision. However, there are cases of mistaken identity that occasionally cause a problem. Defferent individuals with same name, age and race, birthdate etc. any one of which may cause a problem. As a Wisconsin resident you are only cleared through NICS on long guns. The Wisconsin Department of Justice is the Point of Contact on handgun purchases, NICS doesn't get involved. You were unclear if your purchases as a Wisconsin resident involved long guns or handguns. If they were long guns and the delay was because of the NICS check you may be able to get some info from the following:
ATF Tracing Center 1-800-788-7133 or NICS Customer Service 1-877-444-6427 Option #6. You may or may not get a satisfactory answer to your request. Remember, this is our anti-gun government at work.
Lammie thank you for the information, I will call and see if I can find out anything.

EMSIG

imported post

NICS has a form you can fill out that will give you a number and prevent this problem. I also had an stupid mistake at 18, NICS had me down as a felon took me six months to get the record fixed. I found out after a deny, I apealed and won the dealer had never seen the form that showed I won.

jimmyw

imported post

EMSIG wrote:
NICS has a form you can fill out that will give you a number and prevent this problem. I also had an stupid mistake at 18, NICS had me down as a felon took me six months to get the record fixed. I found out after a deny, I apealed and won the dealer had never seen the form that showed I won.
Thank you very much I will call monday and see what I need to do. Im glad to hear about the form. Again Thanks, Jimmy