• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking to buy a 1911

rodbender

imported post

I'll be looking to buy a 1911 in the near future. I want a full size not a compact. Was thinking about getting one in .40 S&W. Does anybody make one with double or staggered stack mags, in either .40 or .45? Wondering about opinions on the best one to get for a reasonable price. $1000 and under.
1zhelp.gif

[align=right]
progress.gif
[/align]

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Para Ordinance P14.45 is a 14+1 capacity .45ACP full size 1911-style pistol, and the P16.40 is the same gun in .40 S&W. Try finding a range that rents them and shooting them before you buy. You may find that you like the single stack versions better.

rodbender

imported post

My hands are big is the only reason I was wondering about a double stack. A single stack just don't feel right. I've gotfour of those in a Colt from WW II era. I'll try to find a range that rents a double stack. Thanks.

Venkman

imported post

IMHO, 3 outstanding 1911's are:

1) Wilson Combat Defender

2) Kimber Warrior/Desert Warrior/Pro Covert

3) Springfield MC Operator

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I see that you already bought one, but figured that I'd throw my $0.02 in anyway for reference in case someone else is looking for the same thing...

The 'US ARMY' model 1911 is a single stack but it has a deeper grip. I have larger hands, but the grip on that one is still too big for me. The reach is just slightly too far for comfort for me...