• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC holster received today!!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

*I've never tried to write a holster review before so I hope I hit all the important points. I used section headers to help "Cliff's Notes" it to some degree. If anyone has questions, just ask.*

WEB LINK TO HOLSTER:
http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=95

HISTORY:
I have been looking for a good IWB CC holster for a few years now. I bought a cheap (about $10) Bulldog nylon holster that works ok but is a PITA to reholster and if carrying my Sig, it leaves sweat stains on the slide. One of my issues is that I alternate between two different sidearms. Another is that I wear against my skin and didn't want kydex rubbing me raw. Yet another is that I am rather frugal and didn't want to end up with a drawer full of holsters I didn't like after I wore them for a while. Given all of that I spent a long time looking, reading, thinking about this and wieghing my options. Also, I don't like untucked shirts so I needed a holster that was fully tuckable

DECISION TIME:

In 3 weeks I am going to FL to get married. Hot, humid and CC only. I don't want to wear a Panama Jack shirt untucked everwhere although that is a typical manner of dress in the areas we will be. The time crunch eliminated certain holsters that had a long order time. I had my eye on the Minotaur MTAC holster for quite a while and it was in my final 3 so I finally pulled the trigger so to speak last Saturday.

HOLSTER DECISION PROS:

1) Leather backing against the skin with a sweat guard to protect the pistol
2) Kydex holster body making holstering easy
3) Interchangeable holster bodies (holster plus one kydex body $80, each additional kydex body $35)
4) Although I didn't know it when I ordered, it has a retention break built into the kydex body

ORDERING PROCESS:

I ordered a Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC holster for a P228 with an extra "slide" body for XDs with C-clips (one set of clips, your choice of style, come with the holster) online on Saturday. The ordering was uneventful excepting that it is very easy to accidentally check the "paypal" option after filling out credit card info. That took me to a paypal page with a "cancel and return to comp-tac" button. That button did not cancel the paypal order. I ended up with a completed credit card order and pending paypal order. An email to the easily found sales email address led to that extra order being deleted the next business day. I opted for standard ground shipping for $8.50.

I immediately received a receipt email and an order confirmation email.

Being that Monday was a holiday for them, they order was not processed until Tuesday morning. I received an email that morning that the order was being processed. I received another email Tuesday afternoon that the order would be in the mail that evening. I received it in today's mail at my office.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

It came in a priority mail box, inside that being a large ziplock bag and a shipping manifest with a friendly handwritten thank you for my order. Inside the ziplock was the holster with the P228 body attached set at an FBI cant, the XD slide body and 4 extra rubber spacers, 4 extra grommets and 6 extra hex screws (the body takes 2 rubber spacers, 4 grommets and 4 screws to mount to the leather backing), a business card and a hex wrench sized for the hex screws that mount the bodies and the clips.

The backing appears to be a nice piece of leather. The front is a nice light brown shade, the screws are flat black and the metal grommets and clips are black as well. The leather backing pale and appears undyed which I like as I was wearing a white shirts today and was happy to see there was no leather dye to rub off on the shirt. The single line of stitching is even and attractively follows the contour of the holster.

The front of the kydex body slides under the leather and is secured by 2 hex screws. The back of the body is also attached by 2 hex screws but have rubber bushings allowing the tension of the holster to the leather body to be adjusted. The 2 clips also attach with a rubber bushing, metal grommet and hex screw. Loosening and tightening the clip screws allows the clips to rotate more or less which in initial fit testing seems to have some effect on how well the holster moves with my body.

My manager who brought in the mail including the holster stuck around in my office to see it. I looked it over well, unloaded and test fit my Sig. The only negative was that the decocking lever immediately put a long scratch on the leather. :( But that part is covered by the kydex body so it is all good. I slipped it on.

It went on easily without having to undo my pants. I just had to loosen the belt a few notches. It comes on and off about as easily as my Blackhawk SERPA paddle.

I was wearing a "dress T" and a thin cotton sweater over that today. I put on the holster with the t-shirt between it and my body and then tucked in the sweater over the pistol. She said it looked good and was not obvious unless you looked hard at my belt line and saw the buldge on the one side. Then I pulled up my sweater from over my pistol and tried a test draw.

Ok, I hate to admit it but I think that a sign of maturity is being able to laugh at yourself. I couldn't draw the pistol. I tried again and only managed to flex the clips and give myself a wedgie. By this time my manager is in tears and calls to my other manager to come in and see the "gunfighter" who can't get the friggin' thing out of the holster. :X :( :banghead: Luckily they are very dear to me and we rib each other a lot so I blushingly laughed along with them.

What I realized in playing with the holster for a while longer is that the trigger guard catch built into the kydex isn't just a catch, it is also a break. You have to push the butt of the pistol inward towards your body as you draw to clear it. If you try to draw outward or even straight up, you are going to break the clips and pull the holster out of your pants before that pistol comes out. I thought it would have zero retention however, I am please to find out that is not the case.

I played with adjusting the tension of the kydex body some and found I had to loosen it a bit from the factory tension to get a smooth draw, at least for now. As I wear it and break it in I'm sure that will change. Also, I noticed that where I wear it on my body, which effects the curve of the leather, coupled with the tension of the back screws with the bushings, effects how much push is required to overcome the break.

I haven't tried it with the XD body yet but will hopefully have time this weekend.

Overall so far I am very pleased with my purchase on all levels. For 123.50 I basically got 2 IWB leather backed, kydex holsters for both of my primary carry pistols. So far I highly recommend this holster.

ETA: web link

ETA2: Engraved on the backside of the kydex body is what pistol it is for so you don't have to try to guess.

Also, because of the way it fits on the belt, if you have to do sit down bathroom business, I have no problem leaving the Sig in the holster and keeping my pants with holstered sidearm at my knees. May sound like an odd thing to add to the review but being that we have had several page discussions about what to do with a sidearm when sitting in the bathroom, I thought I would add this tidbit.

lnd svyr

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Great write-up deepdiver. And timely, too. I just bought a Sig P229R DAK and I am researching holsters. The Crossbreed Supertuck and the Comp-Tac Minotaur or Spartan are in contention. I have had two inexpensive single clip IWBs and they both have been very uncomfortable (Hume 715 for Beretta 92FS and High Noon Split Decision). Which is why I carry mostly in DeSantis Speed Scabbards.

I like the idea of open carry but don't do it because I don't want the attention. So, I need something very concealable and the speed scabbards don't quite do it--and, I do not like shirts hanging out looking sloppy (which is how I've looked since I began carrying--of course, looking lopsided with IWB is something I'm going to have to work around :D ).

I just found out I can carry the P229 temporarily in my DeSantis SOB for the XD9 as it fits the Sig nicely.

I have been reading reviews of the Minotaur and it gets high marks from everyone and and all agree that Comp-Tac's customer service is the best.

I am pretty sure I am going with Comp-Tac (over Crossbreed) due to the following:

1. Clip adjustment holes are on the clips and not the leather backer;

2. Availability of a multitude of Kydex bodies make one holster into many; and,

3. Customer service (though I have heard nothing but good about Crossbreed).

Now, to decide between Minotaur and Spartan.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I can tell you why I went with the Minotaur over the Spartan and the confirmation of that decision in my mind FWIW although throwing out the disclaimer that I have not tried a Spartan:

1) The leather facing of the Minotaur is quite handsome. The half dozen people who I have shown it to have all commented on how nice the leather front of the holster looks. The Spartan leather does not have the nice finish. Being that you are in VA (and for me because of places I visit) and will likely to have occasion to IWB OC in places such as ABC restaurants, I think it is nice to have a good looking holster.

2) With the Minotaur, the leading edge of the kydex slides between the two layers of leather whereas with the Spartan's single layer it is top on leading and trailing edges. It seems to me that the Minotaur's design gives more stability to the holster.

3) Speaking of stability, the 2 layers of leather on the Minotaur gives quite a bit of rigidity to the entire leather backing which I would think would add comfort.

4) On the comfort issue, having all the rivets covered with smooth leather, when wearing against your skin, I would think has to be more comfortable. Also, the "saddled" leather backing is smooth, whereas the single layer is rough leather on the back. The backing is in places where the holster has movement when wearing it which I expect allows it to be more comfortable against skin and less wearing on tucked in shirts such as an undershirt. The double layer seems to be in all the right places to increase comfort while maintaining flexibility. I can only imagine how much more comfortable it will be when broken in fully.

5) The Minotaur is only $16 more. As I intend to have this holster for many years, the extra few dollars amortorized over the life of the holster is really insignificant given my perceived advantages of the Minotaur's more finished design.

6) And speaking of longevity, it just makes sense that 2 layers of leather (in the right places) will outlast a single layer.

TheMrMitch

imported post

Great review...thanks. My Fobus paddlefor my Glock 21 was so tight I nearly pulled my pants into my arm pit. Someone on the internet suggested armorall inside holster. It helped a lot! :)

M

mdgary

imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
Great review...thanks. My Fobus paddlefor my Glock 21 was so tight I nearly pulled my pants into my arm pit. Someone on the internet suggested armorall inside holster. It helped a lot! :)
My fobus paddle holster has a tension screw in the trigger guard area..Try loosening it a little if yours has one. I actually had to tighten mine.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Update re XD holster body and living with this for about 24 hours+ of wear:

I swapped out the kydex bodies to try out the XD today. I got the XD slide which fits any XD excepting the XD(M) rather than the one made specifically for my XD45 compact service which might have been a bad idea.

The kydex body swap was not by any means difficult and the design prevents installing it incorrectly. Only requires a minute or two of inspecting the parts to realize how to disassemble and swap. I did find that the screws on the trailing edge required care and a few false starts to get them in straight. It would be very easy IMO to get the screws in crooked and gall or even strip the threads, most likely on the rivet rather than the screw requiring sending it in for repair.

I'm not as happy with this one as I am with the Sig body. The XD sits higher on the backing reaching with the back of the slide actually slightly protruding past the top of the sweat shield area. As the Sig and XD are nearly the same length, I can use the marks from the Sig muzzle to confidently state that the XD sits up ~ 1/2" higher relative to the leather backing than does the Sig.

This XD body also has no break. Whereas the Sig trigger guard catch is fairly deep and tear drop shaped with the point toward the trigger, the XD catch is just a round indentation and not deep enough to provide any more than a little friction on the draw. It may be that my Sig body had a deeper than spec indentation making the break feature accidental given that a break feature is no where in the literature. Regardless I really like it and found it a fortitous (if initially embarassing) surprise and am disappointed that it is not evident on the XD body.

Because of the size of my sidearms, I have to carry at 3:00 to keep from having the muzzle dig in my thigh when sitting. One annoying issue then is that the bottom of the front clip will dig into my thigh if I don't have the holster positioned just right or unless I move it back to the 3:30-4:00 area. If I find I do not use the bottom hole of the clip, I will probably cut off the bottom 1/2" of the clip which should solve the problem.

CONCEALABILITY wearing jeans that fit well, but are not in any place especially tight or loose with just enough room in the waist to comfortably don and doff the holster without unbuttoning:

For reference, I'm just over 6'3", ~235lbs with a ~36" waist, just under 15% body fat. Average body fat for a healthy male my age, average waist, bigger than average guy overall but proportional to my height probably built much like an average, semi-althetic 5'10" male around 175-180 lbs.

I can comfortably conceal the Sig P228 or XD45 with the 10 round short mag under a tucked in t-shirt if not pulled tight or under a fully tucked in button down shirt although some minor printing might occur if seated, moreso with the XD than the Sig because the Sig holster fit puts it flatter against my side than the XD body does.

I can conceal the XD45 with the fully size 13 rd mag under a tucked in loose t-shirt and under a dress shirt mostly. Under the dress shirt if I tuck it semi-tight or twist my body, the bottom of the grip would be evident to someone paying attention. It would also likely be noticable in either if seated.

I'm going to retest all of these with a pair of slacks. I think the concealability will be improved as the holster will be more free to rotate and stay upright thereby keeping the grip more against my ribs with the slacks.

David.Car

imported post

Good choice. I have a MTAC for my Sig P226 and have had absolutely zero complaints. Comp-Tac has awesome customer service, and keeps you up to date on the entire ordering process.

I just have one question... Did yours come with candy too? ;)

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

David.Car wrote:
Good choice. I have a MTAC for my Sig P226 and have had absolutely zero complaints. Comp-Tac has awesome customer service, and keeps you up to date on the entire ordering process.

Yeah, I forgot that in my list of things inside the ziplock bag. There was a single roll of Smarties in the bag as well.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Good write up, but how is the break while in the stall with pants at knee level?
Never know when a congressmen is sitting in the next one trying to rub feet.:banghead:

kurtmax_0

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
David.Car wrote:

Yeah, I forgot that in my list of things inside the ziplock bag.  There was a single roll of Smarties in the bag as well.

Haven't used an MTAC but I just received my C-TAC a few weeks ago. Yep.. candy in the bag. It doesn't conceal as well as my old holster (A homemade frankenstein nylon holster) but the added retention and hard trigger cover is worth it.

eyesopened

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
David.Car wrote:

Yeah, I forgot that in my list of things inside the ziplock bag. There was a single roll of Smarties in the bag as well.
haha, yeah I got the same a few weeks ago when I ordered some replacement clips for my ctac. I've been looking at getting a minotaur for a while. It's a toss up between that and a milt sparks versa max II. With the MS VMII, I'd have to wait a few months so that's pushing the minotaur right now for me.

eyesopened

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
David.Car wrote:

haha, yeah I got the same a few weeks ago when I ordered some replacement clips for my ctac. I've been looking at getting a minotaur for a while. It's a toss up between that and a milt sparks versa max II. With the MS VMII, I'd have to wait a few months so that's pushing the minotaur right now for me.

David.Car

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
Not to mention the price difference ;)