• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Utah Concealed Carry Classes...

pdxwarrior

imported post

Not sure who may be interested, but I just signed up to take Jim Jacobe's class for the Utah Concealed License. I received my Oregon CHL earlier this year and figure that with the current political climate it can't be bad to get a jump on the license now.

Looks like this is the last one scheduled before the end of the year with Jim's group. Oregon Firearms Acadamy doesn't have another one scheduled until January.

Jim's class is on November 2nd in Salem, Oregon. Check the calendar:

http://jimjacobe.com/Calendar2008/November.htm

NOTE: This is a completely shameless post by someone just trying to put the word out there - I am not in anyway affiliated with this group other than that fact I have scheduled to take the course.

Btw, if anyone has taken this class, I'd love to hear reviews - others might as well.

kparker

imported post

I took Jim's class offered at Firearms Academy of Seattle. He's a good instructor, and even stuck around afterwards to do a little session on Oregon CCW for all of us WA folks (not required for an OR permit, but valuable info even so.)

My only quibble (and I use that term advisedly, it's not a big thing) is that a lot of the video he uses during the class comes from Chicago and Southern California, and so it has a somewhat gun-unfriendly feel to it. On the other hand, you can always just use it to reinforce the "Thank God I don't live in Chicago or SoCal" sentiment you probably already feel! :)

pdxwarrior

imported post

Hey Kparker -

Thanks for the feedback. Interesting... video from SoCal and Chicago. Curious as to how that all fits in since the Utah permit isn't valid in any of those locations.

As for being happy that I don't live in those states, I can relate. I grew up here but spent three years living in San Diego. It's a nice place but it sure isn't home.

kparker

imported post

It was just a video on generic justifiable-use-of-force issues. Not state or location specific, just that the experts interviewed were pretty much all from Chi or SoCal, and excessively reflected that point of view, IMO.

I will say that the segments of the video featuring interviews with actual inmates more than made up for the other parts of the video.