• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thumb on top of safety, do you use this method?

open4years

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
eyesopened wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
I don't understand how you can activate the safety on a 1911 by firing it.
I only do it when shooting the EMP. A full size or commander version I don't have a problem with flicking the safety to the safe position.
Ah, the EMP's the small 9mm 1911, right? I guess the small size would make it possible.

I still don't see how it could happen. I have a Colt .380 in 1911 safety style, along with a .25 auto with a big safety and I've NEVER had my thumb flip the safety on with these or any of my guns.

Perhaps I grip my gun tighter than some, I'm not sure. I have large hands yet I don't have a problem. Maybe it only happens in a gun fight!

open4years