• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Haggen letter

Richard6218

imported post

joz00 wrote:
I did get the gist of the letter as I did read it before I posted. I was referring to this comment.

"There is an actuarial formula that is used to project statistical data to a segment of population. The Haggen guy actually used it as rebuttal against me in my debate with him about my rights under RCW. "There are more people who don't have guns than those who do." I made reference to this in my post in the DNP thread about that encounter, I believe page 15."

I understand that they can ask you not to patronize their establishment if they wish. I was stating that the assistant manager's rationalization was absurd regarding the stastitics he used to prop up his position. I had stated that telling you flat out that it was against their policy was one thing but to try to convince you that it was "right" for them to ban guns by using a theory which in my mind holds no weight what so ever was foolish.

I don't think I stated anywhere that I thought you could carry in Haggen no matter their policy in my previous post. Hence my parting comment about how I would be looking forward to seeing how this worked out as I would not want to patronize a company who banned good people from being able to protect themselves. I try to be very careful about what I state, particularly in writing. If you still think I missed the point please let me know.
My point was that the manager's statement about numbers of people was irrelevant to his authority to trespass me. If he wants to trespass me he doesn't need a reason.He can say I looked cross-eyed at him if he wants, and that's reason enough under the law. Once he has notified me of trespass he can have me arrested next time I enter his premises.

joz00

imported post

Richard6218 wrote:
My point was that the manager's statement about numbers of people was irrelevant to his authority to trespass me. If he wants to trespass me he doesn't need a reason.He can say I looked cross-eyed at him if he wants, and that's reason enough under the law. Once he has notified me of trespass he can have me arrested next time I enter his premises.
Fair enough, I understand that was your intention when posting the anectdote about the manager. I would say that link was tenuously insinuated at best, and I did not pick up on it as the previous statement you were commenting on was responding to the theory that phoning, faxing etc might help bring the issue to better light.

To clarify my post, I was sympathizing with what happened to you and was also questioning why someone would try to justify the supression of your rights with a statistical theory. I didn't use the "quote" feature which may have thrown you off on what I was commenting on.

heresolong

imported post

deanf wrote:
Why is Richard not writing this letter?
One reason is that Richard has managed to get himself kicked out of half the stores in Ferndale. I have been openly carrying for far longer than Richard in the same area and haven't been approached once. I thought that, given his history, maybe I should attack this one.

No offense intended Richard, just an analysis of the probability of success based on past performance.:)

Richard6218

imported post

heresolong wrote:
deanf wrote:
One reason is that Richard has managed to get himself kicked out of half the stores in Ferndale. I have been openly carrying for far longer than Richard in the same area and haven't been approached once. I thought that, given his history, maybe I should attack this one.

No offense intended Richard, just an analysis of the probability of success based on past performance.:)
Be my guest. I stand by my original answer that they need to hear it from more than one of us so I guess that puts you on the pulpit.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

heresolong wrote:
deanf wrote:

Out of curiosity, is there any analysis as to why Richard has been kicked out of "half the stores in Ferndale" but others have not? What is different about Richard's look, approach, attitude, interaction, or whatever that is likely the cause of this discrepancy?

heresolong

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Out of curiosity, is there any analysis as to why Richard has been kicked out of "half the stores in Ferndale" but others have not? What is different about Richard's look, approach, attitude, interaction, or whatever that is likely the cause of this discrepancy?
No idea. And I was sort of kidding about the "half the stores". He had the manager approach him in both Costcutter and Haggen.

Richard6218

imported post

heresolong wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
No idea. And I was sort of kidding about the "half the stores". He had the manager approach him in both Costcutter and Haggen.
I really don't know myself. Maybe it's my huge Glock that sticks out from my hip. Another reason to look for a compact. With the cold weather coming maybe I'll just CC at least some of the time. BTW, heresolong, the Haggen guy did say that he would not object to CC. (He wouldn't have much to say about it if he doesn't know I'm doing it.) Also, once we get the Haggen issue resolved I think I will resurrect the Cost Cutter thing. It wasn't in writing but I got it straight from the Cost Cutter corporate security mgr that firearms are not permitted in their stores. That's for later.....

Richard6218

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
I decided to go to Haggens today off of Meridian get my coffee and see if they had any sales. No problems or mention of my sidearm at all.
I've never been in that store, so I don't know their attitude. I'd be interested to hear if you have anything happen after half a dozen OC visits. As an aside, I think the problem I had was more to do with the local manager in Ferndale -- I think he's just basically a gun-hater and I became a target for him. BTW, I've still never heard back from the Haggen CEO.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I used to know some of the Haggen boys years ago, I wish I could do some sort of follow up with them personally.

I don't live close to Haggens any more but I will find more excuses to go there, my geuss is you are probably rigth the manager up there might have personal issues.

heresolong

imported post

I used to know some of the Haggen boys years ago, I wish I could do some sort of follow up with them personally.
Why can't you? Call and reintroduce yourself and explain why you are getting back in touch after all these years.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

It wasn't a personal freindship between me and them. My mother had worked for the original Haggen store and I had several freinds who knew them and so I have met and had some association with them. But this was 20 yrs. ago, I probably would have felt comfortable approaching them then, but now I don't feel it would be appropriate. I doubt they would even know me at all.

heresolong

imported post

It wasn't a personal freindship between me and them. My mother had worked for the original Haggen store and I had several freinds who knew them and so I have met and had some association with them. But this was 20 yrs. ago, I probably would have felt comfortable approaching them then, but now I don't feel it would be appropriate. I doubt they would even know me at all.
Too bad. Although if your mother worked for the original store you could certainly call them up, explain who you are and your relationship to the history of the store, and ask for a few minutes of time to discuss the issue. Certainly a better connection than any of us have. I'd be more than happy to attend a meeting with you if you could set it up, as would, I'm sure, Richard.

Richard6218

imported post

heresolong wrote:
Too bad. Although if your mother worked for the original store you could certainly call them up, explain who you are and your relationship to the history of the store, and ask for a few minutes of time to discuss the issue. Certainly a better connection than any of us have. I'd be more than happy to attend a meeting with you if you could set it up, as would, I'm sure, Richard.
For sure I'd attend but because of my history with them I don't think I could be anything like the point man.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I have been mulling over the advise, and thinking a letter to Rick or Don might be a good idea. I have been doing some research to try to find out their political veiws but google just doesn't seem to have anything. I have mispoke about mother working in original store she worked in the original superstore the one on Meridian, and it wasn't a career employement decision. I do know someone an old freind of mines father who has worked there for I would say 30 years. When his son had some trouble with the law Rick or Don I can't remember wich wrote a personal letter to the judge that helped with his case. There have been other stories of what they have done in helping out employees, I would like to point those thoughts out too, just want to make sure I am accurate on my facts.

I am just not sure were to start, on the letter though. I like Heresolong's ideas, but I am not the best formulator of thoughts. It might take me some time to work something up.