Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 72

Thread: One Man Band Diner

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    American Fork, Utah, USA
    Posts
    158

    Post imported post

    The one man band in Pleasant Grove decided that they did not like the fact that I was open carrying. They asked me when we placed our order if I would cover up. I told them that I would just take my business elsewhere and that I would not visit their establishment again. I will also send an email to the owner and explain my feelings on this matter. I have been to the one in Lehi and have never been asked to leave or cover up. I am really disappointed in their choice. I thought you might want to know that they appose open carry.

    questions@onemanbanddiner.com.

    Feel free to voice your feelings as well. I will keep you guys updated when and if I hear back from them.

    Email below:
    To whom it may concern,

    Tonight I went to the restaurant in Pleasant Grove. We sat down and picked up the phone to order. When my wife finished placing our order, the young man on the phone asked if I was the one carrying a firearm openly. My wife said that I was and the young man then asked if I would cover it up. Now I do have a current Utah Conceal Permit and could cover legally. However, if I did not have one then your employee would be requesting for me to break state law. I am extremely disappointed with this. I have frequented the Lehi store many times while open carrying and not had any problems whatsoever. I am also concerned that if a police officer were to enter the store if the same employee would ask them to cover up. If they would not then that is a double standard. I have a bachelors degree in criminal justice/law enforcement and am waiting to attend the academy to become a police officer. As a Utah Concealed Permit holder, I am subject to a daily criminal check and have been through an extensive FBI background check and found to be trustworthy enough to carry a loaded firearm even to a school as a substitute teacher. How much do you know about your other customers especially the criminal that may be concealing illegally. As per my disappointment I am therefore not going to frequent any of your restraints again. I have also let all of the other open carriers and permit holders in Utah the situation and urged them to take their money to other 2nd amendment friendly establishments. Good luck in your endeavors.

    Sincerely,

    Mazellan (full name omitted)

  2. #2
    Guest

    Post imported post


  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    American Fork, Utah, USA
    Posts
    158

    Post imported post

    The "one man" behind the counter was either the one who initiated the request or there was a customer complained. If it was a customer I know which one it was because there was a guy in the next booth who was giving the stinkeye. However, I chose not to push the issue but rather let them know that because they felt I should cover my civil rights I would take my hard earned cash elsewhere and notify their corporate office.

  4. #4
    Guest

    Post imported post


  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saratoga Springs, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,221

    Post imported post

    mazellan819 wrote:
    The one man band in Pleasant Grove decided that they did not like the fact that I was open carrying. They asked me when we placed our order if I would cover up. I told them that I would just take my business elsewhere and that I would not visit their establishment again. I will also send an email to the owner and explain my feelings on this matter. I have been to the one in Lehi and have never been asked to leave or cover up. I am really disappointed in their choice. I thought you might want to know that they appose open carry.

    questions@onemanbanddiner.com.

    Feel free to voice your feelings as well. I will keep you guys updated when and if I hear back from them.

    Email below:
    To whom it may concern,

    Tonight I went to the restaurant in Pleasant Grove. We sat down and picked up the phone to order. When my wife finished placing our order, the young man on the phone asked if I was the one carrying a firearm openly. My wife said that I was and the young man then asked if I would cover it up. Now I do have a current Utah Conceal Permit and could cover legally. However, if I did not have one then your employee would be requesting for me to break state law. I am extremely disappointed with this. I have frequented the Lehi store many times while open carrying and not had any problems whatsoever. I am also concerned that if a police officer were to enter the store if the same employee would ask them to cover up. If they would not then that is a double standard. I have a bachelors degree in criminal justice/law enforcement and am waiting to attend the academy to become a police officer. As a Utah Concealed Permit holder, I am subject to a daily criminal check and have been through an extensive FBI background check and found to be trustworthy enough to carry a loaded firearm even to a school as a substitute teacher. How much do you know about your other customers especially the criminal that may be concealing illegally. As per my disappointment I am therefore not going to frequent any of your restraints again. I have also let all of the other open carriers and permit holders in Utah the situation and urged them to take their money to other 2nd amendment friendly establishments. Good luck in your endeavors.

    Sincerely,

    Mazellan (full name omitted)
    Sounds like you did the right thing. You didn't make a scene, or give the sever or management any reason to feel validated in asking you to conceal. Also, I like that you left right there and then. it makes a strong statement and it is very inspiring.

    Way to keep a level head. Keep us posted on any further communications.

  6. #6
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828

    Post imported post

    Sounds like I need to go to the "ONE MAN BAND" place in Pleasant Grove as see if I get the same treatment.... so they can get the same treatment from me!



    JoeSparky
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    91

    Post imported post

    JoeSparky wrote:
    Sounds like I need to go to the "ONE MAN BAND" place in Pleasant Grove as see if I get the same treatment.... so they can get the same treatment from me!



    JoeSparky
    me too.



  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Provo, Utah, USA
    Posts
    110

    Post imported post


  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Payson, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,146

    Post imported post

    same thing happened to me in the payson one man band. i wont OC there anymore because they asked me to leave. looking back, i shoulda asked for a refund LOL

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hilton Head, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    524

    Post imported post

    pitythefools wrote:
    How dare they have an opinion or beleif that is not the same as ours.
    They have a right to whatever opinion or belief they choose. We aren't forcing them to opine or believe anything. They, however, are attempting to force US to act within THEIR beliefs when they ask us to remove or cover our lawfully-possessed firearms.

    As a business, they step into dangerous territory when they project their beliefs on the public. They gamble with their business when they promote ideology rather than product and service. Customers can and do voice their approval (or disapproval) with their wallets.

    The OP has made clear to the management how he disapproves, and that his spending will reflect that.

    Isn't the free market a wonderful thing?

  11. #11
    Guest

    Post imported post


  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saratoga Springs, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,221

    Post imported post

    Pulled that sentence right outta my head, scary! :celebrate

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    American Fork, Utah, USA
    Posts
    158

    Post imported post

    thoughtpolice wrote:
    Hef wrote:
    Isn't the free market a wonderful thing?
    With the market down some 5000 points or 37%, Id have to say we need to rethink the ideas of "free" markets.*
    Point of correction, the term free market has to deal with one company competing against another company selling similar products. With competition technology increases. Wall street is different. They invest their money in companies and depend on the "market" or stock market number to increase therefore making a profit. The process of investing in stocks has nothing to do with competition of the free market. Investing is a way to make a profit from the free market.

    Edit: Words to live by. Do not invest money you can not afford to loose.

    I have not lost any money due to the fact that I have no money I can afford to loose.

  14. #14
    Guest

    Post imported post


  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    American Fork, Utah, USA
    Posts
    158

    Post imported post

    thoughtpolice wrote:
    mazellan819 wrote:

    Point of correction, the term free market has to deal with one company competing against another company selling similar products. With competition technology increases. Wall street is different. They invest their money in companies and depend on the "market" or stock market number to increase therefore making a profit. The process of investing in stocks has nothing to do with competition of the free market. Investing is a way to make a profit from the free market.
    Im aware of how markets work, the point is one impacts the other fluidly, its a two way street.* With the way the STOCK market is, it is an indicator of how free markets are functioning(or lack there of).
    It is not a two way street. Investing in the stocks have nothing to do with a company doing well. Buying stock only benefits the stock holder. If the company does well then the stock holders profit. If the company does bad the stock holder looses money. Explain how someone investing in stocks has an effect on how well the company does?

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    American Fork, Utah, USA
    Posts
    158

    Post imported post

    Since you decided to hijack my thread!!

  17. #17
    Guest

    Post imported post


  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    American Fork, Utah, USA
    Posts
    158

    Post imported post

    thoughtpolice wrote:
    mazellan819 wrote:
    It is not a two way street. Investing in the stocks have nothing to do with a company doing well. Buying stock only benefits the stock holder. If the company does well then the stock holders profit. If the company does bad the stock holder looses money. Explain how someone investing in stocks has an effect on how well the company does?
    Im kinda sick of all the fighting and "one-upping" that goes on at this site, constant bickering and chest thumping.* I feel like Im at church. *You can win, free markets and the stock market have NO bearing on eachother.*
    Huh? You brought it up and now you give up at the first sign of opposition?

    Well sorry I got your panties all bunched up.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    91

    Post imported post

    thoughtpolice wrote:
    mazellan819 wrote:
    It is not a two way street. Investing in the stocks have nothing to do with a company doing well. Buying stock only benefits the stock holder. If the company does well then the stock holders profit. If the company does bad the stock holder looses money. Explain how someone investing in stocks has an effect on how well the company does?
    Im kinda sick of all the fighting and "one-upping" that goes on at this site, constant bickering and chest thumping. I feel like Im at church. You can win, free markets and the stock market have NO bearing on eachother.
    "I feel like Im at church."

    LOL that is classic!

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    152

    Post imported post

    I like the food there.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Heber, Utah, USA
    Posts
    173

    Post imported post

    mazellan819 wrote:
    It is not a two way street. Investing in the stocks have nothing to do with a company doing well. Buying stock only benefits the stock holder. If the company does well then the stock holders profit. If the company does bad the stock holder looses money. Explain how someone investing in stocks has an effect on how well the company does?
    Why do you think a company sells their stock? It is so they can raise capital ($$$) to reinvest into the company. They sell off part of the comapny with the hope that the new capital will help it grow. Sounds like a big benefit for the company.

  22. #22
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    4,792

    Post imported post

    ainokea wrote:
    Why do you think a company sells their stock? It is so they can raise capital ($$$) to reinvest into the company. They sell off part of the comapny with the hope that the new capital will help it grow. Sounds like a big benefit for the company.
    This is true during the IPO (initial public offering) or at other times when the company decides to sell stock.

    However, most of the time, the stock that is bought and sold is being exchanged between third parties. The money does NOT go into the company. So at a first pass, buying stock on the open market generally has no direct benefit to the company unless you are buying directly from the company itself.

    Taken to a 2nd order analysis things change a bit. Your purchase of stock, even on the free market, helps demonstrate demand for that stock which keeps the price up. This can benefit the company if it decides to sell additional stock to raise money.

    More common however is that large stock owners in a company are often company officers. Higher stock prices certainly benefit them when they decide to liquidate their personally owned shares. These are the guys who most often could affect policy change.




    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

    "With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

    "Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

  23. #23
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828

    Post imported post

    Did my PROMISED trip to ONE MAN BAND this afternoon.

    Did all but point to the holstered weapon on my hip in an attempt to get someone to say something too me.... NO JOY!

    I don't know if the experience others had has been squashed as a result of letters written or not. Or if the just don't think that an old fat grey haired guy with a mustache is a threat.


    Maybe it is just a selective fear of weapons... like we only worry about openly carried holstered weapons on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday and today is Friday, so no problem.

    For the record I will NOT be ordering the Fish and Chips again!

    JoeSparky
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Heber, Utah, USA
    Posts
    173

    Post imported post

    JoeSparky wrote:
    ...old fat grey haired guy with a mustache...
    They probably thought you were an undercover cop!!

    On the serious side it may have been the opinion of the employee that made the comment (asking to cover up the gun) not the company policy!

  25. #25
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828

    Post imported post

    ainokea wrote:
    JoeSparky wrote:
    ...old fat grey haired guy with a mustache...
    They probably thought you were an undercover cop!!

    On the serious side it may have been the opinion of the employee that made the comment (asking to cover up the gun) not the company policy!
    Couldn't have been.... NO DONUTS!:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:ce lebrate

    JoeSparky

    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •