• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Two strap holster?

richarcm

imported post

I have a 1911 and I want to carry it in condition 1 but am still a little edgy about it. One thing that would make me feel better is if I could find a holster that has two straps. Well really one strap/button that splits off. One portion of it splits off to secure the gun the other portion splits off to secure the hammer. With the realease of a single button you disengage both straps. I haven't really done much research on this but have not really noticed anything like this at the stores or shows.

I'd be interested in something for OC and for CC.

Thanks!

FogRider

imported post

I don't think you'd need two straps. My Galco holster has one strap that goes over the gun and under the hammer. It holds the gun securely, and keeps a piece of leather under the hammer. I would suggest you stop in a store that will let you fit your gun and try a few out.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

A well built, modern 1911 is IMO among the safest handguns made. It is designed to carry in condition 1 - cocked & locked - w/one in the tube.

To fire one must: disengage the manual safety, compress the grip safety and fully depress the trigger. Additionally many 1911s have a beavertail which as a secondary benefit protects the hammer from any "hits" - virtually all such are considered "drop proof."

How many other handguns do you know of that have that many safety protections?

After work and week-ends my regular carry is a cocked & locked 1911 in a Serpa (no strap) - it's safe, secure and rapidly deployable.

Love John B's creation - especially the present state.

Yata hey

AbNo

imported post

FogRider wrote:
I don't think you'd need two straps. My Galco holster has one strap that goes over the gun and under the hammer. It holds the gun securely, and keeps a piece of leather under the hammer. I would suggest you stop in a store that will let you fit your gun and try a few out.
This.

Grapeshot wrote:
My regular carry is a cocked & locked 1911 in a Serpa (no strap) - it's safe, secure and rapidly deployable.

Love John B's creation - especially the present state.

Yata hey
And this. :)

spurrit

imported post

Being that paranoid, I'd suggest:

1.)You NOT carry until you're more comfortable with, and confident in, your gun.

2.)Get a Sig 220, with the beavertail. It'll feel the same as your 1911, and has a DA/SA trigger and decocker.

3.)Get a full flap holster, so the whole damn thing is covered. Current issue military type ones are pretty decent.

Walker

imported post

I carry my 1911 in condition-1, and use a Galco Combat Master (no straps) for OWB, and a Crossbreed Supertuck for IWB.

It did take a bit of getting used to the idea, but once youunderstand all the safetys that are engaged in that condition, it's no problem.

My Kahr is also carried with one in the pipe......

Walker

Shorts

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

richarcm wrote:
I have a 1911 and I want to carry it in condition 1 but am still a little edgy about it. One thing that would make me feel better is if I could find a holster that has two straps. Well really one strap/button that splits off. One portion of it splits off to secure the gun the other portion splits off to secure the hammer. With the realease of a single button you disengage both straps. I haven't really done much research on this but have not really noticed anything like this at the stores or shows.

I'd be interested in something for OC and for CC.

Thanks!

If you need a little wade in to the 1911, unload the gun and carry it C&L for a couple days. That should give you some ease when you see its safe.

I carry a a 1911 C&L with no qualms. Even if the thumb safety gets flipped off, you still have the trigger and grip safety to overcome to make the gun shoot.

I have considered offering the type of thumb break you talk about but its a bit unnecessary and redundant as far as safety goes.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

picture.JPG

richarcm

imported post

marshaul wrote:
You're all quite welcome. :) I'm glad that folks understand my intended purpose in posting that here. :D
You are good for something sometimes.

I've since started carrying it C&L...still a little more nervous about it. But I have also done the reading on it and realize that most everyone agrees that it is fairly safe. It's a mental thing I suppose....

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

richarcm wrote:
marshaul wrote:
You're all quite welcome. :) I'm glad that folks understand my intended purpose in posting that here. :D
You are good for something sometimes.

I've since started carrying it C&L...still a little more nervous about it. But I have also done the reading on it and realize that most everyone agrees that it is fairly safe. It's a mental thing I suppose....
Actually, carrying a 1911 in condition one (cocked & locked, locked & loaded) is extremely safe. That is the only way I would recommend carrying JMB's creation.

Yata hey