• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Age in Ohio

blacktalon47

imported post

I am slightly confused. The map on this website says that OC Age in Ohio is 18. But in Ohio you cannot possess a handgun unless you are 21 years old or older. Is the Map wrong. Is it referring to rifles??? or is the Ohio law just contradictive.

Edit: Ok so I read some other posts and see that it is Legal to Posses just not to purchase. And it would be illegal to receive as a gift.

So now the question is. If an 18 year old from Ohio went to Indiana to purchase a handgun (I think its legal in IN, correct me if I'm wrong). An then brought it back to Ohio this would be legal. Correct??

Does anyone know where in the ORC it says you can open carry at 18?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

blacktalon47 wrote:
I am slightly confused. The map on this website says that OC Age in Ohio is 18. But in Ohio you cannot possess a handgun unless you are 21 years old or older. Is the Map wrong. Is it referring to rifles??? or is the Ohio law just contradictive.

Edit: Ok so I read some other posts and see that it is Legal to Posses just not to purchase. And it would be illegal to receive as a gift.

So now the question is. If an 18 year old from Ohio went to Indiana to purchase a handgun (I think its legal in IN, correct me if I'm wrong). An then brought it back to Ohio this would be legal. Correct??

Does anyone know where in the ORC it says you can open carry at 18?
It does not say it.

2923.211 Underage purchase of firearm or handgun. (A) No person under eighteen years of age shall purchase or attempt to purchase a firearm.

(B) No person under twenty-one years of age shall purchase or attempt to purchase a handgun, provided that this division does not apply to the purchase or attempted purchase of a handgun by a person eighteen years of age or older and under twenty-one years of age if the person eighteen years of age or older and under twenty-one years of age is a law enforcement officer who is properly appointed or employed as a law enforcement officer and has received firearms training approved by the Ohio peace officer training council or equivalent firearms training.

(C) Whoever violates division (A) of this section is guilty of underage purchase of a firearm, a delinquent act that would be a felony of the fourth degree if it could be committed by an adult. Whoever violates division (B) of this section is guilty of underage purchase of a handgun, a misdemeanor of the second degree. Effective Date: 01-01-2002
Keeping the Constitution in mind. Lets review your question. Your question did not distinguish between long guns and handguns. Hence, I answered 18 long guns and 21 handguns. Logic then says 18 open carry long gun and 21 open carry handgun. If I can purchase, I can carry.

ScottFNP40

imported post

I'm 19 and have OC'ed before and been stopped by the cops, with no problems. The federal Government allows a parent to purchase and give a handgun to their child being that they are over age 18. Now since ohio says otherwise, you can say screw you to Ohio, because of a little part of the constitution called the supremacy clause. this clause deems the federal governments laws to be the law of the land, and says that federal laws automatical prevail over conflicting state laws. here is the clause it's self.

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

I hope this helps you out, I too just found this out about a week ago, but it clearly states what all I have said.

Legba

imported post

As I understand it, the inheritance situation is a bit bizzarre in Ohio and some other states. A person 18-20, inclusive, who inherits a bequeathed handgun can hold legal title to it, but cannot take exclusive possession of it until they are 21. Any use of said gun must fall under one of the exceptions for employment, training, or supervised use. Fine hairsplitting when you can own something and yet not possess it at will, eh?

-ljp