• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New member, ?'s about OC and CCP

Myright2possess

imported post

Hello,

Living in Frederick Co, (Winchester). I'm interested in applying for my CCP; it states you need to take a safety course. Well in my teens about 15 years ago, I took a hunter safety course and have a certificate issued from Virginia's Dept of Fish and Game.Should this be sufficient enough even it is old?

Since I don't have a CCP now, how should I proceed to travel with a weapon in the car?

Right Now, I leave the gun unloadedin the case and locked in the trunk.

Can I leave it unloaded in the glove dept?

What is the law after I get my CCP?

I can'tfind the codeof Virginia's LIS.

Thanks

zoom6zoom

imported post

Well in my teens about 15 years ago, I took a hunter safety course and have a certificate issued from Virginia's Dept of Fish and Game. Should this be sufficient enough even it is old?

Proof of training does not expire in VA, you should be covered.

Right Now, I leave the gun unloaded in the case and locked in the trunk.
Correct procedure. You could also open carry, but a gun in the glove box, loaded or not, will be considered concealed.

savery

imported post

Myright2possess wrote:
Hello,

Living in Frederick Co, (Winchester). I'm interested in applying for my CCP; it states you need to take a safety course. Well in my teens about 15 years ago, I took a hunter safety course and have a certificate issued from Virginia's Dept of Fish and Game.Should this be sufficient enough even it is old?

Since I don't have a CCP now, how should I proceed to travel with a weapon in the car?

Right Now, I leave the gun unloadedin the case and locked in the trunk.

Can I leave it unloaded in the glove dept?

What is the law after I get my CCP?

I can'tfind the codeof Virginia's LIS.

Thanks

I too used an older hunter safety course... no problems at all.

TFred

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Welcome -

CHP = concealed handgun permit

This will give you a good start and there is reference to Va. Code as links
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm
I have read through those pages and their sub-links a few times, but just now on this page: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Transporting.shtm I noticed this text:

Virginia does not require firearm registration nor is it necessary to obtain a permit before carrying a firearm or other such weapon openly about the person except where prohibited by statute.

We all know this very well, but for new folks, and the uninformed society at large, since the code (at least that I'm aware of) does not actually state that open carry is legal, this is a somewhat handy reference to remember. (Gets around that whole "hard to disprove a negative" logical quagmire...:) Actually not hard, just time consuming...)

TFred

architect

imported post

savery wrote:
I too used an older hunter safety course... no problems at all.
While hunter safety courses certainly meet the training requirement for a CHP, let's not forget that one who carries for self-defense purposes would be well-advised to strive for a level of legal and liability awareness that is not generally offered by such training. Acquisition of a CHP should not signal the end to self-improvement initiatives.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
but a gun in the glove box, loaded or not, will be considered concealed.
depends on the cop. Some cops go on a "two move rule". A loaded gun in a glove box that is LOCKED is the same as being in the trunk (to some cops). Or.. a loaded gun in the glove box in a holster is also 2 moves. IANAL and YMMV but I don't like 100% absolute statements unless they are exactly that.

I would suggest if you want it close you in the car... wear it openley or secure it in the open near you (dash board is not a good idea (in my opinion).

and.. get your CHP if you can. Many people offer all kinds of training courses to get your permit.. the easiest way is online at www.tinyurl.com/vachp (while you wait for your permit... go ahead and take other courses and follow the message boards and keep on learing). Each day is only the beginning.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

ed wrote:
depends on the cop. Some cops go on a "two move rule". A loaded gun in a glove box that is LOCKED is the same as being in the trunk (to some cops). Or.. a loaded gun in the glove box in a holster is also 2 moves. ..... - I have never heard of that before nor did anyone I worked with subscribe to that. If its in the glovebox, its concealed, imo.
and.. get your CHP if you can. Many people offer all kinds of training courses to get your permit.. the easiest way is online at http://www.tinyurl.com/vachp - .......I just had a customer call me last week to sign up for training. He was a State Corrections Officer who wanted to get his CHP. He said that he took the online course and one of the local Clerk's Offices turned him down. They said that it was no good. First time we've heard that but anything's possible.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

buster81 wrote:
zoom6zoom wrote:
Right Now, I leave the gun unloaded in the case and locked in the trunk.
Correct procedure. You could also open carry, but a gun in the glove box, loaded or not, will be considered concealed.
What if you don't have a trunk? Like a pick up truck?
Then you put it behind your seats. This also applies to 2-seat sports cars where possible.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
I just had a customer call me last week to sign up for training. He was a State Corrections Officer who wanted to get his CHP. He said that he took the online course and one of the local Clerk's Offices turned him down. They said that it was no good. First time we've heard that but anything's possible.

Just like everything else on this forum, everything we writeis subject to question and challenge. Just like some places don't issue within 45 days and you can challenge them, your client could also challenge the training requirement with the clerk.

- - -

from the VA State Police website (bold added by me)..

The court shall require proof that the applicant has demonstrated competence with a handgun and the applicant may demonstrate such competence by one of the following, but no applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence:

1. Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;
  2. Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
  3. Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services;
  4. Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
  5. Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;
  6. Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in this Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause;
  7. Completing any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;
  8. Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or
  9. Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate.
ProShooter, you are a good guy and I read and take your advice in the forum much of the time. I also agree that in person, live fire training is ALWAYS better than an online course. I just don't think it should be required. Furthermore, I think the online course is a GREAT way for a brand new gun owner to learn the VERY basics of gun ownership even if they are never going to conceal. Right now they just go buy a gun and have no training. It is also a good refresher for those that were never taught correctly. The father of a friend of mine picked up her gun to take a look at it. He was outside, but as soon as he picked it up.. he did not clear it... he had his finger on the trigger!!! was not prepared to shoot.. aimed down at the ground.. dry fired.. and BANG! (He is lucky he was not taking aim at the dog or something else). The point being that he NEVER took a course his entire life and some in his antique gun trading world consider him a gun expert! So.. I think there is a place for both. If I choose NO TRAINING or ONLINE TRAINING.. I choose ONLINE. If I choose between ONLINE TRAINING or LIVE CLASSROOM training, I choose LIVE CLASSROOM. (You can't ask questions to the online guy.. but it might get you into it enough that you know the basics (so you are not embarrassed or intimidated) and then you can sign up for course after course in person.. rather than never taking one. So.. on the online course... once again.. we have to agree to disagree.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote: wrote:
snip- .......I just had a customer call me last week to sign up for training. He was a State Corrections Officer who wanted to get his CHP. He said that he took the online course and one of the local Clerk's Offices turned him down. They said that it was no good. First time we've heard that but anything's possible.
What ??? Doesn't make sense as a State Corrections Officer does not need any additional proof of training. The condition was satisfied with their completeing the DCJS requirements for certification.

Is he/she an administrative employee of DOC and therefore not a ceritified corrections officer?

Yata hey

ProShooter

imported post

ed wrote:
'your client could also challenge the training requirement with the clerk' - I advised him of that but he insisted that he wanted to take another course to avoid the hassle.
ProShooter, you are a good guy and I read and take your advice in the forum much of the time. I also agree that in person, live fire training is ALWAYS better than an online course. I just don't think it should be required. Furthermore, I think the online course is a GREAT way for a brand new gun owner to learn the VERY basics of gun ownership even if they are never going to conceal. Right now they just go buy a gun and have no training. It is also a good refresher for those that were never taught correctly. The father of a friend of mine picked up her gun to take a look at it. He was outside, but as soon as he picked it up.. he did not clear it... he had his finger on the trigger!!! was not prepared to shoot.. aimed down at the ground.. dry fired.. and BANG! (He is lucky he was not taking aim at the dog or something else). The point being that he NEVER took a course his entire life and some in his antique gun trading world consider him a gun expert! So.. I think there is a place for both. If I choose NO TRAINING or ONLINE TRAINING.. I choose ONLINE. If I choose between ONLINE TRAINING or LIVE CLASSROOM training, I choose LIVE CLASSROOM. (You can't ask questions to the online guy.. but it might get you into it enough that you know the basics (so you are not embarrassed or intimidated) and then you can sign up for course after course in person.. rather than never taking one. So.. on the online course... once again.. we have to agree to disagree.
Thank you for the compliment, and I can agree to disagree :)

ProShooter

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
ProShooter wrote: wrote:
snip- .......I just had a customer call me last week to sign up for training. He was a State Corrections Officer who wanted to get his CHP. He said that he took the online course and one of the local Clerk's Offices turned him down. They said that it was no good. First time we've heard that but anything's possible.
What ??? Doesn't make sense as a State Corrections Officer does not need any additional proof of training. The condition was satisfied with their completeing the DCJS requirements for certification.

Is he/she an administrative employee of DOC and therefore not a ceritified corrections officer?

Yata hey
He said that he was a Corrections Officer and that he needed a course. I assumed also that his DCJS training should suffice but he said that it didnt.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

He said that he was a Corrections Officer and that he needed a course. I assumed also that his DCJS training should suffice but he said that it didnt.

Even the best information is no good unless people are intelligent enough to use it.

For the record: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm

7. Completing........firearms training .......... conducted by a state-certified ...... ...............firearms instructor

DOC instructors obviously meet these requirements. Oh well, at the end of your course he will have thrice met the standard.

Yata hey
Strange thing, I cannot control the color or linking of green & blue fonts!

ProShooter

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Even the best information is no good unless people are intelligent enough to use it.

For the record: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm

7. Completing........firearms training .......... conducted by a state-certified ...... ...............firearms instructor

DOC instructors obviously meet these requirements. Oh well, at the end of your course he will have thrice met the standard.

Yata hey
Strange thing, I cannot control the color or linking of green & blue fonts!
I read the same statute to him and he said that he wanted the class anyway to be sure. Maybe he didnt have confidence in the training that DOC gave him.