• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My OC Experiences in Colorful Colorado

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I took a week-long trip to Colorado Springs from Texas to visit my girlfriend and decided to open carry as much as legally possible while I was there. I either wore a belt holster with spare mags weak-side, or if it was colder and I had to have a jacket on, a drop-leg holster and spare mags weak-side.

I love how pro-gun Colorado Springs is, had no problems anywhere I went, I was even surprised to get two reactions in one day the second day I carried.

First encounter was at Chili's, after we were done with our meal:
Waiter: "Will you guys be wanting any deserts this afternoon?"
Me: "No, we're fine"
Waiter: "Man with a gun says no, you got it!"
We both have a chuckle over the statement.

Second encounter at Target while checking out:
Clerk: "What's the gun for, you going hunting? Or are you taking someone out?"
Me: "Hopefully not."

Went in a few restaurants, did get a couple patrons give me the old :shock: and do a double take, but no encounter/comments.

We went to Denver for one evening which of course I left the gun at home for.

I also didn't open carry onto Pike's Peak because I didn't see a need for a firearm at 14,110 feet ;)

The only place I really had a problem was 7 Falls. I called ahead to make sure it wasn't a State park, and it was private property. I asked them about their firearms policy, and they said firearms weren't allowed, but I figured it was just an ignorant employee that didn't really know the rules there. When we went, I failed to see a "No Firearms" sign anywhere. I thought about bringing it anyways and seeing if their was a sign because it was, after all, bear county, but I just opted in leaving it at home to avoid any hassle.

This is what I'm trying to fight for so hard in Texas. I believe all Americans should have this right.

FogRider

imported post

Ain't CO grand? I've been loving it ever since I moved here about three years ago.

For future reference, CO also has unrestricted vehicle carry, including Denver. So as long as it stays concealed, and in your vehicle, you could have had it with you in Denver. The only part I am not sure on is if it includes non-residents, but I don't know why it wouldn't. Anyone with a little more CO law experience, want to chime in on this?

Evil Ernie

imported post

Vehicle carry applies to every LAAC in the state, whether they are visiting or residents.

A sidearmat 14,110ft? You bet!If you ever get a good look at those marmots,they havesome reallybeadyeyes......I know that they're packin heat....Pikesis awesome.Hopefully it was clear for ya. The view from up there is nothing short of incredible.

Glad you had a good time here!

SANDCREEK

imported post

Imade an interesting observation a couple of days ago while shopping with my wife in Colorado Springs. While exiting the parked vehicle in front of the store - I noticed 4 "gang-banger" looking wanna-be's seated on the hood and adjacent to another vehicle about 50 ft away. They looked to be about-16 , and all 4 had dark "hoodie" sweatshirts on, even though it was at least 65 degrees and sunny (short sleeve weather).

I had a light wind-breaker on just because I didn't feel like OC'ing at that time. I was on "alert" and kept an eye on the crew for the whole time we were in the store- about 45 minutes. They continued "hanging-out" , looking "suspicious", and acting-out with their hoods pulled over their heads around their car the whole time including when we returned to the parked car.

After putting the purchases in the back seat of our car I removed my wind-breaker - exposing the holstered Glock 23 on my right hip. The "dude's", located at my 3 o'clockwere still out of their car, but - by the time I had backed the car out of the space, and took one more glance in their direction - they were "low-profiled" sitting INSIDE the car !

This is precisely WHY more LAC's need to OC where they can. I think my OC presence made a distinct impression on these young people. This is an important point for the folks in Texas to relay to their reps in Austin. VISIBLY armed LAC's have a positive affect on "out-of-bounds" behavior in the community. I don't think these teens were planning anything "criminal"- they seemed to be role playing - acting out like it was something "cool" to dress-up like like hoods. I' m telling you when we get more & more folks OC'ing , we'll see an improvement in the "atmosphere" around us.

SDguy

imported post

I absolutely agree. I live in South Dakota where open and concealed carry are legal. Open carry with or without a permit. Concealed carry with a "shall issue" law requiring the state to issue as long as you have no criminal record.

I both open and concealed carry regularly and have experienced the same change in attitude from the less than desireable element when they see I am armed. I am sure it gives them pause regarding anything they may have had in mind. It sure changes their attitude instantly.

Bebop

imported post

SANDCREEK wrote:
...I' m telling you when we get more & more folks OC'ing , we'll see an improvement in the "atmosphere" around us.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life" - Robert A. Heinlein

Anubis

imported post

Bebop wrote:
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life" - Robert A. Heinlein
I love the quote, but it does not apply to our society, whichhas plenty of armed people and plenty of rude people. It would be true in a society where duelling is legal, as in the Heinlein story in which this quote was written (Beyond This Horizon, serialized in 1942, published in 1948).

Let's face it: any punk can call you any name and you can't legally kill him.

FogRider

imported post

It works if you don't take manners to just mean the the little stuff like how you speak to other and if you hold doors. If you define it a little more extreme, as in the things you do to other people, the quote makes sense. You might go ahead and call an armed man names, but you would certainly think twice about slapping him in the face. Like any saying/analogy, it does fall apart if you over analyze it.

PavePusher

imported post

If you read much Heinlein, his quote is clearer in the context of a predominantly armed society. Unfortunately, our societal norm is to be predominantly un-armed.

SANDCREEK

imported post

I spent some time in Japan during the '60's and remember the contrast between that society and our own. The only "cockyness" I ever witnessed from Japanese nationals was from those employees on base who had a lot of exposure to the G.I.'s.- rudeness, arrogance, disrespect being a bit contagious I guess.

Our society is increasingly becoming more obnoxious. Too many "logger-heads" , and too littlemanners being taught. People SUBconciously scan their "runway" for obstacles, hazzards, chuck-holes, etc. MOST folks don't tailgate COPS , "flip-off" NFL linebackers, disrespect the boss who signs their paychecks ..or mess withsomeone wearing a holstered gun.

By the way there are 4 wanna-be armed robbers looking for jobs in Colorado Springs today. They drove up to a credit union yesterday wearing "hoodies" and holloween masks, carrying handguns as they approached the entrance. Armed guard inside opened up on them with several shots from his weapon through the glass door - sending them scurrying off to happier hunting grounds. (a "teaching moment" ???)

JoeGlock

imported post

SANDCREEK wrote:
(Edited for brevity)

This is precisely WHY more LAC's need to OC where they can. I think my OC presence made a distinct impression on these young people. This is an important point for the folks in Texas to relay to their reps in Austin. VISIBLY armed LAC's have a positive affect on "out-of-bounds" behavior in the community. I don't think these teens were planning anything "criminal"- they seemed to be role playing - acting out like it was something "cool" to dress-up like like hoods. I' m telling you when we get more & more folks OC'ing , we'll see an improvement in the "atmosphere" around us.
Great story, and thanks for sharing. I've yet to OC, but it's becoming more appealing as time passes.

Evil Ernie

imported post

JoeGlock wrote
Great story, and thanks for sharing. I've yet to OC, but it's becoming more appealing as time passes.
Welcome to the forum Joe! What part of CR do ya hail from?
This will make three of us in the "Rock". You, Centsi, and I...cool....:cool:

JoeGlock

imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
JoeGlock wrote
Welcome to the forum Joe! What part of CR do ya hail from?
This will make three of us in the "Rock". You, Centsi, and I...cool....:cool:
We are in the old Woodlands. I'd love to go plinking sometime with some locals.