Thread: Great encounter with Memphis PD while OCing

Post imported post

I work on Highland Street in Memphis and Friday on the way home I needed gas. So I stopped at the Kroger gas station in Poplar Plaza there at Poplar and Highland. I was, as I almost always am, openly carrying the Glock 23 in the Blackhawk SERPA holster on my right hip.

I went to the cashier window to pre pay for my gas and as I was walking back to the Jeep I noticed a Memphis Police cruiser parked out away from the gas pumping area but directly behind my Cherokee.

I pumped my $40 of gas (at $2.57 a gallon with the $.03 discount whoo hoo!) and when I was done I waved at the officer. He gave me a thumbs up sign quickly followed by the international gun sign with the thumb and index finger. I took this to mean that he approved of my carrying.

Whatever he ment, it was a pretty good encounter and a not at all uncommon occurance here in Southwest Tennessee when it comes to LEO's and we who open carry.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

AS it should be.

Post imported post

I just wish all would go that way. Great news.

Post imported post

TN_Mike wrote:
    I pumped my $40 of gas (at $2.57 a gallon with the $.3 discount whoo hoo!)

What I want to know is how can I get 30 cents off per gallon!

Post imported post

frontier737 wrote:
    TN_Mike wrote:
    I pumped my $40 of gas (at $2.57 a gallon with the $.3 discount whoo hoo!)

What I want to know is how can I get 30 cents off per gallon!
    Oops....$.03 cent discount. My mistake.

Post imported post

Maybe just because I live in Memphis (with the high crime rate that goes with living here), but I have never been asked for my HCP. I have OCed in front of state troopers, local MPD, Sheriffs deputys etc in various locations and maybe two or three times I have noticed them looking at my gun (Glock 22 .40 in a Serpa retention holster) but they have never said a word about it to me. A few have even given me an "approving"nod or a thumbs up sign.

There also seem to be very few businesses in Memphis that ask that I disarm before entering their property (Malls seem to be the most common ones). OCing in Memphis is not a hassle at all unless you want to eat out at asit-down restaurant - and maybe that will change now that Naifeh is king no more...