• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Great encounter with Memphis PD while OCing

TN_Mike

imported post

I work on Highland Street in Memphis and Friday on the way home I needed gas. So I stopped at the Kroger gas station in Poplar Plaza there at Poplar and Highland. I was, as I almost always am, openly carrying the Glock 23 in the Blackhawk SERPA holster on my right hip.

I went to the cashier window to pre pay for my gas and as I was walking back to the Jeep I noticed a Memphis Police cruiser parked out away from the gas pumping area but directly behind my Cherokee.

I pumped my $40 of gas (at $2.57 a gallon with the $.03 discount whoo hoo!) and when I was done I waved at the officer. He gave me a thumbs up sign quickly followed by the international gun sign with the thumb and index finger. I took this to mean that he approved of my carrying.

Whatever he ment, it was a pretty good encounter and a not at all uncommon occurance here in Southwest Tennessee when it comes to LEO's and we who open carry.

crotalus01

imported post

Maybe just because I live in Memphis (with the high crime rate that goes with living here), but I have never been asked for my HCP. I have OCed in front of state troopers, local MPD, Sheriffs deputys etc in various locations and maybe two or three times I have noticed them looking at my gun (Glock 22 .40 in a Serpa retention holster) but they have never said a word about it to me. A few have even given me an "approving"nod or a thumbs up sign.

There also seem to be very few businesses in Memphis that ask that I disarm before entering their property (Malls seem to be the most common ones). OCing in Memphis is not a hassle at all unless you want to eat out at asit-down restaurant - and maybe that will change now that Naifeh is king no more...