• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Apparently Handcuffs are considered weapons...

triehl27

imported post

Got off work for a couple of hours to testify in court on a tresspasser a few weeks back on federal property.

In full uniform with Military ID, and took off my duty belt and left at work but had a spare set of cuffs in my back pocket.

King County made me surrender them, also took my cuff keys, including making me take the one off my car keys and surrender them along with the cuffs.

According to King County sheriffs, handcuffs are deadly weapons, and so are the keys to them.

I showed them my id, and told um what I was there for. Nope no go, they are deadly weapons, surrendered and lockered um.

So, here's the irony of the incident.

Prior schedule to the tresspass was for some protection orders. Two gals, petitioner gets her P.O and No contact order. Respondent after having it explained to her and signing the papers, swears at the petioner and then shoves the petitioner.

Bailif responds... No cuffs... Left her cuffs at the desk... Had to call for cuffs while trying to subdue one ticked of woman.

I was nice enough to move to the door to make sure that the respondent woman would have a harder time leaving, but I wasn't gonna end up in the middle a that tussle, over all it was kinda comical and ironic. My job was to be a good witness at the time not a hero.

jddssc121

imported post

triehl27 wrote:
Got off work for a couple of hours to testify in court on a tresspasser a few weeks back on federal property.

In full uniform with Military ID, and took off my duty belt and left at work but had a spare set of cuffs in my back pocket.

King County made me surrender them, also took my cuff keys, including making me take the one off my car keys and surrender them along with the cuffs.

According to King County sheriffs, handcuffs are deadly weapons, and so are the keys to them.

I showed them my id, and told um what I was there for. Nope no go, they are deadly weapons, surrendered and lockered um.

So, here's the irony of the incident.

Prior schedule to the tresspass was for some protection orders. Two gals, petitioner gets her P.O and No contact order. Respondent after having it explained to her and signing the papers, swears at the petioner and then shoves the petitioner.

Bailif responds... No cuffs... Left her cuffs at the desk... Had to call for cuffs while trying to subdue one ticked of woman.

I was nice enough to move to the door to make sure that the respondent woman would have a harder time leaving, but I wasn't gonna end up in the middle a that tussle, over all it was kinda comical and ironic. My job was to be a good witness at the time not a hero.

Should have asked when in the RCW does it say that. I can't find it. Not sure where else to look other than 9.41.270.... (and it ain't there)

now maybe they can call it a restricted item and ban it anyhow....but dangerous weapon? C'mon....:banghead:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

No mention of handcuffs in RCW 9.41.300 - Weapons prohibited in certain places

(1b) Those areas in any building which are used in connection with court proceedings, including courtrooms, jury rooms, judge's chambers, offices and areas used to conduct court business, waiting areas, and corridors adjacent to areas used in connection with court proceedings
For purposes of this subsection (1)(b), "weapon" means any firearm, explosive as defined in RCW 70.74.010, or any weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or any knife, dagger, dirk, or other similar weapon that is capable of causing death or bodily injury and is commonly used with the intent to cause death or bodily injury. (Somehow I don't see handcuffs causing death in normal operation)

(11) "Weapon" as used in this section means any firearm, explosive as defined in RCW 70.74.010, or instrument or weapon listed in RCW 9.41.250.

RCW 9.41.010 Definitions - Not listed here either
RCW 9.41.250 Dangerous weapons - Not listed here either

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've read where the toothed part, extended, can serve as a stabbing or piercing instrument. I seem to recall a cop that narrowly missed having it stabbed into his eye by an arrestee who was only half-cuffed when he whirled on the cop swinging the open cuff.

Be that as it may, unlisted is unlisted. Might as well treat pens and pencils as deadly weapons if you are going to go off-list.

Bear 45/70

imported post

By the logic these guys are using, the bandana I wear when riding my quad to not breath dust is a dangerous weapon. I can sure as hell strangle someone with it. This is government out of control, plain and simple.

shakul

imported post

Huh that's interesting... I carry handcuffs w. me everywhere... I mean everywhere even on airplanes... the only time I've gotten asked about them was in Amsterdam (Schipol) and it was because they thought they were fake handcuffs... When they saw that I had the keys and they were real they said they were sorry and let me go on... Even the TSA guys at the airport (Seatac and LAX) have thought it was kinda cool that I had handcuffs on me since I couldn't "carry" in an airport. However I did get my 4" cuff key punch taken from me because it's a 4" sharp instrument at LAX.
I mean I can understand why they would take the keys (you might try to free someone) but saying that it's a weapon is stupid... And no I am not a cop or corrections officer or anything of the like, I'm just a concerned citizen who likes being prepared.

*btw HAI I've been reading posts here the last couple of days and decided it was time to stop lurking when I read this post*

jbone

imported post

A pencil strategically placed in the neck after removal from it’s Holster (pocket protector) can be a deadly weapon. PerhapsDeputiesshould be checking in Pencils with the Guns and cuffs.

shakul

imported post

*This may upset some people; but just know that this is only a scenario to show how stupid some regulations are*

First some history... I am a Eagle Scout, so I take to heart "Be prepared"; also I've travelled quite a few (lived in four countries) so I know what it's like to go into "Secure" areas... However what I'm going to write about is to show how most regulations reguarding these areas can always have loopholes. I mean sure cops do the best they can to try and protect people whether they are right or wrong however necessity is the mother of invension. For this scenario I am using the following items which are found in my travell bag (also happens to be my school bag) I am an artist and I go to the Art Institute so I have A LOT of art stuff in my bag...

Oakley SI Computer Bag
masking tape (3/4 inch roll)
12" plastic ruler
Sand Paper Block (this is used to sharpen pencils. equivalent to about 150-100 grit 1"x4")
SketchBook
Staedtler Field Lead Holder (this is a drafting pencil)
Berol Turquoise Lead 6H - 12pk

Besides those I have about 20-30 different types of pens and pencils in my bag so pick your weapon..... Anyways here are the scenarios...

I think it's funny how if you've ever had a drafting pencil (the ones that are mechanical and use 9mm leads) and get 4H or 6H leads on the pencil you can safely stab someone w. a "punch" (very sharp one at that) of about a lenght of 3-4 inches...

And there is nothing from stopping you in carrying sand paper on a plane... or a ruler... SOOO for all intents and purposes you could take a ruler which you"snap" in half (plastic ruler btw) and it will generally snap diagonaly so you can get a point... then you can take the sand paper and sharpen the ruler... Now you have a 6-10 inch long shank... which you can use masking tape (I also carry a roll in my bag) to make a handle. And this takes you about 30 minutes; if you want to get the edge really sharp; Ok I'm not saying I've done this in an airplane (I just tested it out to get the time right) and it took me about 15 minutes to get something that is relatively sharp... Now you may say that "Oh the person next to you will notice" well if you are a smart terrorist you sit with your buddy next to you so that (in small cabins atleast) you have no problem doing this... OR you just go to the bathroom shortly after takeoff and do this...

So now that we have weapons in an area where you aren't supposed to have weapons well I guess security failed... Howeve unless they take everything from people they won't do much good... unless they started treating airplanes like prisons and giving everyone elasticless one piece jumpsuits and hospital booties theya re never going to stop people from getting stuff like this into any secure area... I mean w. just sitting here thinking about what I had in my bag I came up w. 2 different weapons one a slashing weapon the other a stabbing...

Triple Tap

imported post

jbone wrote:
A pencil strategically placed in the neck after removal from it’s Holster (pocket protector) can be a deadly weapon. PerhapsDeputiesshould be checking in Pencils with the Guns and cuffs.
I tried that line in High School to try to get all Pencils and Pens removed from classes. Didnt work :cool:

Morris

North of Seattlle, South of Canada, Washington, US
imported post

Not fun being cold cocked by someone with cuffs on one hand.

That being said, may be a local court rule. They can make those ya know. Give the court a call and see why you were prohibited from carrying. On a side note, I have to surrender like everyone else if I am not there on official or on-duty business.

ChuckUFarley

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
By the logic these guys are using, the bandana I wear when riding my quad to not breath dust is a dangerous weapon. I can sure as hell strangle someone with it. This is government out of control, plain and simple.

No one ever accused the government of being Logical; soon all Sporks will be considered Dangerous

On another note, I was reading the story of the 53 or so individuals who were on a MD government Watch list and marked as terrorists, because they were anti war or whatever, two were nuns, I wonder if everyone on this board is now considered a terrorist because of posting here.

David.Car

imported post

shakul wrote:
And there is nothing from stopping you in carrying sand paper on a plane... or a ruler... SOOO for all intents and purposes you could take a ruler which you"snap" in half (plastic ruler btw) and it will generally snap diagonaly so you can get a point... then you can take the sand paper and sharpen the ruler... Now you have a 6-10 inch long shank...
Why bother when you are allowed to take knitting needles (those footlong ones) onto a plane?

bluer1

imported post

David.Car wrote:
shakul wrote:
And there is nothing from stopping you in carrying sand paper on a plane... or a ruler... SOOO for all intents and purposes you could take a ruler which you"snap" in half (plastic ruler btw) and it will generally snap diagonaly so you can get a point... then you can take the sand paper and sharpen the ruler... Now you have a 6-10 inch long shank...
Why bother when you are allowed to take knitting needles (those footlong ones) onto a plane?
Good point. (no pun intended)

Granum

imported post

shakul wrote:
Huh that's interesting... I carry handcuffs w. me everywhere... I mean everywhere even on airplanes... the only time I've gotten asked about them was in Amsterdam (Schipol) and it was because they thought they were fake handcuffs... When they saw that I had the keys and they were real they said they were sorry and let me go on... Even the TSA guys at the airport (Seatac and LAX) have thought it was kinda cool that I had handcuffs on me since I couldn't "carry" in an airport. However I did get my 4" cuff key punch taken from me because it's a 4" sharp instrument at LAX.
I mean I can understand why they would take the keys (you might try to free someone) but saying that it's a weapon is stupid... And no I am not a cop or corrections officer or anything of the like, I'm just a concerned citizen who likes being prepared.

*btw HAI I've been reading posts here the last couple of days and decided it was time to stop lurking when I read this post
Don't let paper clips on the planes ether. I have spent a lot of time playing with them at work. (Corrections Officer, grave yard) and you can even unlock the cuffs when double locked. But can't do when not looking yet.