• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Indiana: Increase In Citizens Realizing They Are Responsible For Self-Protection

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

The trend continues apace...

Police Report Surge In Gun Permit Applications
More People Seeking To Carry Guns For First Time

UPDATED: 12:19 am EDT October 18, 2008

INDIANAPOLIS -- [/b]Requests for applications to carry a concealed weapon are up in Indianapolis, police report.

Officials with the Citizen's Services branch of the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department told 6News' Jack Rinehart that the number of new application requests and license renewals increased significantly in September as compared to the same month in 2007.

By year's end, officials said they project that the number of permits will increase by at least 10 percent over 2007.

"Wherever there's people, there's always some people that prey on other people and I think we see that daily," said Russ Record, who was renewing his gun permit on Friday.

The jump in the number of people applying for permits included many people who said they had never carried or used a gun before, police said.

"I tend to come home late for work. I go in late sometimes. I just think it was finally time to make the move and get a permit to carry," said first-time applicant Louis Profeta, who works in the emergency room at St. Vincent Hospital.

Others said they hadn't planned on ever carrying a gun, but that the recent upswing in crime in Indianapolis influenced their decision.

"I don't want to do it, but it seems like it's getting more prevalent around the area," said Kelly McQueary. "I just want to be prepared and protected."

Police stressed the importance of understanding the ramifications of gun ownership.

"It's very important that they know what they're doing with that gun," said Lt. Jeffrey Duhamell. "What a lot of people don't realize is the philological changes that can happen in a high-stress situation … your judgment may be impaired as far as when you should shoot and when not to shoot."

Duhamell urged those looking to carry a gun for the first time to undergo training.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/17744563/detail.html

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

HankT wrote:
Police stressed the importance of understanding the ramifications of gun ownership.

"It's very important that they know what they're doing with that gun," said Lt. Jeffrey Duhamell. "What a lot of people don't realize is the philological changes that can happen in a high-stress situation … your judgment may be impaired as far as when you should shoot and when not to shoot."

Duhamell urged those looking to carry a gun for the first time to undergo training.
"Drats!" Leutnant Duh-amell says, "They got guns so's we'll try a different infringement, training or appropriate responsibility! Heh heh heh."

Scroom

squarepeg

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
HankT wrote: "Drats!" Leutnant Duh-amell says, "They got guns so's we'll try a different infringement, training or appropriate responsibility! Heh heh heh."

Scroom
I don't understand your comment. I think many members here would agree that someone who is new to firearms should, on their own will, take a training course. Many would also agree that choosing to shoot someone would be a life changine event. No where in the Leutenant's quote did he say there should be a law to force training.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
HankT wrote:

"Drats!" Leutnant Duh-amell says, "They got guns so's we'll try a different infringement, training or appropriate responsibility!

Land O' Goshen, Huffy!

What a dastardly deed it is for them thar coppers to suggest appropriate responsibility... The heathens!

ImChad

imported post

I would go with practice, but not a must to do training. I have my LTC and I've never done formal training. But, I've spent countless hours and tens of thousands of rounds at the range. I know my reaction time and my distance at which I'm accurate. A training course couldn't teach me anything I don't already know from those at the range and spending time shooting.

However, I think we could benifit in Indiana from putting shooting ranges in EVERY state park at a low fee. Most indoor rnages are so outragious, its impossible to go as much as one really needs to go. I have to drive a half hour and pay 20.00 an hour at the closest range to me. My only other option is to go to camp atturbury 60 miles away and shoot for cheap. Thats fine once every couple of weeks but impossible more than that without killing almost 3 hours in drive time.

Anyhow, I've gone off topic. Way to be fellow hoosiers. Who wants to bet the crime rate will peak soon? it seems like the last time there was a surge in ltc permits the crime rate dropped. Something about criminals knowing the state isn't protecting them makes them think twice. Who knew?

squisher

imported post

I'd say that for *new* gun owners a safety training course is a good idea. Trainers tend to be non-judgemental and it is nice way to get familiar with your weapon. My wife, for example, will listen to someone else and follow their advice better than if I give her the exact same advice (Seen it happen!).

Heck, I've been licensed to carry for 6 or 7 years and would still like to attend a training course. In my case I'd rather go for a more tactical course, but it would still be neat.

That being said, I agree with ImChad, reasonably priced ranges are a MUST for people who don't have enough of their own land to shoot on. I'm very fortunate that I live within 30-35 minutes of Crosley Fish and Wildlife area, they have a *FREE* outdoor range with 30, 50, 100 200yd and skeet ranges. (Not to mention tons of little fishing holes for people with fishing licenses)

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Now there is an idea, mandatory training = free range time till state
excepts you are qualified. Darn if I couldn't throw a few rounds to stay
unqualified for free shooting.:idea:

PT111

imported post

Appropriate responsibility is no responsibility. It is no longer PC to hold anyone responsible for their actions. I think that is what everyone is trying to say. :lol:

Skippy

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
You really want to go down the path of having yet another obstacle in the road to exercising your Second Amendment Right?

While I agree that you *should* get training, I am absolutely against *requiring* training. Once the requirement is in place, it's far to easy to "adjust" the difficulty of the qualifications until no one can pass. You really want to put that in the hands of the government?

squisher

imported post

Skippy wrote:
SlackwareRobert wrote:
You really want to go down the path of having yet another obstacle in the road to exercising your Second Amendment Right?

While I agree that you *should* get training, I am absolutely against *requiring* training. Once the requirement is in place, it's far to easy to "adjust" the difficulty of the qualifications until no one can pass. You really want to put that in the hands of the government?
Good point skippy, although I can see where robert was coming from: Free range time is free range time.

Speaking of ranges, here is the DNR listing of shooting ranges. Some free, some not

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/4367.htm

I know Crosley is free, down by historic Vernon (south of North Vernon).