• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Here is another guns for gift cards swap. In Chesapeake!!!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thundar wrote:
SNIP Any policy, instruction, rule, regulation, written procedure, written letter, e-mail or other communication for this gun buy back program, to include the coordination, cooperation, funding or donations to this gun buy back program with any other government agency or organization, private company, corporation or individual.
I might break this up into a list with an initial sentence leading into the list:

"The requested records are all recordsregardingthe next gun buy-back program, including, but not limited to:

1. Any policy, rule, regulation, or written procedure (modify to include and exlcude what kinds of policies--just setting up the program?how to actually work the table and define whatguns are acceptable? Etc.)
  2. Any memos, letters, or e-mails regarding the program.
  3. Records showing or discussion funding for the program.
  4. Records discussing or showing coordination with any other government agency, private organization, company, corporation, or individual."
You'll have to work with the phrasing a bit, especially if you don't want all records, or don't want the expense of all records.

sccrref

imported post

Does anyone know if they do a background check on themselves for each and every purchase? If they are not, we should contact our representatives and get the gun buy back loop hole closed.

LEO 229

imported post

sccrref wrote:
Does anyone know if they do a background check on themselves for each and every purchase? If they are not, we should contact our representatives and get the gun buy back loop hole closed.
Valid point....

But is there not a state codes out there already that referto firearms "collections" by law enforcement? I checked but could not locate it. I know I read it some place as it was worded in a way that I viewed this very situation.

It would be very easy to write in an exclusion toto permitlaw enforcementto conduct this type of transaction if the guns were not for private ownership anddone so on behalf of the department.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I kind of like buybacks. I've bought several very nice guns from the line. I'll plan on being at this one too!:cool:

Sheriff

imported post

I'm surprised localities haven't come up with a concealed weapons permit buy-back.

$100 gift card for everybody that turns in their concealed weapons permit. :D

TFred

imported post

peter nap wrote:
I kind of like buybacks. I've bought several very nice guns from the line. I'll plan on being at this one too!:cool:
I was wondering about that... I would sort of assume the persons running the buyback would have a problem with someone doing that. But I don't suppose there are any laws against it, and with preemption, it may even be illegal for a locality to set a policy that would stop it!

You might find a gem for a steal, if someone with no gun knowledge is just cleaning out a closet, etc... Hey, I'd probably take a crisp $100 bill over a gift card any day!

If you are doing a private one-to-one sale, does the 30 days per handgun limit apply?

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TFred wrote:
peter nap wrote:
I was wondering about that... I would sort of assume the persons running the buyback would have a problem with someone doing that. But I don't suppose there are any laws against it, and with preemption, it may even be illegal for a locality to set a policy that would stop it!

You might find a gem for a steal, if someone with no gun knowledge is just cleaning out a closet, etc... Hey, I'd probably take a crisp $100 bill over a gift card any day!

If you are doing a private one-to-one sale, does the 30 days per handgun limit apply?

TFred

They don't like it and you have to go into it with a FU attitude.
Private sales are exempt from the 30 day rule.

Just a hint. If you do work the line, be prepared to offer 125.00 or 150.00.
Look neat and honest or the old ladies won't sell to you.
Offer receipts.

Very important....
Have a friendly LEO in another venue, prepared to run them for stolen ASAP.

Thundar

imported post

Unfortunately this gun buy back is just a feel good response to the recent gunmurders in Chesapeake by the new Chief of Police. Typical response to the rise in gang violence. Police can't fix the gang problem so they do something that does not fix the problem, it just makes people feel good.

If the Chief of Police wanted todo something aboutviolent crimes he would institute an alcohol buy back program, not a handgun buy back program. Alcohol is involved in more than half of the domestic assault cases, and over 95% of the DUI cases. Gun buy back makes about as much sense as alcohol buy back.

sccrref

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
I'm surprised localities haven't come up with a concealed weapons permit buy-back.

$100 gift card for everybody that turns in their concealed weapons permit. :D
I would do that in a heartbeat. My VA CHP only cost $50 and my Utah non res would pretty much cover me until I could get my VA CHP again. Do this a couple of times and I would be ahead some scratch.

johnfenter

imported post

Confirmation of Virginia law on this topic:

§ 18.2-308.2:2. Criminal history record information check required for the transfer of certain firearms....
P. Except as provided in subdivisions 1, 2 and 3 of this subsection, it shall be unlawful for any person who is not a licensed firearms dealer to purchase more than one handgun within any 30-day period. A violation of this subsection shall be punishable as a Class 1 misdemeanor. ...

2. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to:...
h. A person who holds a valid Virginia permit to carry a concealed handgun; i. A person who purchases a handgun in a private sale. For purposes of this subdivision, a private sale means purchase from a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection of curios or relics as herein defined, or who sells all or part of such collection of curios and relics; or
j. A law-enforcement officer. For purposes of this subdivision, a law-enforcement officer means any employee of a police department or sheriff's office that is part of or administered by the Commonwealth or any political subdivision thereof, and who is responsible for the prevention and detection of crime and the enforcement of the penal, traffic or highway laws of the Commonwealth.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

TFred wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
I have a POS that I'd love to turn in. Not sure what they consider "working order". Do you have to show Chesapeake residency or anything?
But what would you pass around in your class then? ;)

TFred

The shiny Smith and Wesson Model 65, .357 Magnum that I recently picked up!

smart aleck! :)

TFred

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
TFred wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
I have a POS that I'd love to turn in. Not sure what they consider "working order". Do you have to show Chesapeake residency or anything?
But what would you pass around in your class then? ;)

TFred

The shiny Smith and Wesson Model 65, .357 Magnum that I recently picked up!

smart aleck! :)
:lol:

bayboy42

imported post

peter nap wrote:
TFred wrote:
peter nap wrote:

TFred

Offer receipts.

Very important....
Why?

darthmord

imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
TFred wrote:
peter nap wrote:

TFred

Offer receipts.

Very important....
Why?

To check for receipt of stolen goods perhaps?

Maybe the gun you bought in a private sale was used in a crime?

bayboy42

imported post

darthmord wrote:
bayboy42 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
TFred wrote:
peter nap wrote:

TFred

Offer receipts.

Very important....
Why?

To check for receipt of stolen goods perhaps?

Maybe the gun you bought in a private sale was used in a crime?

Neh....

§ 18.2-108. Receiving, etc., stolen goods.

A. If any person buys or receives from another person, or aids in concealing, any stolen goods or other thing, knowing the same to have been stolen, he shall be deemed guilty of larceny thereof, and may be proceeded against, although the principal offender is not convicted.

B. If any person buys or receives any goods or other thing, used in the course of a criminal investigation by law enforcement that such person believes to have been stolen, he shall be deemed guilty of larceny thereof.

(Code 1950, § 18.1-107; 1960, c. 358; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 2008, c. 578.)