• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Had you been in New Orleans during the gun seizure, what would you have done?

JBURGII

imported post

HankT wrote:
yale wrote:
Everyone talks about a SHTF situation. Being stuck in New Orleans after Katrina was a true SHTF situation. If there ever was a time for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms it was then. Being disarmed could very realistically result in you being killed by looters or other 'evil doers'. Anyone showing up at my home to take my possessions (TV, car, guns, etc) will be met with deadly force. It doesn't matter if they are in street clothes or a uniform.
If they are armed LEOs or military, they will kill you and anyone with you. Is that worth it?

I know at my home, I have the high ground. Are you so sure they will have the advantage? Or would have that many officers on hand under the circumstances?

The officer knocks and requests (demands) your firearms.. I am standing there with my (add favorite weapon here) at ready yet not target acquired, will the officer be willing to draw on me at the moment? Will he call for backup? Will that give me time to have a witness on hand? Crap, okay, I think I answered my own previous question on the amount of coffee I have had.. Im gonna go take a drive.. back later..

J

sraacke

imported post

HankT wrote:
If they are armed LEOs or military, they will kill you and anyone with you. Is that worth it?

No. You are correct. I should do like the jews did whenHitlers brown shirts came around. Just turn over my means of self defense and make it easier to be killed later.

:banghead:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

yale wrote:
HankT wrote:

No. You are correct. I should do like the jews did whenHitlers brown shirts came around. Just turn over my means of self defense and make it easier to be killed later.

So, you think it rational to trade instant death for the, um, possibility of later death?

You got family in that home?

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

yale wrote:
HankT wrote:

It's a matter of circumstance. No one was rounded up and massacred after Katrina. The point he's trying to make is to use your head. It's not worth getting yourself and your family killed to give up your guns for a few days to a few weeks. No one would be happy about it, but it's simple cost vs. benefit and the odds aren't in your favor if you chose the route of non-compliance. On the other hand, if you truly believe it's Nazi Germany round 2 and they're taking your guns so they can take you next, and you're going to be dead either way, then by all means go down in a blaze of lead filled glory. I would.

For once I agree with this guy:

deepdiver wrote:
There is such a thing as discretion being the better part of valor and living to fight another day. If you were in one of those houses in NOLA alone, or with just your spouse and kids, getting in a firefight with LEO trying to seize your firearms was a lose lose lose scenario.

Slayer of Paper

imported post

It's a dilemma for sure. Since power was out pretty much everywhere, it's a good bet that most people hadn't heard of the police chief's gun seizure order, and so, would not have been prepared. They wouldn't even have known to hide any guns. For most involved, the first they heard of it was police and national guard at their door demanding entrance.

Imagine it for a second: You have absolutely no reason to expect that the government has given an order to confiscate firearms- it has never been done before, why would you? You get a knock on your door, and see that it is several police and national guardsmen with rifles. They inform you that you are being evacuated, and you are required to open the door, or they will break it down. You're obviously not prepared for a fight like this, so what do you do?

I think that in NOLA, no one really even had a chance to make a stand for their rights. They were taken completely by surprise, and met with superior force.

If a similar situation were to happen NOW, I think there would be considerably different stories. There would almost certainly be cases where people refused to be disarmed, and yes, some would get into to fire fights with law enforcement and soldiers. Many would die.

JBURGII

imported post

Okay, I am drafting an e-mail to Leupold/Sony for the design of the Wit-man (witness man / (walkman joke)) rail mounted DVR.. so the little red light means you are being recorded... and tracked... ;) J

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:

deepdiver wrote:
There is such a thing as discretion being the better part of valor and living to fight another day. If you were in one of those houses in NOLA alone, or with just your spouse and kids, getting in a firefight with LEO trying to seize your firearms was a lose lose lose scenario.
;)

open4years

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
yale wrote:
HankT wrote:

It's a matter of circumstance. No one was rounded up and massacred after Katrina. The point he's trying to make is to use your head. It's not worth getting yourself and your family killed to give up your guns for a few days to a few weeks. No one would be happy about it, but it's simple cost vs. benefit and the odds aren't in your favor if you chose the route of non-compliance. On the other hand, if you truly believe it's Nazi Germany round 2 and they're taking your guns so they can take you next, and you're going to be dead either way, then by all means go down in a blaze of lead filled glory. I would.

deepdiver wrote:

AWDstlez wrote: (I think, there are too many boxes confusing my tiny brain.)

"It's not worth getting yourself and your family killed to give up your guns for a few days to a few weeks."

Actually, very few people got their firearms returned. The ones that did, received them in a far worse condition than when they were seized.

Does anyone have the photo from NRA's magazine showing some firearmsSTILL in a storage container, severely rusted? The statistics are in that issue about how many were returned.

open4years

MetalChris

imported post

I would probably be a good little citizen and give up the only gun (;)) I have, my .380. I would then use my remaining guns for self defense against rioters, looters, and various other goblins.

One thing you have to keep in mind in this kind of situation is how the media would spin the story of a LAC defending himself from tyrannical "L"EOs. There is no way the LAC would come across as the good guy, but would probably be painted in the "domestic terrorist" light. You would gain absolutely nothing by resisting, and would probably make things worse for the rest of us in the long run.

1FASTC4

imported post

It's not worth getting yourself and your family killed to give up your guns for a few days to a few weeks.

This is foolish. You are assuming that you won't be faced with any looters or bad guys in the time ahead. I have a family to defend, they would not get my guns.

Deanimator

imported post

HankT wrote:
yale wrote:
Everyone talks about a SHTF situation. Being stuck in New Orleans after Katrina was a true SHTF situation. If there ever was a time for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms it was then. Being disarmed could very realistically result in you being killed by looters or other 'evil doers'. Anyone showing up at my home to take my possessions (TV, car, guns, etc) will be met with deadly force. It doesn't matter if they are in street clothes or a uniform.
Is it worth it to you to be a helpless victim in the short term and to be dispossessed, never to have your property returned or to be compensated in the long run?

If the cops showed up and wanted your 15 year old daughter "for entertainment purposes", would you give her up? What if they just wanted to take your guns so that you couldn't stop somebody ELSE from taking her?

Is there any limit to what you'll accept being UNLAWFULLY imposed upon you?

Deanimator

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
yale wrote:
HankT wrote:

deepdiver wrote:
The people who gave up their guns, what did they "WIN"?

How many of them had police "protection" after their guns were taken?
How many of them got their guns back in a few days?
How many of them got their guns back in a few weeks?
How many of them got guns back that were totally inoperable or unsafe?
How many of them got their guns back AT ALL?
How many got compensated for their losses, either in property or violated civil rights?

It's one thing to say that it's better to allow yourself to be savagely exploited than to fight back. It's quite another to pretend that no harm was done or that ANYTHING has been done to right the wrongs that were done.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

1st freedom wrote:
I wonder if a similar conversation took place at Concord and Lexington in 1775.

Maybe they should have givenup arms,to fight another day :question:

Completely different situation that has zero relevance to this one.

1st freedom

imported post

Really,

Fighting to protect your God given rights from being taken by force!

First Amendment rights are deteriorating,Second Amendment rights are being infringed, Fourth Amendment rights are being trampled.

When will you take notice and decide you need to make a stand. After you have given up arms!

I see much relevance, but thats just my opinion,

I imagine our Founders would see relevance

cREbralFIX

imported post

It is my understanding that the neighborhoods that organized and had armed patrols were not molested by the gun grabbers.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
1st freedom wrote:
I wonder if a similar conversation took place at Concord and Lexington in 1775.

Maybe they should have givenup arms,to fight another day :question:
Completely different situation that has zero relevance to this one.
Completely different in many ways. There had been numerous offenses committed by the Redcoats against individual citizens, small groups of citizens, households one at a time, etc. which is much of what led to the 2 incidents. In other words, NOLA type incidents were not synonymous with Concord and Lexington but rather with the precursors to Concord and Lexington. Individual citizens did not decide, "Hey, I don't think this is fair so I am going to take on the entire British Army by myself while my wife and kids are in the house!" They bided their time, attempted to go through political channels first and after those failed (the British actually escalated the pressure on the citizenry) they took up arms.

We are a nation of laws. Gun owners went through the courts after the fact and while not getting a lot of satisfaction for the government abuses during Katrina, they did get law changes to prevent (reduce) such future incidents. The gov't and the courts did not ignore the petitions of the people. The legislature did not ignore the petitions and complaints of the people. The system is far from perfect and infringements are many, however, it is an entirely different situation.

buster81

imported post

HankT wrote:
buster81 wrote:
Would you rather die on your feet, or live on your knees???

Oh, please. :?

Either/or fallacy:

http://ksumail.kennesaw.edu/~shagin/logfal-pbc-eitheror.htm

What would you do, buster81?

Since you're asking, I would have left long before the crisis was created. With me, would have been my trustyirons. Molon Labe.

To each his own. Why don't you take your guns down to the police station and hand them in right now?

So, what exactly is a "State Researcher" anyway?