• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

got in trouble for OC

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

like_the_roman wrote:
US Code Title 18 Section 922

(x)(1) It shall be unlawful for a person to sell, deliver, or
otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has
reasonable cause to believe is a juvenile -
(A) a handgun; or
(B) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun.
(2) It shall be unlawful for any person who is a juvenile to
knowingly possess -
(A) a handgun; or
(B) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun.

(4) A handgun or ammunition, the possession of which is
transferred to a juvenile in circumstances in which the transferor
is not in violation of this subsection shall not be subject to
permanent confiscation by the Government if its possession by the
juvenile subsequently becomes unlawful because of the conduct of
the juvenile, but shall be returned to the lawful owner when such
handgun or ammunition is no longer required by the Government for
the purposes of investigation or prosecution.

(5) For purposes of this subsection, the term "juvenile" means a
person who is less than 18 years of age.
922(x) is probably unconstitutional under Lopez. The AZ statute is valid of course.

r6-rider

imported post

wow i got pretty lucky huh haha. thank you for the info guys i appreciate it, i have cheated death it appears and i will take that as a very good lesson learned. only 2 more months then and that pistol is going right back on my hip (but not while in uniform of course)

still sucks that military isnt exempt from alot of laws and rules though

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Mike wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
Good point, Sonora Rebel. It's actually against regulations to at least open carry in uniform, unless officially authorized, because a gun is not an authorized uniform component. Not sure about concealed....interesting thought.....
Cite to authority - in this case, applicable military regulation.
OH Pul-EEEEZ! Spare us the 'Cite' nonsense. There's so many levels of Military Regs from DoD to local Command you'd need a library. The 'Armed Forces' are the least armed individuals you can think of. Ya gotta have a 'carry chit' for a freakin' folding knife now fer God's sake. Every Command posts 'Uniform of the Day' in the 'Plan of the Day' or equiv. If it ain't there... you don't wear it. That could include gloves even in sub-zero if the CO or whoever didn't include it. There's NO latitude. You wear what 'n where and even certain times as prescribed. "Only time you will bear arms is when on armed watch (guard) and it will not be a personal weapon. It's issued at the assumption of the watch ortransferred over to the relief. In a combat zone... it 'may' be issued to the individual... and 'turned in' to the issuing authority when rotating out... if it's not Command property. Even in combat zones, personal weapons are often not allowed to be carried off duty. Command decides who, what. where 'n when. BTDT! Arms (as any equippage) are issued for a purpose... Your personal safety ain't normally one of 'em.

like_the_roman

imported post

r6-rider wrote:
)
still sucks that military isnt exempt from alot of laws and rules though

Yeah, it's a damn shame that members of the military aren't given special privileges over mere civilians like myself, who would otherwise be arrested and branded as a felon for illegally carrying a loaded handgun.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

The military is subject to even more 'laws' and regulations than civilians. (This is a good thing!)

r6-rider

imported post

whoa a little hostile there? im not trying to sound like im better im just saying im qualified to shoot/handle weapons (some of which most people will never shoot.) And i think its funny that im old enough to serve the country, be called on in the event that a crisis happens within the state, yet i cannot carry off duty.

Not that i really care considering im so close to 18 and am deploying sometime between febuary and april anyways but i still find it kind of wierd

like_the_roman

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
The military is subject to even more 'laws' and regulations than civilians.  (This is a good thing!)

I agree - but r6-rider shouldn't complain that he has to follow the statutes like everybody else, especially since he got away with breaking the law just because he happens to be in the employ of the military. If I had tried the same thing at 17, I'd be looking at the inside of Pima County Jail right now and would be barred from ever owning a firearm upon release.

PavePusher

imported post

Mike wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
Good point, Sonora Rebel. It's actually against regulations to at least open carry in uniform, unless officially authorized, because a gun is not an authorized uniform component. Not sure about concealed....interesting thought.....

Mike, I don't know what reg controls for swabbies, jarheads or grunts, I do know for we zoomies. AFI 36-2903 (used to be AFI 35-10), should be able to google a copy. By the reg,both OC and CC would be out because they are not specifically authorized. You could probably get away with CC off base, see below.

The reg for POFA (Privately Owned Firearms) on base I won't quote here, because the same reg covers a lot of base security stuff which AFAIK makes it Official Use Only material. I could be wrong and will try to find out. ButPOFA's on base are regulated at the discretion of the base commander, which means at most bases, no POFA's carried on person,only private storage is in family housing quarters, no POFA's in barracks/dorms, no transport onto base for anyone living off-post. This pretty much rules out any OC or CC on base,unless on duty with an issued weapon.

It's all pretty illogical considering the constant reminders to be vigilant and security conscious,especially consideringthemayhem I could cause without ever picking up a "weapon" here at work. Chemicals, explosives, electricity, heavy/sharp/long/pointy tools,infrastructure, fuels, aircraft,heavy equipment and vehicles, heat, pressurized equipment... welcome to the world of aircraft maintenance! :banghead:

r6-rider, hang in there!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Bearing arms concealed (in uniform) is a Violation of Geneva Conventions.
Cite to authority? Your posts are getting pretty out there - I suppose camoflage will be a violation of international law next?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Mike wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
OH Pul-EEEEZ! Spare us the 'Cite' nonsense.
it's not nonsense - it is a rule here. Please comply.

MetalChris

imported post

Mike wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
Bearing arms concealed (in uniform) is a Violation of Geneva Conventions.
Cite to authority? Your posts are getting pretty out there - I suppose camoflage will be a violation of international law next?
SR, the Geneva Conventions do not address weapons, that's the Hague Conventions. I looked into it and couldn't find anything in the Hague Conventions that prohibits CC in uniform.

Gunslinger

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Mike wrote:
NavyLT wrote:

Here:
http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/unireg/chapter3/uniformsMenu.htm

Look at any uniform listed there and show me where a gun is authorized to be worn with any uniform. And uniform regulations are not like laws. If the regulation does not say that it is authorized, then it isn't authorized. None of the services uniforms regulations will prescribe a gun as an optional component to the uniform that a servicemember can choose to add to the uniform if they want to.

Now, with some of the uniforms worn for formal occasions, a sword is an optional, sometimes required component of the uniform.
I needed it noted on my orders when I carried a sidearm to go with our First Shirt to pickup an AWOL in another state. Of course, I carried it onto a civilian transport, as well. Funny, they never cared much in SEA what we carried--or where. Just said, hide it. With all the guys wearing BDUs nowadays, they look like they should be carrying at least an M-4.:cool:

Gunslinger

imported post

PavePusher wrote:
Mike wrote:
NavyLT wrote:

Mike, I don't know what reg controls for swabbies, jarheads or grunts, I do know for we zoomies. AFI 36-2903 (used to be AFI 35-10), should be able to google a copy. By the reg,both OC and CC would be out because they are not specifically authorized. You could probably get away with CC off base, see below.

The reg for POFA (Privately Owned Firearms) on base I won't quote here, because the same reg covers a lot of base security stuff which AFAIK makes it Official Use Only material. I could be wrong and will try to find out. ButPOFA's on base are regulated at the discretion of the base commander, which means at most bases, no POFA's carried on person,only private storage is in family housing quarters, no POFA's in barracks/dorms, no transport onto base for anyone living off-post. This pretty much rules out any OC or CC on base,unless on duty with an issued weapon.

It's all pretty illogical considering the constant reminders to be vigilant and security conscious,especially consideringthemayhem I could cause without ever picking up a "weapon" here at work. Chemicals, explosives, electricity, heavy/sharp/long/pointy tools,infrastructure, fuels, aircraft,heavy equipment and vehicles, heat, pressurized equipment... welcome to the world of aircraft maintenance! :banghead:

r6-rider, hang in there!

You can carry to the armory and also check it out from there to take off base. That's what I did when I was staying in the VOQ here. No carry at all on base except in a PV, unloaded, to take off base or to bring to the armory. Or to bring on base with the intention of going shooting after work. This requires permission from your CC and the SFS/CC, but easy enough to get.

I remember AFR 35-10. My haircut always was just a bit out of it as a young Lt/Capt. But that was back in the early-mid '70s when long hair was in style.