• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

oc at wally world

medic1

imported post

I oc'ed at the walmart on lake mead and boulder. a few looks from the old man at the checkout counter, not a word from him.i toured the whole store, there was at one time a sign on thegarden ent door stating no firearms allowed,did not see it this time, could anyone shed some light on this?anyway my 6 year old son seen my holster in the car the other day and askedwhat it was for,and suggestions on how to explain why daddycarry's agun.after all the boy thinks i can take on the world single handedly.and by the way the holster was empty, when not carrying it is always double locked. i don't think he would comprehend the whole constitutional right to carry. any advice would be appreciated.

AnakinsKid

imported post

I still haven't OCed into a Wallyworld yet, but I was told by the lady at the gun counter in Kingman that people do it all the time there.

Maybe you could tell the kid the gun is part of a dad's monster-fighting duties. You already chased them out of his closet and from under his bed, but you might run into them on the street when they've got their homies with them.

If he says there's never been a monster in his closet or under his bed, tell him it's cause you're good at your job.

If he says he's never seen a monster at all, tell him they're out there, but since you carry a gun, they run away and hide whenever you're around.

Vegassteve

imported post

Tell the kid the truth. Explain the 2nd A. Do not make up stories just be upfront if the kid does not fully understand now, they will later.

DESERT ATILLA

imported post

I have a 6, 8 and 10 year old. I've CC'd for years and only recently started OC'ing. My kids, of course asked why I started wearing a gun. I kept the explanation simple and told them it was for protection and left it at that for the younger ones. My oldest and I have already had talks about freedom and our country. For all of them, my main goal was to emphasize the idea that by wearing my gun openly was no big deal. In a very short time they've gotten used to the sight. Kids are smarter than we tend to give them credit for. Just keep the dialog open.

HuckleBilly

imported post

I had a BB gun when I was six or seven. Guns have always been around in my family and there is no big deal about it with any of my family members. I taught my daughter how to shoot a pistol when she was very young.

The only reason people don't understand guns is because of the way it has become a "politically correct" issue. The truth is that a gun is only as dangerous as the person who holds it.

Infidel1

imported post

Guns have been a part of my daughters life from the time we brought her home from the Hospital. In my experience its best to be truthful and honest about your guns and make them a common place thing while teaching respect and safety at every age. If it is strange and forbidden kids will want it even more if it is a common everyday item it looses its luster. Just one mans opinion though.