• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC shotgun on a motorcycle and transporting legally in a car

Pistol Grip Pump

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Hey everyone I'm new to the forum and just moved here from the police state that is Illinois. I've been digging quite a bit and haven't found an answer to this specific question so here it goes. I'm 1 week from being 21, I live in Orange County, and I'm wondering how I can transport my shotgun legally to Raleigh where I shoot. It's a Winchester 1300 Pump 12 gauge with a pistol grip and a 21" barrel.

From my understanding I could technically carry it slung over my back while riding my motorcycle, but I figured I'd get some other opinions before riding down 40 like that.

Also, I drive a vehicle with no trunk or storage area seperate from the passenger compartment and I'm wondering which of the following locations are legal since I don't have my CC permit:
-locked case in rear of car
-not locked suction cup rack in rear window
-passenger seat

Lastly, I can do all of this with it loaded and chambered, correct?

I believe I'm pretty clear on the places where I can't take it, but any helpful advice will be appreciated. No I'm not planning on going to the grocery store with a 12-gauge on my back. I mostly want to avoid getting charged for carrying a concealed weapon in my car, and plan on OCing when I can legally purchase a handgun. thanks, jake

RayBurton72

imported post

Pistol Grip Pump wrote:
Hey everyone I'm new to the forum and just moved here from the police state that is Illinois. I've been digging quite a bit and haven't found an answer to this specific question so here it goes. I'm 1 week from being 21, I live in Orange County, and I'm wondering how I can transport my shotgun legally to Raleigh where I shoot. It's a Winchester 1300 Pump 12 gauge with a pistol grip and a 21" barrel.

From my understanding I could technically carry it slung over my back while riding my motorcycle, but I figured I'd get some other opinions before riding down 40 like that.

Also, I drive a vehicle with no trunk or storage area seperate from the passenger compartment and I'm wondering which of the following locations are legal since I don't have my CC permit:
-locked case in rear of car
-not locked suction cup rack in rear window
-passenger seat

Lastly, I can do all of this with it loaded and chambered, correct?

I believe I'm pretty clear on the places where I can't take it, but any helpful advice will be appreciated. No I'm not planning on going to the grocery store with a 12-gauge on my back. I mostly want to avoid getting charged for carrying a concealed weapon in my car, and plan on OCing when I can legally purchase a handgun. thanks, jake

For in the car, if locked in a case, it should be unloaded. (to comply with federal transportation law).

Otherwise, in plain view - which I guess would include a gun rack.

As for the motorcycle, it would be about the most open carry I can think of, but I think you can expect to turn some heads.

Pistol Grip Pump

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Thanks for all of the information Ray!

Even though it's a long gun, can I assume that it is legal to have it loaded and chambered as long as it is in plain view?

Also one more thing, if I'm transporting unloaded in a locked case, is there a specific location where I'd need to store the ammo? Thanks, Jake

RayBurton72

imported post

I too, would assume that, if OC'ing, yes, loaded (and chambered) is fine.

As for locked case, I believe ammoe is simply required to be in a seperate container (i.e. outside the locked area your weapon is in. (e.g. I have a lockable pocket of my range bag, which is where I put my 1911. The main portion of the same bag is where the ammo is (I carry the bag in the back of an SUV)

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

As far as the motorcycle thing goes, another OCDO member that used to live here in NC has taken a few trips on his bike with an AR-15 slung on his back :D. He didn't have any problems, and only a few turned heads lol. It is perfectly legal to sling carry a loaded long gun.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

ItsMyRight2Carry wrote:
What about riding my mountain bike around town with an AR on my back?
As long as you avoid the areas where possession of a firearm is illegal, you're fine. Now there's a difference between legality and practicality. A slung rifle isn't very effective as a defensive tool against a surprise attack by a criminal. A holstered handgun is much more effective in that case. Because of this, many people expect that carrying a long gun will attract more negative attention than a holstered hand gun. But, like I said before, carrying a long gun is no more or less legal than carrying a hand gun.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

ItsMyRight2Carry wrote:
I was jokingly being facetious...Although it's not illegal to carry a long gun openly, it would be a little impractical on a bicycle...LOL
Wait, so does that mean you were being serious? :p

swoolard

imported post

I bike (read: bicycle) regularly with my pistol openly holstered. Never had any problems and rarely have any looks.

As for the shotgun, you can have it chambered and fully loaded, just keep it in plain view. But, since I doubt you're going to use it for self-defense inside your car, for safety's sake, don't carry it chambered. Most shotguns are not designed to carry with one in the chamber and hence do not have precautions to prevent accidental discharge. My Remington 870 is a good example... I was shooting trap and it was my turn, well I chambered a round and set my feet, but tripped... almost fell, dropped the gun and the thing went off. Thankfully it was pointed down range when I dropped it. Just don't carry any type of long gun chambered.

There are holsters available that are for specifically made to sit in between the center console and the driver's seat.

If you have a bench-style seat, just keep the gun in your passenger seat, cased or not. The cop is going to ask you what it is and you will tell him and he wont give a damn.

Now, if you have a loaded, uncased gun behind your seat where it is difficult to see, you will get in trouble if the cop spots it in a peak behind your seat--which they will commonly do in NC if you're in a truck--especially State Troopers.