• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How can we get Open Carrying more widely accepted?

PT111

imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
PT111 wrote:
Well I don't think the fellows who wrote the Constitution rode around in automobiles or they would probably have included something about that inthe Bill of Rights. Since everyone is always talking about what they did and thought maybe we should travel like they did. It would be a lot safer. :cool: I know a lot more people that ride in automobiles than carry guns so I would suspect that more would be killed by automobiles than guns. However I don't think that was the case back in 1796. I did have a Great-Great-Uncle that was killed in a horse and buggy accident back in the late 1800's.:X
Wow - my post had nothing to do with the "fellows who wrote the Constitution" - or your Great-Great-Uncle. Are you the only person on this site that can post an opinion?

Opinions are like a certain part of the body and everyone is welcome to theirs. You are the one who made the comparision of guns to automobiles. I was merely pointing out that as dangerous as automobiles are ther Founding Fathers would probably have made some mention of them in the Constitution if they had existed back then. However as dangerous as automobiles are the perfered mode of transportation for the Founding Fathers was not without peril demonstrated by my actual family history. The dangers of travel are not something new and has always existed so rather than banning automobiles maybe we should ban travel. There was a recent thread on here about a woman who met her death while hiking so even walking is not without danger.

To try to ban automobiles or guns is an exercise in futility just as the hope to complete eliminate the dangers associated with either one. However we can possibly reduce the dangers associated with both.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Thread title: How can we get Open Carrying more widely accepted?

Work with your groups like OCDO, VCDL and the like to petition, lobby legislators, support candidates for office, vote and make our wishes known.

Work to get other gun related groups i.e. hunters, competition shooters, reinactors
et cetera into the fold of supporters. Power in numbers and a unified front.

Offer your talent and time, donate as you are able.

Organize and/or attend meet-ups, dinners, community service projects and the like.

Be a leader or a follower but get involved, stay involved.

Take a newbie to the range. Teach a youngster to shoot.

Smile a lot.

Yata hey

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Only way to promote OC is to "OC". It's like wearin' pants... Just do it!

QFT-

though I think that there is nothing wrong with OC as a statement, and exercise of free speech. While we can say and do what we want, we are the ambassadors of the Second Amendment and should conduct ourselves in a manner that would make our forefathers proud.

Orygunner

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
Only way to promote OC is to "OC". It's like wearin' pants... Just do it!

QFT-

though I think that there is nothing wrong with OC as a statement, and exercise of free speech. While we can say and do what we want, we are the ambassadors of the Second Amendment and should conduct ourselves in a manner that would make our forefathers proud.

That's it. That's my calling. I'm gonna make my forefathers proud and go shoot me some RedCoats! :celebrate

OK. Just kidding. But I get your point, and agree with it. However, there is some dissention as to what a "good" ambassador of the 2A and OC is.

I think most of the people I've seen post on OCDO seem to believe anyone who wants to carry,should carry. I've seen others that seem to have the idea you have to look respectable, dress nice, don't have purple hairand black nail polish, not OC a Desert Eagle, or not OC in a tactical thigh holster, or you're causing OCers a bad rap and will "hurt" the movement.

Good thing it's a RIGHT to OC. That means ANYONE can exercise it, despite their appearance, and in spite of the attitudes of some who claim to be Pro-OC (but not OC for everyone).

I don't think a little diversity and some odd people OCing can hurt the movement, as long as they're responsible, safe, and able to keep a reasonably cool head.

...Now where's them RedCoats :cool:...
...Orygunner...

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
anecdotal evidence" perpetrates the myths of gun registration. permits, license and all that other nonsense bandied about by the MSM and those so inculcated where none exists.  The purpose is to keep the sheep... SHEEP.  'Anecdotal evidence' is just another form of disinformation and agitation propaganda.
I think you meant "perpetuates".

PT111

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Thread title: How can we get Open Carrying more widely accepted?

Work with your groups like OCDO, VCDL and the like to petition, lobby legislators, support candidates for office, vote and make our wishes known.

Work to get other gun related groups i.e. hunters, competition shooters, reinactors et cetera into the fold of supporters. Power in numbers and a unified front.

Offer your talent and time, donate as you are able.

Organize and/or attend meet-ups, dinners, community service projects and the like.

Be a leader or a follower but get involved, stay involved.

Take a newbie to the range. Teach a youngster to shoot.

Smile a lot.

Yata hey
+1

ADulay

imported post

How to get OC a bit more "socially acceptable" when it becomes available?

Well, when we first started the Federal Flight Deck Officer program (FFDO) where commecial airline pilots were issued duty weapons (after appropriate training) the initial year or so was a bit testy with many individuals as the "normal operations" had been changed with the introduction of a weapon for the pilot on duty.

As time went on, most of the non-carrying pilots got used to the sight of the H&K secured in a holster and everbody went about their business. Now it's a common sight and nobody really thinks twice about it.

It's NORMAL now. That's the key.

There is or will be a period of time where unarmed citizens are initially shocked, then curious as to why that guy on the Harley with his wife is carrying a PPK on his belt. Pretty soon they've seen the same guy 10 times at the diner, the gas station and at Home Depot. By then it's merely an interesting thing to tell his neighbors "up north" about.

OK, true story......

Back when I was allowed to take the TV station helicopter pretty much anywhere I wanted, my girlfriend and I would land at a suburban Denny's and have lunch or dinner from time to time. The very first time we did it, the local city brought out two fire engines, paramedics, several police and perhaps a dog or two because they didn't know what was happening. Once it was explained that we didn't crash or anything they slowly went away. The next time in, only one fire engine kind of idled on by on the street. The third time one police car cruised on past. After that, nobody looked twice and we could eat any meal at any time with no problems.

The bottom line? Once people see the OC and get used to it, there shouldn't be any more reasons to be stopped and checked because of ignorance on the part of the public and the local law enforcement people.

AD