Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Getting a Non-Resident CCW

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1

    Post imported post

    I live in Missouri and have a permit in my home state. But I have a few questions. I have completed the NRA Basic Pistol Course here in MO, is that ok for Mass? If the training is ok at the bottom of the application it has type of license appllying for Class A or Class B. Is one easier to get than the other? Does it really matter? And at the very bottom the "All Lawful Purpose" line. What do I fill in there? What are good "detailed reasons"? Any help would be great ..thank you

  2. #2
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855

    Post imported post

    Easy to get a B, with an existing CCW from another state; hard to get an A, but can be done if you have a good reason, e.g., carry cash, valuables as part of job, competitive shooter. I had a res CCW when I lived there in the late 70s and had no problem getting a non-res when at Hanscom AFB--but a B as I only asked for sport/target use. With my NH and VA CCWs I always went to NH to shoot anyway. You don't need any course/training. Just a valid CCW from your home state.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    902

    Post imported post

    Gunslinger wrote:
    Easy to get a B, with an existing CCW from another state; hard to get an A, but can be done if you have a good reason, e.g., carry cash, valuables as part of job, competitive shooter. I had a res CCW when I lived there in the late 70s and had no problem getting a non-res when at Hanscom AFB--but a B as I only asked for sport/target use. With my NH and VA CCWs I always went to NH to shoot anyway. You don't need any course/training. Just a valid CCW from your home state.
    It is not hard to get a non resident Class A LTC. Do not spread falsehoods. Ever since the wakefield shootings back in 2000, the FRB will issue a Class A carry license to non-residents with a home state permit.

    They never even asked for a reason for an ALP LTC until residents stated to bitch about the situation. Now you just have to put you are trained with a gun, know the rules of deadly force, you have large cap mags (must be pre-1994) etc.



  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    902

    Post imported post

    inaworldoflint wrote:
    I live in Missouri and have a permit in my home state. But I have a few questions. I have completed the NRA Basic Pistol Course here in MO, is that ok for Mass? If the training is ok at the bottom of the application it has type of license appllying for Class A or Class B. Is one easier to get than the other? Does it really matter? And at the very bottom the "All Lawful Purpose" line. What do I fill in there? What are good "detailed reasons"? Any help would be great ..thank you

    With a home state permit, ask for a Class A All Lawful Purpose license. They really are pretty easy to get, if you have the home state permit and the $100 per year.

    You basic pistol course will qualify; however, your instructor needs to be qualified by the Mass Colonel of the State police. It's an additional certification. Not many people have this out of state.

    It's a very difficult requirement to meet for people outside of New England and it has been keeping a lot of people from being able tofulfill the training requirement.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Mystic, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2

    Post imported post

    Who exactly should I contact in order to obtain the application for this? I am from CT and would like to be able to come up and shoot with friends at local ranges near Cape Cod......

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    902

    Post imported post

    Call the Mass firearms record Bureau at 617-660-4780. Listen to the options and then you have to leave a voice mail in their inbox. Tell them you need a non-resident LTC application and that you will need the fingerprint card.

    Two days later the app will be in your mailbox.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Mystic, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2

    Post imported post

    Thanks! Any idea how long the whole process takes? And do they typically approve?

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    902

    Post imported post

    It takes about 8 weeks. Be sure to follow the instructions exactly. Don't forget your self addressed stamped return envelope.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Maryville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    407

    Post imported post

    Does the FRB accept a resident class A LTC as evidence of training? I 'm from Massachusetts and now live in east Tennessee and I don't have my training certificate anymore. I still have my unexpired resident LTC.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855

    Post imported post

    Jared wrote:
    Gunslinger wrote:
    Easy to get a B, with an existing CCW from another state; hard to get an A, but can be done if you have a good reason, e.g., carry cash, valuables as part of job, competitive shooter. I had a res CCW when I lived there in the late 70s and had no problem getting a non-res when at Hanscom AFB--but a B as I only asked for sport/target use. With my NH and VA CCWs I always went to NH to shoot anyway. You don't need any course/training. Just a valid CCW from your home state.
    It is not hard to get a non resident Class A LTC. Do not spread falsehoods. Ever since the wakefield shootings back in 2000, the FRB will issue a Class A carry license to non-residents with a home state permit.

    They never even asked for a reason for an ALP LTC until residents stated to bitch about the situation. Now you just have to put you are trained with a gun, know the rules of deadly force, you have large cap mags (must be pre-1994) etc.

    Reread what I said. They are harder to get than a B. If you think otherwise, you're incorrect. If your reason is not solid, you can request an A but will get a B. As I most recently got mine in 2004--well after your Wakefield event, I'm well aware of the process. I also had a resident back when I previously lived in MA. The State Police are fair in how they give non-res permits, unlike many local departments. But they are considerably stricter about allowing an A because it allows the use of large cap magazines which are prohibited by statute.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Southern Illinois, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    364

    Post imported post

    So how about someone like me from Illinois, who is a "right denied state" and doesn't issue a LTC. I have a non-resident Utah LTC. Is it possible, though unlikely, for me to get a non-resident Massachusetts LTC?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •