• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting a Non-Resident CCW

inaworldoflint

imported post

I live in Missouri and have a permit in my home state. But I have a few questions. I have completed the NRA Basic Pistol Course here in MO, is that ok for Mass? If the training is ok at the bottom of the application it has type of license appllying for Class A or Class B. Is one easier to get than the other? Does it really matter? And at the very bottom the "All Lawful Purpose" line. What do I fill in there? What are good "detailed reasons"? Any help would be great ..thank you

Gunslinger

imported post

Easy to get a B, with an existing CCW from another state; hard to get an A, but can be done if you have a good reason, e.g., carry cash, valuables as part of job, competitive shooter. I had a res CCW when I lived there in the late 70s and had no problem getting a non-res when at Hanscom AFB--but a B as I only asked for sport/target use. With my NH and VA CCWs I always went to NH to shoot anyway. You don't need any course/training. Just a valid CCW from your home state.

Jared

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
Easy to get a B, with an existing CCW from another state; hard to get an A, but can be done if you have a good reason, e.g., carry cash, valuables as part of job, competitive shooter. I had a res CCW when I lived there in the late 70s and had no problem getting a non-res when at Hanscom AFB--but a B as I only asked for sport/target use. With my NH and VA CCWs I always went to NH to shoot anyway. You don't need any course/training. Just a valid CCW from your home state.

It is not hard to get a non resident Class A LTC. Do not spread falsehoods. Ever since the wakefield shootings back in 2000, the FRB will issue a Class A carry license to non-residents with a home state permit.

They never even asked for a reason for an ALP LTC until residents stated to bitch about the situation. Now you just have to put you are trained with a gun, know the rules of deadly force, you have large cap mags (must be pre-1994) etc.

Jared

imported post

inaworldoflint wrote:
I live in Missouri and have a permit in my home state. But I have a few questions. I have completed the NRA Basic Pistol Course here in MO, is that ok for Mass? If the training is ok at the bottom of the application it has type of license appllying for Class A or Class B. Is one easier to get than the other? Does it really matter? And at the very bottom the "All Lawful Purpose" line. What do I fill in there? What are good "detailed reasons"? Any help would be great ..thank you

With a home state permit, ask for a Class A All Lawful Purpose license. They really are pretty easy to get, if you have the home state permit and the $100 per year.

You basic pistol course will qualify; however, your instructor needs to be qualified by the Mass Colonel of the State police. It's an additional certification. Not many people have this out of state.

It's a very difficult requirement to meet for people outside of New England and it has been keeping a lot of people from being able tofulfill the training requirement.

ssrs10

imported post

Who exactly should I contact in order to obtain the application for this? I am from CT and would like to be able to come up and shoot with friends at local ranges near Cape Cod......

Jared

imported post

Call the Mass firearms record Bureau at 617-660-4780. Listen to the options and then you have to leave a voice mail in their inbox. Tell them you need a non-resident LTC application and that you will need the fingerprint card.

Two days later the app will be in your mailbox.

Jared

imported post

It takes about 8 weeks. Be sure to follow the instructions exactly. Don't forget your self addressed stamped return envelope.

massltca

imported post

Does the FRB accept a resident class A LTC as evidence of training? I 'm from Massachusetts and now live in east Tennessee and I don't have my training certificate anymore. I still have my unexpired resident LTC.

Gunslinger

imported post

Jared wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

It is not hard to get a non resident Class A LTC. Do not spread falsehoods. Ever since the wakefield shootings back in 2000, the FRB will issue a Class A carry license to non-residents with a home state permit.

They never even asked for a reason for an ALP LTC until residents stated to bitch about the situation. Now you just have to put you are trained with a gun, know the rules of deadly force, you have large cap mags (must be pre-1994) etc.
Reread what I said. They are harder to get than a B. If you think otherwise, you're incorrect. If your reason is not solid, you can request an A but will get a B. As I most recently got mine in 2004--well after your Wakefield event, I'm well aware of the process. I also had a resident back when I previously lived in MA. The State Police are fair in how they give non-res permits, unlike many local departments. But they are considerably stricter about allowing an A because it allows the use of large cap magazines which are prohibited by statute.

junglebob

imported post

So how about someone like me from Illinois, who is a "right denied state" and doesn't issue a LTC. I have a non-resident Utah LTC. Is it possible, though unlikely, for me to get a non-resident Massachusetts LTC?