• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If federal law prohibited all types of carry...

curtiswr

imported post

Would you go deep cover concealed or comply?

This is hypothetical, a sort of ethics question I guess. It's not meant to stir up election debates.

Legba

imported post

All types? As in hunting and range trips too? I'd have to invoke some kind of civil disobedience to get my "blowing-stuff-up-gratuitously" time in. We used to do "drive-bys" on deer-crossing signs in the country until they made it a felony to discharge a gun from a car (to discourage gang stuff). Might have to resurrect that in some form if they banned all of it otherwise. That or set up ad hoc basement ranges, perhaps.

-ljp

JBURGII

imported post

I plead the 5th... er or is that one repealed "theoretically"?

"We are Borg (U.S. Government), Resistance is Futile!"

Er.. hmm.. Pelosi = Locutus?? "We are the Fed, Resistance is logged for future

prosecution (persecution)!"

Sheriff

imported post

curtiswr wrote:
This is hypothetical, a sort of ethics question I guess. It's not meant to stir up election debates.
Whoa! Politics or not, it may not be hypothetical if Obama gets elected.

I think all gun owners are in for arude awakening.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I have no idea of what you are not talking about - does anybody not know?

Yata hey

Marco

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
To quote Ted Nugent:

" No man will dictate to me how when or where I can defend myself".
Aren't you and Ted protected under HR 218?
I know Ted is.

JBURGII

imported post

Is there property still available near the Nuge's house? I would like to buy some.

ODA 226

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
To quote Ted Nugent:

" No man will dictate to me how when or where I can defend myself".
Aren't you and Ted protected under HR 218?
I know Ted is.
I quit being aDeputy Sheriffin 1995. Now I have to get "permission" to carry a concealed weapon to defend myself against all the BG's I dealt with as a sworn officer. Pretty stupid isn't it? I guess the government doesn't trust me anymore. :cry:

ODA 226

imported post

:cuss:One more thing that I HATE about this bill! :cuss:

Only "retired" police officers are covered by this bill and with that, it leads me to believe that this was written into law as a "perk" for those that served out their 20 years.

Who are they to say that five years of honorable police service makes me less capable of making sound decisions with a firearm than some guy that most likely did 15 years on the road and then settled out the rest of his time behind a desk? (yeah, yeah, I know that this doesn't apply to all LEOs).

Both of us are academy graduates. Why does he get to carry concealed to protect himself from BGs and not ALL former LEOs if it isn't a "perk"? Is his judgement better than mine? This is BS IMHO.

For the record, I think it is BS that any free man be forced to apply to the state for "Permission" to defend himself.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I think it would be highly unlikely that the feds would or could invoke such a law. Not impossible, but not likely. These are state issues, not federal.

Still I am not so naive as to believe that none of this cannot or will not come to pass. Just one more reason not to trust government and to watch them like a hawk.

Sheriff

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
:cuss:One more thing that I HATE about this bill! :cuss:

What I hate about the bill is the fact it does not take into account the power that a sheriff in Virginia has. A sheriff can hire or fire, at will, with or without cause, at any time he chooses to do so.

In one case, a sheriff hired his own son who was blinded in one eye after a bar room brawl. In another case, a new incoming sheriff fired a deputy who had been on the job for 22 years with steadily increasing performance evaluations year after year.

The bar room son is covered by the bill, the other outstanding deputy isn't.

Freeflight

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I use this ALLOT on this forum and others.. but I wonder how many have read it and understand what I'm saying by quoting Thomas Jefferson?

And so my Answer to the OP is:

"And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms....The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson in a letter to William S. Smith in 1787. Taken from Jefferson, On Democracy 20, S. Padover ed., 1939

Signed FreeFlight 10/20/08

edit: really must use spell check BEFORE posting...