• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nevada ACLU backs gun rights

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
The 'trend' has already started.

The SC branch was recently decertified and the national organization installed an office in the State, ostensibly over financial issues but two state insiders have suggested that 2A issues are at the core of the disagreement.

I didn't know that, Doug. The article says that a spokeswoman for the national organization of the ACLU is unaware of any other affiliate that had taken a differing position on the Second Amendment.

(Edited for a typographical error.)

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

The first G00gle hit on a naive search http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/02/us/02aclu.html

The A.C.L.U. has accused the affiliate of mismanagement and not spending enough money on efforts to defend civil liberties. But affiliate leaders contend their group is being punished for raising questions about the direction and leadership of the national organization.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I don't expect much to be forthcoming of their laundry in public or press.

The national ACLU disagrees with the Supreme Court ruling and sees the Second Amendment as a collective right to own guns and not an individual one.

A national ACLU spokeswoman said affiliates are free to take positions that differ from those of the national office. The spokeswoman added she was unaware of any other affiliate that had taken a differing position on the Second Amendment.

KansasMustang

imported post

What I want to know is, if the ACLU is ever going to mean what it says. American Civil Liberties Union, MEANING All civil liberties!!! Bless the Nevada group !!!