Thread: Question regarding NH License

Post imported post

Hey there everyone. I have a question about applying for an out-of-state license in NH. I was in NH last weekend and will probably travel there quite often, seeing as how my in-laws are in Vt. I would love to be able to carry there, as i do in Vt. I was told that it can be quite easy to obtain an out-of-state license by basically filling out the paperwork and paying the $20.

However, when i went onto nh.gov, it states on the application that i must supply a copy ofa"concealed carrypermit issued by the state, county or town" in which i live. My issue is that i only have a target/hunting pistol license through NY.

Would i still be able toapply and be granted an out-of-state license in N.H.?

State Researcher

Post imported post

For a while they stopped accepting permits that were not specifically for concealed carry but I think they have gone back to accepting any permit.

Your best bet would be to call them and ask.

Post imported post

Thanks Mark, i will give em' a call. No sense in sending in my paperwork & $20 for no reason.

Post imported post

NH.gov must be out of date. The administrative rules for issuance of non-resident licenses have not required a home-state license for at least 3-4 years. Many folks who live in no-issue or may-issue states go with a Florida, Utah, or Maine license in order to secure their NH license.

Post imported post

mvpel wrote:
    NH.gov must be out of date. The administrative rules for issuance of non-resident licenses have not required a home-state license for at least 3-4 years. Many folks who live in no-issue or may-issue states go with a Florida, Utah, or Maine license in order to secure their NH license.
    mvpel, thank you for the info!Now i know there may be hope for me. In time, i plan to apply for as many states as possible, as i like to travel. I would love to have the option to legally carry in as many states as possible.

For now, id love to get as many New England states as possible, such as NH.

Post imported post

unarmed in westchester wrote:
    mvpel wrote:
    mvpel, thank you for the info!Now i know there may be hope for me. In time, i plan to apply for as many states as possible, as i like to travel. I would love to have the option to legally carry in as many states as possible.

For now, id love to get as many New England states as possible, such as NH.
    Your big problem will be that most New England states don't recognize other states and/or don't like to issue licenses. Particularly the Southern New England states (you can probably guess which ones).

Post imported post

CJ wrote:
    Your big problem will be that most New England states don't recognize other states and/or don't like to issue licenses. Particularly the Southern New England states (you can probably guess which ones).
    Can't get a permit in Vermont either!! Imagine the nerve of those Vermonters, not requiring a government permission slip to exercise your RKBA
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    CJ wrote:
    Can't get a permit in Vermont either!! Imagine the nerve of those Vermonters, not requiring a government permission slip to exercise your RKBA
    But the VT government puts lots of places off limits. Plus they ban suppressors.

Overall, NH is far better.

Post imported post

KBCraig wrote:
    Thundar wrote:
    CJ wrote:
    But the VT government puts lots of places off limits. Plus they ban suppressors.

There aren't that many places off limits in VT.

Post imported post

CJ wrote:
    KBCraig wrote:
    Thundar wrote:
    CJ wrote:

There aren't that many places off limits in VT.
    Not compared to many Southern states, but I was comparing them to NH. VT also lacks strong preemption, so local governments can add further restrictions.

I read the NH Union Leader daily, and I recall a story from last year, where some hinky suspect was fleeing the police who were after him for being creepy in a no-creepy zone. When they caught him, the most they could really charge him with was possessing a gun on school grounds, because he had cut across the corner of a school lawn on foot. That violated both state law and local ordinances.

No such law in NH. The only place off limits by statute in NH is courtrooms, and they have to provide storage for you while you're inside. Total preemption, so that NH towns cannot regulate guns in any way.

Don't get me wrong, I like the VT system of not requiring any license for either open or concealed carry, but overall NH is better.

Post imported post

Having visited NH once in my life I did not hesitate to get a non-resident CC permit. The process was easy and at $20 for 5 years it was hard to beat.

Post imported post

KBCraig wrote:
    Not compared to many Southern states, but I was comparing them to NH. VT also lacks strong preemption, so local governments can add further restrictions.

I read the NH Union Leader daily, and I recall a story from last year, where some hinky suspect was fleeing the police who were after him for being creepy in a no-creepy zone. When they caught him, the most they could really charge him with was possessing a gun on school grounds, because he had cut across the corner of a school lawn on foot. That violated both state law and local ordinances.

No such law in NH. The only place off limits by statute in NH is courtrooms, and they have to provide storage for you while you're inside. Total preemption, so that NH towns cannot regulate guns in any way.

Don't get me wrong, I like the VT system of not requiring any license for either open or concealed carry, but overall NH is better.
    We have a pretty strong pre-emption law, though many cities and towns have attempted to disobey it (only to be slammed in court):

"§ 2295. Authority of municipal and county governments to regulate firearms, ammunition, hunting, fishing and trapping

Except as otherwise provided by law, no town, city or incorporated village, by ordinance, resolution or other enactment, shall directly regulate hunting, fishing and trapping or the possession, ownership, transportation, transfer, sale, purchase, carrying, licensing or registration of traps, firearms, ammunition or components of firearms or ammunition. This section shall not limit the powers conferred upon a town, city or incorporated village under section 2291(8) of this title. The provisions of this section shall supersede any inconsistent provisions of a municipal charter. (Added 1987, No. 178 (Adj. Sess.), eff. May 9, 1988.)"

http://www.leg.state.vt.us/statutes/...;Section=02295

In the other section referenced, municipalities may only regulate the discharge of firearms, nothing else. http://www.leg.state.vt.us/statutes/...;Section=02291

It's technically legal to have a gun on school grounds here (but not in a school building orschool bus/school owned vehicle)if not with the intent of doing anything illegal. The federal gun free school zone act and people's hysteria about guns around schools complicates that though. There are some local ordinances on it (Rutland City for example)but they violate the state pre-emption law so if that issue is raised in court they can't be enforced. The silencer issue bugs me the most about VT.

I think NH's laws are pretty good (even better when the police know and follow them) overall, but I don't like needing a license, and the law against loaded open carry in avehicle without thelicense is the worst gun law NH has. So seeing as how that's probably the worst NH isn't that bad.

Post imported post

I think NH's laws are pretty good (even better when the police know and follow them) overall, but I don't like needing a license, and the law against loaded open carry in avehicle without thelicense is the worst gun law NH has. So seeing as how that's probably the worst NH isn't that bad.
    That, and the prohibition on loaded long guns in vehicles (whether concealed or open).

It's a Fish & Game law also found in many other states, designed to reduce poaching or shooting game from the roadways, but it's overly broad in its application. If I have a tactical/defensive 18.5" 12 gauge loaded with 7 rounds of buckshot, I'm obviously not trying to cruise the highways and byways hoping a moose will jump out in front of me. Even if I was, it's pretty hard to stuff an 800 pound critter into the trunk on a busy road without being noticed.

I agree with you about the license, but I would support an Alaska-style system, where a license isn't required, but is available for reciprocity purposes.

Kevin