• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arkansas TV Anchorwoman Attacked / No Defense

JBURGII

imported post

Police: Arkansas TV anchorwoman attacked in home
Monday, October 20, 2008 10:14:29 PM
By CHUCK BARTELS

A popular local TV anchorwoman who had a small part in the Bush biopic "W" was in critical condition Monday after being stabbed and beaten in her home, and police said they are investigating possible motives.

KATV anchor Anne Pressly, 26, was found about 4:30 a.m. Monday by her mother, who went to the house when her daughter didn't answer a wake-up call, Little Rock police spokesman Cassandra Davis said.

Davis said investigators are talking to Pressly's co-workers to determine whether she "has had any problems." Davis said Pressly's purse was gone and that robbery was among the possible motives being explored. Davis would not discuss
specifics of what the investigation revealed.

Pressly was found unresponsive in her bed. Davis said Pressly had been beaten and stabbed severely and was in critical condition at an hospital.

Pressly appeared briefly in Oliver Stone's new movie about President Bush that opened over the weekend.

She portrays a conservative commentator who speaks favorably of President Bush's "Mission Accomplished" event on an aircraft carrier shortly after the start of the Iraq war. She won the role after being noticed by the casting director when she went to Shreveport, La., where the movie was filmed, to work on a story about it and the city's film industry.

Spokeswoman Kate Hubin for the film company Lionsgate confirmed Pressly's role but declined to comment further.

KATV's Web site notes that Pressly's most notable interview was with Vice President Dick Cheney. Traveling through an Arkansas town, she found the highway blocked in front of a hunting goods store because Cheney was inside. Pressly asked for an interview, which she conducted on the ammunition aisle.

During its 11:30 a.m. newscast, anchor Jason Pederson read a story about the attack.

"We would ask that you keep Anne in your thoughts and, especially, in your prayers," Pederson said.

Early Monday afternoon, a man answering a phone number for Pressly's mother, Patricia Cannady, said the family had no comment.

This is the reason I carry.

JBURGII

imported post

Thats correct. That is why I also try to make sure there is no opportunity for such cowards to make entry. A lot of crimes are opportunistic which is why I drill it in to family and friends that vigilence is not having to be completely paranoid.. just aware of your surroundings.. J

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think it is far too early in the reporting to say "no defense". As they say, we haven't seen the other guy yet. While my guess is that is a correct assumption, we have to wait for the news details to flesh out more.

JBURGII

imported post

That is true. I did assume a little bit. But had not seen more info as of writing. I found the story fresh and used it as an example to some family and friends about not being prepared. But on the other hand, you can be fully prepared and still suffer a vicious attack that is debilitating. Chaos theory?

Paul Volk

imported post

Very sad. Let's just hope she makes a full and speedy recovery and LEO catches the BG. Also, let's hope Anne now sees the need to be prepared to defend herself against future attacks.

JBURGII wrote:

This is the reason I carry.
Amen!

And this goes beyond carrying too. We need a mode of defense for every situation in life. I know I'm completely capable of self defense even while laying in my bed.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Most people think they are immune to this sort'a thing. "'Never happen to me... " and yet it does 'happen to them'. They are not prepared... mentally or physically... or possess the neccessary tools. They don't think about, much less prepare for the possibilities.Moreover... those who refuse to 'prepare', deride those who will (and do). Pehaps they're too civilized... too comfortable... too complaicent... too sheltered.

TooDeliberately Ignorant

They can't mentally deal with violence... or the awful consequences. They are the SHEEP!

JBURGII

imported post

I manage a small rooming house here in oregon. I have one tenent who was severly beaten before I took over.. nice guy down on his luck.. some local kid with anger issues took it out on him ALMOST to the point of death. As it is he has a lot of physical recovery and reconstructive surgery to endure.. the perp got less than a month in jail on an assault 4 (lowest level) charge.. a few thousand in damages..

This kid had the ba**s to enter the property against a restraining order while I was not on watch. This is against his probation terms.. I let it be known I will meet him at the door next time. This is why I carry. I actually answered the door the other day with my legal length 12 ga shorty and it was a local leo. He didn't bat an eye. Just gave me the reason for his visit and was very polite about it.

Sorry, I'm rambling again.. :D I do this after my coffee..

But the story about this young lady just rips me up. I hope shes okay.

AbNo

imported post

KATV is one of the main news stations in AR. I moved away before this girl (who is my age) started working there, so I have no clue on her style.

The station, as a whole, however, leans pretty hard this way. <---- .

Edit: I just realized in context that sounds a bit callous. Eh well, I'll leave it up anyway.

MetalChris

imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
Betcha whoever did it isn't man enough to hold his own against someone that's equal to him.:cuss:
If only she had one of these, she'd probably still be alive and kickin...

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I wonder how many news stories we'll see/read that will suggest that maybe self defense even MIGHT be a good idea. I wonder if any will have a paragraph about it? How about even a sentence?

MetalChris

imported post

Notso wrote:
I wonder how many news stories we'll see/read that will suggest that maybe self defense even MIGHT be a good idea. I wonder if any will have a paragraph about it? How about even a sentence?
Self defense? But I thought we were supposed to cower in a corner, curled up like a helpless fetus while we wait for the cops to save the day! /sarcasm

On a serious note, I share your sentiment. I'm so sick and tired of reading these stories every day that could have gone the other way had the LAC been armed. What sucks is it isn't going to change...it's just going to get worse.

The wussification of America is almost complete.

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I totally agree - very sad indeed. I was hoping that since she had survived a couple of days, that she would pull through. Very troubling for me since my 23 year old daughter just moved to New York City this past summer to teach at an inner city school with the Teach for America program. I'm wondering how we can use thisincidentas a 'battle cry' forthe necessity of self-defense??Something I will be giving a great deal of thought to over the next few days.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Unfortunately this scenario is played out daily all over the county. They still 'don't get it' tho... and they die.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
They still 'don't get it' tho... and they die.

Oh, yes they do.

"They" being the gun-controllers. It doesn't take a rocket-scientist to grasp it.

You can't be connected to the subject for any length of time without understanding.

Its willful, knowing, and deliberate.

Brady, politicians, et al have blood on their hands and blackness in their hearts.