• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No weapons in Hospital waiting room?

RayBurton72

imported post

So I spent some time at a local hospital's surgical care waiting room today while my wife has surgery. I carried concealed to avoid the inevitable confrontation with hospital security if I carried openly at a women's hospital

We went last night for some pre-op treatment and checked carefully for any no-weapons signs. Saw none.

Looked carefully on arrival today (different entrance), saw none. Waiting in pre-op with my wife, no problems. As was being rolled into the OR, I was sent to the surgical waiting room. No signs on the entrance, but once I entered the room, one portion of the room had a small sign on the wall over the TV saying no weapons, concealed or otherwise.

Now, I know the state law says
14-415 (c) ...where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises.

My understanding is that "conspicuous notice" (according to my CCP instructor) means at the entrances to the premises.

Question: what was my obligation as a CHP holder? If I sat in the one section of the room where that was not posted, was I in violation of the law? Was I obligated to leave the waiting room?

Your thoughts...

eclipse13

imported post

IMO you weren't doing anything wrong. If there are no signs on the entrances then you should be fine. However, I'm not expert on the law, that is just my opinion.