• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another silly Clerk's Office requirement

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Got to chatting with an employee at Bass Pro today about our classes and he said that he had his CHP issued by Hanover. He said that he had no problems getting it but thought it odd that they required him to provide a SASE.

I explained to him that an SASE was not required by law and that other jurisdictions were doing that too. I havent heard of any nonsense like that out of Hanover as they are usually pretty good about CHPs.

some verb

imported post

I'll never understand where they come up with this stuff. This also seems to be a good place to say hello and tell my CHP story from about 2 months ago.

I printed off the application, but left off pages 2 and 3 (had no "yes" answers to explain, and didn't think the notices needed to be turned in....whoops). Took the application and a copy of an NRA cert to the Roanoke County clerk's office. The extremely helpful and nice woman behind the desk double checked my form, found the missing pages, and actually pulled a new application from their stack on the front of the counter (good place to keep them!) and stapled mine back together, took my check, and gave me an envelope to write my address on. About 12 days later, I had my permit in hand. Was a refreshingly good governmental experience.

So, hello OCDO'rs. I lurk here a lot, so I thought I'd actually say hello.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

some verb wrote:
I'll never understand where they come up with this stuff. This also seems to be a good place to say hello and tell my CHP story from about 2 months ago.

I printed off the application, but left off pages 2 and 3 (had no "yes" answers to explain, and didn't think the notices needed to be turned in....whoops). Took the application and a copy of an NRA cert to the Roanoke County clerk's office. The extremely helpful and nice woman behind the desk double checked my form, found the missing pages, and actually pulled a new application from their stack on the front of the counter (good place to keep them!) and stapled mine back together, took my check, and gave me an envelope to write my address on. About 12 days later, I had my permit in hand. Was a refreshingly good governmental experience.

So, hello OCDO'rs. I lurk here a lot, so I thought I'd actually say hello.

Welcome SV - nice to hear a good story like that!

Jim

darthmord

imported post

Norfolk VA was a breeze. I went down to the Clerk's office. Got my forms, paid my fee. Filled out the forms. Took everything over to the 1st Precinct for fingerprinting.

12 calendar days later, got a voicemail indicating our permits were ready to be picked up.

The following day, picked up my permit and had them laminate it for me on the spot. I even commented on that to the Clerk assisting me that it was nice seeing government working that fast and efficiently. Her response was "If only the *REST* of it would work that well". :lol:

13 days from submission of paperwork to pickup of permit. Norfolk didn't play around.

Yet I've got a co-worker whose husband is now going on 8 months to get his conceal permit in NC. Told her she could probably get a non-resident VA permit faster.

sidestreet

imported post

Actually,I didn't mind taking that route at all. Saved me a trip going back to the Sheriff's Dept. to get it, andeven though gas prices have dropped dramatically in the last few weeks, I still look for ways to save gas/ money on gas/ or burn less gas.

The first time I applied for my CHP (in Hanover, not long after Va. became shall issue), I got my permit through the mail in FIVE working days!!!I was upset!!! The clerk at the Sheriff's Dept. said "It should take about 30 days to come through the mail", so when my wife was coming back into the house with the mail and said "Honey, did you mail yourself a letter?", I thought, Oh crap!!! I must have been denied!!! What could they have possibly found to deny me? Well, I tore open the envelope and there it was, my little CHP card!!!

When I went to renew the permit, it took a lot longer,I guess because there are many more folks applying for their CHP than in the beginning, and that's a good thing, right?

As for me, the SASE was noproblem. Not sure if that was the point you were making Proshooter, but thought I would add my $0.02.

zoom6zoom

imported post

The point is that we can't allow them to add any extra-legal requirements over and above what the state delineates, regardless of how minor they are. The law is the law, and they must play by the rules just as we must. If allowed they'll nickel and dime us back to the old ways.

soloban

imported post

Alexandria does this too. I didn't really mind it since I didn't have to go all the way back over to the Court House to pick up my permit.

TexasNative

imported post

But it's important to tell them they can't add more requirements beyond what's dictated in law. The envelope and postage is supposed to be covered by what they charge you for the permit.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

TexasNative wrote:
But it's important to tell them they can't add more requirements beyond what's dictated in law. The envelope and postage is supposed to be covered by what they charge you for the permit.

well, no - the statute is silent as to mailing vs. in person pickup.

Would you rather take half a day off work and drive down there, pick it up, show ID, and have somebody try to copy your ID??

TexasNative

imported post

The statute is clear as to what you're required to submit, Mike. And a SASE is not among the requirements.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

TexasNative wrote:
The statute is clear as to what you're required to submit, Mike. And a SASE is not among the requirements.
Are you filing somthing with a Court? Courts may make their own procedures, and frankly, this procedure benifits you by obviating a return visit.

TexasNative

imported post

These are two different things, Mike.

If they say, for instance, "If you give us a SASE, we'll mail it to you using your envelope. Otherwise, you'll have to return to our offices to pick up your permit" then you've got to evaluate what's better for you (although I think they're being petty, since you've already paid them up to $50).

OTOH, if they say, "We don't accept your application without an SASE" they're adding an extra-legal requirement.

For myself, I didn't have that problem. The Loudoun County Clerk of the Court mails the permit on his own dime.

nova

imported post

IMO it shouldn't be a requrement, but an option.

richarcm

imported post

After all the BS I had to put up with driving to the FFX courthouse, parking, walking from the garage to the courthouse, making it through the metal detector, walking up two floors, waiting in line and providing my paperwork, then doing the reverse all while paying $2/hour (who's there for only an hour?) for parking and driving all the way back home.......I'll provide the SASE.

I understand the reason for giving it grief but in THIS sense I feel like it is the state that is giving us the short end of the stick by not having the SASE as a requirement. I think that FFX is actually going above and beyond. I don't like FFX REQUIRING me provide SASE but it DOES make things more convenient. I don't mind losing that battle at the end of the day.

sidestreet

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
sidestreet wrote:
As for me, the SASE was noproblem. Not sure if that was the point you were making Proshooter, but thought I would add my $0.02.
My point was that Clerk's Offices all over Va. are asking for things outside of the Code...that can lead to an endless list of problems.
Yep, you're right, it can lead to an endless list of problems. WhenI first applied, I probably would have done just about anything they said to get my CHP. It was important for the type of work I was doing, andit was also before OCDO existed, before I had heard of VCDL, or packing.org, where they helped open my eyes and started "getting busy" with gun rights. However, as I stated before, whenever it means thatI don't have to make an extra trip, go anywhere near a court, or interact with government personnel or law enforcement,I will gladly produce a SASE with an extra postage stamp to boot!!!

zoom6zoom

imported post

When I got mine PWC asked for a SASE. I didn't have an envelope, so the clerk gave me one... and didn't charge me for the stamp. She said they mail them because that way they are sure they get to the right person. That didn't make sense to me... anyone could get my mail, but picking it up in person would be more secure.

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
...She said they mail them because that way they are sure they get to the right person. That didn't make sense to me... anyone could get my mail, but picking it up in person would be more secure.
Maybe she meant that by the applicant addressing the envelope, the clerk is assured that the clerks office doesn't mess up the address and send the CHP to the wrong place.

I agree that picking them up at the courthouse is more secure.

ETA: verbs, they make a sentence complete and more understandable.