Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do you carry that thing in my house?

Post imported post

Nope. I read the news.

Shontel Lee Early, 30, and Wesley Oran Fenstermacher, 29, were shot and killed by a 23-year-old UA student early this morning in an attempted home invasion near the intersection of North Tyndall Avenue and East Adams Street.

"At about 12:38 this morning (the student) told the 911 dispatcher that two unknown men broke into his home and that he shot both of them," said Sgt. Fabian Pacheco, public information officer for the Tucson Police Department.

According to Pacheco, the victim was at home and heard a knock at the door. The victim, who is a gun owner, retrieved a weapon and proceeded to open the door.

An unknown man asked the victim if another individual was home. The victim said no such person lived at the address. Directly behind the first man was a second man. This person was wearing a bandana that covered his face and was armed with a handgun. At this point the victim attempted to close the door and retreat into the house. The two suspects forced their way into his residence, and the victim shot and killed them both.

The victim has been released and has not been charged with anything as of press time.
    Good man. Dead criminals don't re-offend.

Post imported post

Good shootin'
    That's a crime stopper

Post imported post

Sounds to me like one of those incidents that only happens to 'other' people. No reason for ME to walk around answering the door with a firearm.

If only it were so rosy.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

If I do not expect anyone to visit my house I answer my door with my gun in hand but out of sight. At midnight I would for-sure have a gun in my hand.

Post imported post

I always answer the door with a sidearm in my hand but out of sight behind the door if I don't know the person.

Post imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:
    If I do not expect anyone to visit my house I answer my door with my gun in hand but out of sight. At midnight I would for-sure have a gun in my hand.
    Yep, necessary living inLakewood.

When my wife and I first moved to Lakewood we heard gunfire quite often. That was before it was a city. What my neighbors deal with now is theft, notB+E but more theft of opportunity.

Post imported post

The victim did a good job. I'm glad the article referred to his as a victim as well. I've seen worse reporting in these types of cases. Two less scumballs on the earth.

Post imported post

I wouldn't have opened the door in the first place, but after that bad decision was made, at least he was armed to deal with the problem.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Hammer wrote:
    Good shootin'
    That's a crime stopper
    If the victim was a crime stopper that makes the other two bullet stoppers.

Post imported post

tricityguy wrote:
    ... the victim was at home and heard a knock at the door. The victim, who is a gun owner, retrieved a weapon and proceeded to open the door.
    The victim has been released and has not been charged with anything as of press time.
    OMG. The news is actually calling the correct party "the victim"? I may faint!

Post imported post

John Hardin wrote:
    tricityguy wrote:
    ... the victim was at home and heard a knock at the door. The victim, who is a gun owner, retrieved a weapon and proceeded to open the door.
    OMG. The news is actually calling the correct party "the victim"? I may faint!
    I had to re read this a couple of times cause I kept on getting confused... I read so fast sometimes that I skip words (that's what happens when you read 900 page books in 4 days) so I thought they shot themselves lol.... then after i fought myself to slow read it I was like OMG they didn't shoot themselves lol...

Post imported post

And here I was thinking I was a paranoid person for answer the door with a gun if I'm not expecting anyone, either!

Post imported post

G27 wrote:
    And here I was thinking I was a paranoid person for answer the door with a gun if I'm not expecting anyone, either!
    My wife used to tell me that I am paranoid, especially when we were both home and not expecting anyone and we get a knock on the door... Had her read this story, and now she understands...

Post imported post

Unfortunately, the readers who are already anti have ways of "reasoning" around the story and putting distance between it and their own circumstances.

"I don't live in THAT kind of neighborhood."
    "The resident is probably a drug dealer."
    "I wouldn't answer the door at that hour."

Antis generally aren't convinced unless it happens right there, in their own neighborhood. Even then, there aren't any guarantees they'll experience an epiphany.

This is the sad reality I have to face with my girlfriend. She's very much stuck on the idea of "that sort of thing doesn't happen out here." The best I've been able to do is point out that one reason why rural areas have a much lower home invasion rate is because it's widely known that rural residents are typically armed; not because there's anything "magical" about the real estate.

Post imported post

This is the sad reality I have to face with my girlfriend.
    Don't marry her. A girlfriend is all fine and dandy but a wife will become possessive of her beliefs, won't see why you need "those things", won't want "our money" being spent on them and may not want them in "our house." It could get ugly.

Post imported post

tricityguy wrote:
    This is the sad reality I have to face with my girlfriend.
    Don't marry her. A girlfriend is all fine and dandy but a wife will become possessive of her beliefs, won't see why you need "those things", won't want "our money" being spent on them and may not want them in "our house." It could get ugly.
    My mom and dad have been married for over 25 years... My dad has a gun collection... My mom hates guns... they have never once voted the same... however they have been happily married for 25 years... I think someone is being a little harsh :P

Post imported post

Ask them if they've really been "happily" married the entire time. Tell them you want the real truth, no lies, has it always been peaches and roses? Marriage is terribly hard work and nobody can honestly say they've been truly happy the entire time. Every marriage is full of strife and second guesses and what-ifs. The only way a pro-gun/anti-gun marriage works is if the husband (usually the pro-gun party) has a solid backbone and is a real man as opposed to a "Yes, dear" boy, and if the wife (usually the anti-gun party) is respectful of her husband's leadership as opposed to demanding and naggy.

It sounds like your folks have an understanding, which is great, but that didn't happen overnight unless they are both truly unique and special people (and they may well be - there are always exceptions).

Post imported post

tricityguy wrote:
    Ask them if they've really been "happily" married the entire time. Tell them you want the real truth, no lies, has it always been peaches and roses? Marriage is terribly hard work and nobody can honestly say they've been truly happy the entire time. Every marriage is full of strife and second guesses and what-ifs. The only way a pro-gun/anti-gun marriage works is if the husband (usually the pro-gun party) has a solid backbone and is a real man as opposed to a "Yes, dear" boy, and if the wife (usually the anti-gun party) is respectful of her husband's leadership as opposed to demanding and naggy.

It sounds like your folks have an understanding, which is great, but that didn't happen overnight unless they are both truly unique and special people (and they may well be - there are always exceptions).
    I have to agree. In any "GOOD" marriage there are always ups and downs, good and bad times, etc. If there are never any disagreements, arguments or fights, then one of the partners is dominating the other and it is not a "GOOD" anything. As time goes on in a marriage the people change and there are adjustments to be made, which will be difficult. Any "GOOD" marriage means both husband and wife work at it, it doesn't just happen.

Post imported post

yea sure they've had "issues" i know that marriage takes work and all that, but I was just countering your argument (which was as much over exaggerated) a mine :P... Guns don't break relationships up... people do

Post imported post

shakul wrote:
    yea sure they've had "issues" i know that marriage takes work and all that, but I was just countering your argument (which was as much over exaggerated) a mine :P... Guns don't break relationships up... people do
    And it is rarely just one of them too.

Post imported post

Is this now a marraige counseling thread, or is it about home invasions?

Post imported post

Marriage IS home invasion! :what:

Post imported post

I wasn't intending to start anything with my post, I was just chiming in on the woes of having a significant other who doesn't get it.

My remark also left out an awful lot of my circumstances. In principle, I have to agree with Tricity's advice: don't marry someone who opposes you on issues which you find fundamental (like gun ownership, religious persuasion, or whether the toilet paper should drape OVER the roll or behind it). There are marriages that have gone well despite having some of these differences, but why make things harder than they need to be, especially when you know up front?

I've invested seven years in this woman, and we're both old enough that walking out and starting over is not a luxury we can afford. I will say that, after her initially unpleasant reaction, it's become a don't ask don't tell situation. She knows I have it, she knows I wear it; we just don't talk about it.

I've learned long ago that while women can be demanding, they will NEVER respect a man who actually caves in on everything. In other words, if you do what she wants then she won't want you. The balance, of course, is that you must choose your battles wisely. It forces you to consider what you're REALLY serious about; which, in the end, is probably a good thing for you to do.

[/hijack] We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread already in progress...

Post imported post

...and just cuz I feel like chiming in with a re-hijack...

In relation to what 3/325 said, if a girl is anti-gun or not tolerant of my collecting them, that's a deal-breaker right off the bat. On the other hand, a girl that is not only pro-gun, but also shoots/carries gets bonus points on the attraction index.

Honestly, if I was given an ultimatum from a girlfriend of "Either the guns go or I go...," then I'd be living the bachelor life.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

Marriage IS home invasion!
    Hahahhahaha!!

Tomahawk, it's OK. Conversations drift. It's no problem.

She knows I have it, she knows I wear it; we just don't talk about it.
    That's an entirely workable solution.

Honestly, if I was given an ultimatum
    If I were given any ultimatum, I'd call her bluff. In fact, I have been given them, and I have called her on them every time. I'm of the opinion that anyone who would use the threat of divorce to enforce their will on another is not somebody I want to spend my time with, regardless of the circumstances. So, my response is, "Well, you've got to do what you've got to do. Sorry it didn't work out." She can say, "I can't believe you're choosing x over me," but that's a red herring. It isn't about choosing one or the other. The point is, I shouldn't have been forced to make the choice in the first place. By demanding I choose, she's turned against me and thus made the choice for me.

That doesn't mean there can't be give and take. My wife doesn't like alcohol, so I go out of my way to not drink in front of her. That's not hiding it - she knows darn well what I'm doing - it's simply being respectful of her feelings. She'd rather I didn't drink at all, but I don't think one or two beers a week is a problem and, quite frankly, it's my body and I'll do with it what I please.

Thankfully, the tides are turning in my wife's response to guns. She used to hate my guns, but a few weeks ago she went shooting with me. Now she wants to learn more. Earlier this week I showed her how to use my home defense shotgun and she didn't recoil in fear like the last time I tried to teach her. I've put 12 years worth of time and effort in this one and, finally, progress is being made.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast