• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do you carry that thing in my house?

tricityguy

imported post

Nope. I read the news.

Shontel Lee Early, 30, and Wesley Oran Fenstermacher, 29, were shot and killed by a 23-year-old UA student early this morning in an attempted home invasion near the intersection of North Tyndall Avenue and East Adams Street.

"At about 12:38 this morning (the student) told the 911 dispatcher that two unknown men broke into his home and that he shot both of them," said Sgt. Fabian Pacheco, public information officer for the Tucson Police Department.

According to Pacheco, the victim was at home and heard a knock at the door. The victim, who is a gun owner, retrieved a weapon and proceeded to open the door.

An unknown man asked the victim if another individual was home. The victim said no such person lived at the address. Directly behind the first man was a second man. This person was wearing a bandana that covered his face and was armed with a handgun. At this point the victim attempted to close the door and retreat into the house. The two suspects forced their way into his residence, and the victim shot and killed them both.

The victim has been released and has not been charged with anything as of press time.

Good man. Dead criminals don't re-offend.

aktion

imported post

Sounds to me like one of those incidents that only happens to 'other' people. No reason for ME to walk around answering the door with a firearm.

If only it were so rosy.

Nosrac

imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:
If I do not expect anyone to visit my house I answer my door with my gun in hand but out of sight. At midnight I would for-sure have a gun in my hand.

Yep, necessary living inLakewood.

When my wife and I first moved to Lakewood we heard gunfire quite often. That was before it was a city. What my neighbors deal with now is theft, notB+E but more theft of opportunity.

njeske

imported post

The victim did a good job. I'm glad the article referred to his as a victim as well. I've seen worse reporting in these types of cases. Two less scumballs on the earth.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I wouldn't have opened the door in the first place, but after that bad decision was made, at least he was armed to deal with the problem.

John Hardin

imported post

tricityguy wrote:
... the victim was at home and heard a knock at the door. The victim, who is a gun owner, retrieved a weapon and proceeded to open the door.
The victim has been released and has not been charged with anything as of press time.
OMG. The news is actually calling the correct party "the victim"? I may faint!

shakul

imported post

John Hardin wrote:
tricityguy wrote:
... the victim was at home and heard a knock at the door. The victim, who is a gun owner, retrieved a weapon and proceeded to open the door.
OMG. The news is actually calling the correct party "the victim"? I may faint!

I had to re read this a couple of times cause I kept on getting confused... I read so fast sometimes that I skip words (that's what happens when you read 900 page books in 4 days) so I thought they shot themselves lol.... then after i fought myself to slow read it I was like OMG they didn't shoot themselves lol...

MadHatter66

imported post

G27 wrote:
And here I was thinking I was a paranoid person for answer the door with a gun if I'm not expecting anyone, either!
My wife used to tell me that I am paranoid, especially when we were both home and not expecting anyone and we get a knock on the door... Had her read this story, and now she understands...

3/325

imported post

Unfortunately, the readers who are already anti have ways of "reasoning" around the story and putting distance between it and their own circumstances.

"I don't live in THAT kind of neighborhood."
"The resident is probably a drug dealer."
"I wouldn't answer the door at that hour."

Antis generally aren't convinced unless it happens right there, in their own neighborhood. Even then, there aren't any guarantees they'll experience an epiphany.

This is the sad reality I have to face with my girlfriend. She's very much stuck on the idea of "that sort of thing doesn't happen out here." The best I've been able to do is point out that one reason why rural areas have a much lower home invasion rate is because it's widely known that rural residents are typically armed; not because there's anything "magical" about the real estate.

tricityguy

imported post

This is the sad reality I have to face with my girlfriend.
Don't marry her. A girlfriend is all fine and dandy but a wife will become possessive of her beliefs, won't see why you need "those things", won't want "our money" being spent on them and may not want them in "our house." It could get ugly.

shakul

imported post

tricityguy wrote:
This is the sad reality I have to face with my girlfriend.
Don't marry her. A girlfriend is all fine and dandy but a wife will become possessive of her beliefs, won't see why you need "those things", won't want "our money" being spent on them and may not want them in "our house." It could get ugly.
My mom and dad have been married for over 25 years... My dad has a gun collection... My mom hates guns... they have never once voted the same... however they have been happily married for 25 years... I think someone is being a little harsh :p

tricityguy

imported post

Ask them if they've really been "happily" married the entire time. Tell them you want the real truth, no lies, has it always been peaches and roses? Marriage is terribly hard work and nobody can honestly say they've been truly happy the entire time. Every marriage is full of strife and second guesses and what-ifs. The only way a pro-gun/anti-gun marriage works is if the husband (usually the pro-gun party) has a solid backbone and is a real man as opposed to a "Yes, dear" boy, and if the wife (usually the anti-gun party) is respectful of her husband's leadership as opposed to demanding and naggy.

It sounds like your folks have an understanding, which is great, but that didn't happen overnight unless they are both truly unique and special people (and they may well be - there are always exceptions).

Bear 45/70

imported post

tricityguy wrote:
Ask them if they've really been "happily" married the entire time. Tell them you want the real truth, no lies, has it always been peaches and roses? Marriage is terribly hard work and nobody can honestly say they've been truly happy the entire time. Every marriage is full of strife and second guesses and what-ifs. The only way a pro-gun/anti-gun marriage works is if the husband (usually the pro-gun party) has a solid backbone and is a real man as opposed to a "Yes, dear" boy, and if the wife (usually the anti-gun party) is respectful of her husband's leadership as opposed to demanding and naggy.

It sounds like your folks have an understanding, which is great, but that didn't happen overnight unless they are both truly unique and special people (and they may well be - there are always exceptions).
I have to agree. In any "GOOD" marriage there are always ups and downs, good and bad times, etc. If there are never any disagreements, arguments or fights, then one of the partners is dominating the other and it is not a "GOOD" anything. As time goes on in a marriage the people change and there are adjustments to be made, which will be difficult. Any "GOOD" marriage means both husband and wife work at it, it doesn't just happen.

shakul

imported post

yea sure they've had "issues" i know that marriage takes work and all that, but I was just countering your argument (which was as much over exaggerated) a mine :p... Guns don't break relationships up... people do :D

Bear 45/70

imported post

shakul wrote:
yea sure they've had "issues" i know that marriage takes work and all that, but I was just countering your argument (which was as much over exaggerated) a mine :p... Guns don't break relationships up... people do :D
And it is rarely just one of them too.