• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Friend walked away from me in Cabelas while OC

GreenDrake

imported post

So a friend and I were casually checking out some Cabelas gear when I stopped to try on a jacket. I took my vest off and my friend says "you have a pistol on?" (owb Fist K2 high ride with my Springfield XDSC .40 in it) and walks briskly away to another department.

I caught up with him on the way out and said nothing. We were in the car and he says "that was totally illegal man"...I found this disconcerting seeing as how he is a gun owner a hunter and outdoorsman and didn't know the laws on carry. Good thing was, he never knew I carried every day so I guess it caught him by surprise. I explained how if you carry daily, OC or CC it becomes natural to the carrier, a part of your daily dress like wearing a belt and people need not be afraid of the scary black weapon, and understand there are more sheepdogs among us.

I took the time to encourage him to be prepared, even if we live in paradise, bad things happen and not to be paranoid but I care about my family enough to defend them with deadly force if I have to.

Marco

imported post

GreenDrake wrote:
I took the time to encourage him to be prepared, even if we live in paradise, bad things happen and not to be paranoid but I care about my family enough to defend them with deadly force if I have to.
"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that that is where he is."
James Thurber

Glad you educated your friend.
Hope this doesn't strain your friendship.

JBURGII

imported post

"Dude, wheres my gun?"

I'm sure a few of my friends who I have not had time to educate would react in a manner like that as well.

I have had many discussions with average folks who have no clue it is legal to carry open. A lot of people are sure you have to have a permit as well as specific reason to carry, such as being a security guard or something similar. Heck I had that thought myself just a few years ago. Ahh.. back when I was an ignorant good little civilian.

(sheeple) J

3/325

imported post

GreenDrake wrote:
...I found this disconcerting seeing as how he is a gun owner a hunter and outdoorsman and didn't know the laws on carry.
It's unfortunate but there are plenty of gun owners who haven't bothered to familiarize themselves with the legalities of ownership. Some people think that discussing gun laws with gun owners is like preaching to the choir. Well, sometimes not everybody in the choir has heard the gospel.

SQLtables

imported post

SIGguy229 wrote:
wow..what a friend.  I guess he's got YOUR back.  What an immature response--just to walk away? 

Not immature, just uninformed. He's since been educated.

If you saw a friend stealing from Cabela's, would you stick around and increase the chances "involvement"?

SIGguy229

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
SIGguy229 wrote:
wow..what a friend. I guess he's got YOUR back. What an immature response--just to walk away?

If you saw a friend stealing from Cabela's, would you stick around and increase the chances "involvement"?
Uhhh....wha...?

How is open carrying anyway remotely equivalent to stealing? Stealing is a crime...

Try finding another analogy.

How has your friend taken to the new education.

SQLtables

imported post

SIGguy229 wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
SIGguy229 wrote:
wow..what a friend.  I guess he's got YOUR back.  What an immature response--just to walk away? 

Uhhh....wha...?

How is open carrying anyway remotely equivalent to stealing?  Stealing is a crime...

A different analogy? His friend THOUGHT OC was a crime. There is nothing immature about not knowing something.

FogRider

imported post

SIGguy229 wrote:
SQLtables wrote:

Uhhh....wha...?

How is open carrying anyway remotely equivalent to stealing? Stealing is a crime...

Ok, say you saw your buddy putting what appears to be merchandise in his pocket, not knowing he brought it into the store? You are seeing him doing something that you think is illegal (shoplifting), not knowing that he was not.

That's about as close as you are going to get.

SQLtables

imported post

FogRider wrote:
SIGguy229 wrote:
SQLtables wrote:

Uhhh....wha...?

How is open carrying anyway remotely equivalent to stealing?  Stealing is a crime...

Ok, say you saw your buddy putting what appears to be merchandise in his pocket, not knowing he brought it into the store? You are seeing him doing something that you think is illegal (shoplifting), not knowing that he was not.

That's about as close as you are going to get.

Not bad. That's definitely closer. Thanks.