• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BBQ/OC and target revolver?

essayons

imported post

Greetings all,

I am new to the OC thing and I'm looking to pick up my first wheelgun. I've always been a semi-auto kinda guy, but I'm in the market for a revolver that I can make into a BBQ gun and also use for some target shooting. I like .357's, so I can use .38s to make small groups in paper. Looking for a large, heavy gun, 5+ inch barrel, with adjustable sights. This will be somewhat of a project gun, so grips, etc. aren't terribly important as I'll probably replace them soon anyway. The most important criteria is accuracy. I'm looking for something in the $500-$800 range, and I'll be shopping for used guns once I decide on a model.

I know next to nothing about revolvers so I'm really looking for some advice on brands, models, accuracy, and overall quality.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Marco

imported post

[align=center]

Smith & Wesson 8 Round 357 Rem. Mag/4" Matte Stainless Barrel/Adjustable Sight

Specifications
Item: S&W M627 178014 PRO 357 4 AS 8R MSS

Type
Revolver

Action
Single / Double

Caliber
357 Remington Mag

Barrel Length
4"

Capacity
8 rd

Safety
No Manual Safety

Grips
Rubber

Sights
Interchangeable (Front); Adj. (Rear)

Weight
41.2 oz

Finish
Stainless

52370.jpg

[/align]

essayons

imported post

I guess I forgot to add, I'd like to avoid S&W and Ruger because of their complicity with the Clinton administration and the AWB. I'm not opposed to buying them used, but new is out of the question.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

S&W does not have the same ownership that made the deal with the Clinton administration and the current ownership of S&W has publicly denounced the prior deal, has stated they think the contract is unenforcible and that they will fight it actively in court if the gov't ever tried to enforce it. The only member of upper management that was at S&W during that deal who is still with the company to the best of my knowledge, was one of the people who resigned from S&W in protest over the deal and then was rehired after the new ownership took over.

To punish the current ownership (an American company) and the employees of S&W for the sins of the prior owners (a British company) years after the fact and in the face of current ownership's denouncement of the prior owner's actions to be unfair at best. S&W makes excellent quality revolvers (as attested to by my fully functional, still shoot-it-on-occasion nearly 100 year old S&W revolver in my collection) and I would not at this point hesitate to purchase a new one from them.

essayons

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
S&W does not have the same ownership that made the deal with the Clinton administration and the current ownership of S&W has publicly denounced the prior deal, has stated they think the contract is unenforcible and that they will fight it actively in court if the gov't ever tried to enforce it. The only member of upper management that was at S&W during that deal who is still with the company to the best of my knowledge, was one of the people who resigned from S&W in protest over the deal and then was rehired after the new ownership took over.

To punish the current ownership (an American company) and the employees of S&W for the sins of the prior owners (a British company) years after the fact and in the face of current ownership's denouncement of the prior owner's actions to be unfair at best. S&W makes excellent quality revolvers (as attested to by my fully functional, still shoot-it-on-occasion nearly 100 year old S&W revolver in my collection) and I would not at this point hesitate to purchase a new one from them.
I was unaware of that... thanks for educating me. I had to dig a bit just to check into what you said. S&W should put some money into publicizing that information, it would probably give them a big boost, as I am not the only one who is (was) still boycotting S&W based on old (mis)information.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

essayons wrote:
deepdiver wrote:

I was unaware of that... thanks for educating me. I had to dig a bit just to check into what you said. S&W should put some money into publicizing that information, it would probably give them a big boost, as I am not the only one who is (was) still boycotting S&W based on old (mis)information.
No problem. That's why we are here, to learn and share information. S&W soon after the purchase did do some publicity about their positions in opposition to the prior ownership even publishing a few open letters but it didn't get the grass roots distribution that the original deal get which is unfortunate for S&W. It seems that people much prefer outrage to vindication.

EMSIG

imported post

I know William B. Ruger sold us out years ago but he is dead. I have three Rugers I have a SP101 327, GP100 357, and Mark II 22/45, I think they make the best gun out there. I could understand if they still were selling us out.

Dom

imported post

I have a S&W 686 4" I just love more than any large caliber handgun for comfort and accuracy. The S&W trigger is a big part of it.

essayons

imported post

Thanks for the replies...

I've decided on a S&W 686 6-inch, and found one used for just under $500 w/ holster and a few accessories. Is this a reasonable price?

EMSIG

imported post

I just bought a used Ruger GP100, 4 in, it was in excellent cond. I paid $375, so in comp to new I would say thats not a bad price for a Smith. I love a wheel gun, its my primary carry, I carry two speed loaders on my belt as well enjoy.:celebrate