• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man shot during home invasion

xd.40

imported post

http://www.insidenova.com/isn/news/crime/article/man_shot_during_home_invasion/23079/

By KEITH WALKER

Published: October 20, 2008

Police said a man shot in the head during a home invasion in Dumfries last week walked to a nearby fire station for help.

Detectives believe that the man who was shot was one of three armed men who forced their way into a town house in the 2900 block of Buell Court at about 8:25 p.m. Thursday, said Erika Hernandez, Prince William police spokeswoman, in a release Monday.

The victims, a man and a woman who were in the house at the time of the intrusion, called police and reported a burglary in progress.

The three gunmen forced the man and the woman to the third level of the town house where the shooting occurred, Hernandez said.

Police did not release details of the how the shooting unfolded.

The gunmen, including the one who was shot in the head, jumped from the third floor window to escape.

A police canine unit found another of the men hiding a short distance away, with an injured leg. Police could not find the third man, Hernandez said.

The man who was shot was later flown to an area hospital with non life-threatening injuries, Hernandez said.

Police said the identities of the gunmen are “being developed.” No arrests had been made by Monday.

The victims were not injured, Hernandez said.

Keith Walker can be reached at 703-369-6751.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

That is crazy! The homeowner had some good aim, but dang! How the heck do you put a bullet in their head and they live? They did jump 3 stories though hahahaha:lol: I'm glad the homeowner was armed and was able to protect himself and his wife:celebrate

darthmord

imported post

Well given the shot missed all the vital spots, one could wager a guess the vital spots weren't all that big to begin with. I suppose that was rather obvious as they chose to go after an armed homeowner.

I am more impressed with the three story jump. Doing that sort of idiocy opens you up to broken bones and other fun injuries. But I guess that relates back to my previous paragraph... the vital spots must not have been that big.

I have to wonder sometimes how do people like thatremember to breath. I mean the level of stupid one has to achieve to do some of the things that are reported in the news is amazing.

xd.40

imported post

I thought it was interesting that the article doesn't say whether the home owner had a weapon, or if he took the intruder's weapon and used it on them.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm hoping the police eventually do release details of how the shooting unfolded. Are they withholding the info because there is still one guy on the loose? Otherwise why not give the info to the media?

Xeni

imported post

I'm sure that the two guys that were captured will roll on the 3rd. So, I don't think the details are not being released for that reason.

My guess is that the homeowner took control of one of the suspects weapons and used it on him. I doubt the guy with the head wound took a direct shot to his head. It would make sense in a struggle that he was hit with a richochet that bounced off his skull.

But, would be nice to see some details.

My count, thats the 2nd defensive use of a firearm inthree weeks in Dumfries. And, the comments on that article asking for more police protection are precious. :lol:

xd.40

imported post

Yeah, the comments are pretty funny. I mean, they have the Dumfries police, PWC police, and State police. How much more do they want?

richarcm

imported post

xd.40 wrote:
Yeah, the comments are pretty funny. I mean, they have the Dumfries police, PWC police, and State police. How much more do they want?
Plus....it's DUMFRIES!!! LOL

No offense but I lived in Woodbridge. If you forget to pay attention you can drive right through Dumfries and not notice.

nitrovic

imported post

xd.40 wrote:
Yeah, the comments are pretty funny.  I mean, they have the Dumfries police, PWC police, and State police.  How much more do they want?

State Police rarely goes in that area, they patrol the interstate. Dumfries has primary jurisdiction. They usually only have one to two units on duty. Sometimes they have none. PWCPD only has a handful for the county area of Dumfries (independent hill all the way to the potomac and up to cardinal drive). There really aren't that many officers for that area.

xd.40

imported post

Oh, I know. When I was living off 4 Year Trail, there was a fight happening in the parking lot, so we called the police. Well, after 5 minutes of no response, we called back after we saw knives coming out. Within 30 seconds, we had 14 cars there. PWCPD, Dumfries, and a state trooper (who must have been in the area). 2 of the cars were K-9 units. Quite a response if you ask me. :lol:

nitrovic

imported post

xd.40 wrote:
Oh, I know. When I was living off 4 Year Trail, there was a fight happening in the parking lot, so we called the police. Well, after 5 minutes of no response, we called back after we saw knives coming out. Within 30 seconds, we had 14 cars there. PWCPD, Dumfries, and a state trooper (who must have been in the area). 2 of the cars were K-9 units. Quite a response if you ask me. :lol:
Anytime a school is involved with a "fight with weapons" type call they will send everybody and their mother. The state police substation is off of 234 so they probably came down. As a rule they stick to the interstate.