Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Ruger 22/45

  1. #1
    Regular Member gsx1138's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bremerton, Washington, United States
    Posts
    884

    Post imported post

    Ok, so I've taken this little gun to the range a couple of times. I figure it's time to take it apart for a good cleaning. The manual is no help at all. So I go on youtube and there's actual decent videos on how to take this thing down. I finally get the thing torn apart, clean it (it looks sexy again) and put it back together. It won't fire. Pull the trigger and I get nothing. Take it apart again, make sure all the parts are in the right place, including the little dangler, put it back together. Pull the trigger and nothing.

    Besides wanting to throw the thing through the wall because some ******* thought it would be great to make the pistol more complicated than it needs to be I don't know what to do. I'm spoiled with my XD. I can field strip that thing and put it back together with my eyes closed.

    Anyone with experience on these matters?

    I noticed the trigger isn't engaging anything internally.
    "Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world." ~ Musashi

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , Washington, USA
    Posts
    16

    Post imported post

    I have a 22/45 also, it is a right pain to get back together.

    Based on my mistakes I would say you must not have the "dangler" in the right place. You have to rotate the gun until you hear the dangler fall into position, and then assemble the rest of it in that position. before righting it.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Western, Washington, USA
    Posts
    86

    Post imported post

    gsx1138 wrote:
    ....

    I finally get the thing torn apart, clean it (it looks sexy again) and put it back together. It won't fire. Pull the trigger and I get nothing. Take it apart again, make sure all the parts are in the right place, including the little dangler, put it back together. Pull the trigger and nothing.

    .....

    I noticed the trigger isn't engaging anything internally.

    I hate to ask this, but did you put a magazine in it? the third generation need the magazine in to allow the hammer to drop, well unless you remove those parts like i did so that I can shoot single shots without the magazine in the gun.

  4. #4
    Regular Member gsx1138's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bremerton, Washington, United States
    Posts
    884

    Post imported post

    FE427TP wrote:
    gsx1138 wrote:
    ....

    I finally get the thing torn apart, clean it (it looks sexy again) and put it back together. It won't fire. Pull the trigger and I get nothing. Take it apart again, make sure all the parts are in the right place, including the little dangler, put it back together. Pull the trigger and nothing.

    .....

    I noticed the trigger isn't engaging anything internally.

    I hate to ask this, but did you put a magazine in it? the third generation need the magazine in to allow the hammer to drop, well unless you remove those parts like i did so that I can shoot single shots without the magazine in the gun.



    I did. I do notice that when I put the magazine in the slide release button moves up halfway. And I can't pull the slide back all the way.



    I'll try the dangly position. Damn, that's going to be a pain in the ass.

    "Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world." ~ Musashi

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974

    Post imported post

    I find that the easiest solution is to buy Sig Sauer and Springfield Armory handguns.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Western, Washington, USA
    Posts
    86

    Post imported post

    ok, sounds like the connecting rod from the hammer to the spring that drives the hammer isn't sitting in it's cup right, what i do on my Mk3 Hunter (and here's where you need the mag in the gun if you haven't removed that disconnect) is squeeze the trigger and push the hammer go forward with the tip of a screwdriver or toothpick/Q-tip. Then tilt the barrel straight down and push the pin on the part that goes into the grip up through the bolt and out the top of the gun. Then close the part that goes in the grip most of the way, the bottom being just open enough to look up into the back of the gun then tilt the barrel upward at about a 60-70 degree angle with the grip pointing down so I can see the connecting rod dangle back toward the cup in the mainspring and with the barrel pointing up and the hammer already forward still close it up and cock it to verify function. see if that helps in any way, did you disassemble the trigger parts? the manual doesn't reccomend it

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Richland, WA, ,
    Posts
    55

    Post imported post

    joe456 wrote:
    I have a 22/45 also, it is a right pain to get back together.

    Based on my mistakes I would say you must not have the "dangler" in the right place. You have to rotate the gun until you hear the dangler fall into position, and then assemble the rest of it in that position. before righting it.
    Amen. I had mine five years before I could do it without thinking about it.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wa, ,
    Posts
    2,769

    Post imported post

    Just turn the damn thing upside down and the "dangler" will slip right into place. You can almost do it blindfolded.



  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wa, ,
    Posts
    2,769

    Post imported post

    Just turn the damn thing upside down and the "dangler" will slip right into place. You can almost do it blindfolded.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •