• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger 22/45

gsx1138

imported post

Ok, so I've taken this little gun to the range a couple of times. I figure it's time to take it apart for a good cleaning. The manual is no help at all. So I go on youtube and there's actual decent videos on how to take this thing down. I finally get the thing torn apart, clean it (it looks sexy again) and put it back together. It won't fire. Pull the trigger and I get nothing. Take it apart again, make sure all the parts are in the right place, including the little dangler, put it back together. Pull the trigger and nothing.

Besides wanting to throw the thing through the wall because some asshole thought it would be great to make the pistol more complicated than it needs to be I don't know what to do. I'm spoiled with my XD. I can field strip that thing and put it back together with my eyes closed.

Anyone with experience on these matters?

I noticed the trigger isn't engaging anything internally.

joe456

imported post

I have a 22/45 also, it is a right pain to get back together.

Based on my mistakes I would say you must not have the "dangler" in the right place. You have to rotate the gun until you hear the dangler fall into position, and then assemble the rest of it in that position. before righting it.

FE427TP

imported post

gsx1138 wrote:

I finally get the thing torn apart, clean it (it looks sexy again) and put it back together. It won't fire. Pull the trigger and I get nothing. Take it apart again, make sure all the parts are in the right place, including the little dangler, put it back together. Pull the trigger and nothing.

I hate to ask this, but did you put a magazine in it? the third generation need the magazine in to allow the hammer to drop, well unless you remove those parts like i did so that I can shoot single shots without the magazine in the gun.

gsx1138

imported post

FE427TP wrote:
gsx1138 wrote:

I finally get the thing torn apart, clean it (it looks sexy again) and put it back together. It won't fire. Pull the trigger and I get nothing. Take it apart again, make sure all the parts are in the right place, including the little dangler, put it back together. Pull the trigger and nothing.

I hate to ask this, but did you put a magazine in it? the third generation need the magazine in to allow the hammer to drop, well unless you remove those parts like i did so that I can shoot single shots without the magazine in the gun.

I did. I do notice that when I put the magazine in the slide release button moves up halfway. And I can't pull the slide back all the way.

I'll try the dangly position. Damn, that's going to be a pain in the ass.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I find that the easiest solution is to buy Sig Sauer and Springfield Armory handguns.
1053.gif

FE427TP

imported post

ok, sounds like the connecting rod from the hammer to the spring that drives the hammer isn't sitting in it's cup right, what i do on my Mk3 Hunter (and here's where you need the mag in the gun if you haven't removed that disconnect) is squeeze the trigger and push the hammer go forward with the tip of a screwdriver or toothpick/Q-tip. Then tilt the barrel straight down and push the pin on the part that goes into the grip up through the bolt and out the top of the gun. Then close the part that goes in the grip most of the way, the bottom being just open enough to look up into the back of the gun then tilt the barrel upward at about a 60-70 degree angle with the grip pointing down so I can see the connecting rod dangle back toward the cup in the mainspring and with the barrel pointing up and the hammer already forward still close it up and cock it to verify function. see if that helps in any way, did you disassemble the trigger parts? the manual doesn't reccomend it ;)

CaptainAttila

imported post

joe456 wrote:
I have a 22/45 also, it is a right pain to get back together.

Based on my mistakes I would say you must not have the "dangler" in the right place. You have to rotate the gun until you hear the dangler fall into position, and then assemble the rest of it in that position. before righting it.

Amen. I had mine five years before I could do it without thinking about it.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Just turn the damn thing upside down and the "dangler" will slip right into place. You can almost do it blindfolded.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Just turn the damn thing upside down and the "dangler" will slip right into place. You can almost do it blindfolded.