• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHP: Reciprocity with Alabama and Georgia?

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

I was surprised that we got Mississippi. Alabama and Georgia may be a while. You could always get a Utah permit to cover you in the meantime.

utahmapdr1.gif

TexasNative

imported post

Or NH. No additional training needed, and only $20. Utah is pretty steep, especially considering you've gotta pay ProShooter or another trainer a goodly amount of money in addition to the considerable cost of the permit itself.

And if you're not spending time in the Western US, the additional states you get with Utah over NH are pointless.

So save your bucks and get a NH permit.

ProShooter

imported post

I hadnt done this before, but here's New Hampshire vs. Utah maps. Pretty cool comparison. I have a NH permit as well but I still think that Utah is a good deal. Its kind of funny, but this weekend I had someone tell me that they wanted the Utah permit specifically so that they could carry in Las Vegas.

newhampshiremapjd2.gif
utahmapdr1.gif

TexasNative

imported post

Well, it's not just Utah vs. NH, it's Utah + Virginia vs NH + Virginia.

In that case, Delaware is the only nearby state that Utah gets you that NH doesn't. And out west, I believe there are only three additional states (MN, WA and NV).

I just mention it because there are likely some folks who aren't bothered about those four specific states, and would prefer the low cost and no additional training necessary for NH.

SoldierMedic

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

cool, yeah i did the combo maps myself a while back. utah looks like a good bet. i was more interested though if anyone had heard of anything in the works regarding VA reciprocity with AL and GA.

ProShooter

imported post

TexasNative wrote:

In that case, Delaware is the only nearby state that Utah gets you that NH doesn't. And out west, I believe there are only three additional states (MN, WA and NV).

I just mention it because there are likely some folks who aren't bothered about those four specific states, and would prefer the low cost and no additional training necessary for NH.
good point Texas. I guess it just depends on where you're headed!

TFred

imported post

TexasNative wrote:

But don't forget, there are some people who have no intentions of getting a Virginia CHP. That would be me. :) In my case, the Utah decision was a no-brainer.

TFred

darthmord

imported post

I'm a bit concerned about the NH conceal permit. Straight from the following link is this text...

Link: http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/plupr.html

Text: PLEASE NOTE : The State of New Hampshire will only recognize resident concealed handgun licenses from these states. Concealed handgun licenses issued by the State of New Hampshire to out-of-state residents are ONLY valid within the State of New Hampshire.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that mean a concealed permit from NH for a non-resident like myself would only be valid / good in NH and not anywhere else?

I also noted that NH doesn't have reciprocity with VA at this time. :(

sccrref

imported post

I am not a rocket scientist and I have not stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, but I read it the same way you do. If that is in fact the case, I suspect that there are going to be a bunch of Pissed of people.

I did not have to take a seperate class to qualify for the Utah permit asthe instructor who taught the VA CHP class I went to was also a certified Utah instructor.So he did his part on the Utah app if we took it to him at some point after the class.

TexasNative

imported post

darthmord wrote:
PLEASE NOTE : The State of New Hampshire will only recognize resident concealed handgun licenses from these states. Concealed handgun licenses issued by the State of New Hampshire to out-of-state residents are ONLY valid within the State of New Hampshire.
I'm not sure why they'd say such a thing, since they have no authority over what out-of-state permits are recognized by, for instance, Mississippi.

jbobmurph

imported post

It looks like someone made some sketchy edits to the site.

If you read two paragraphs down on the same page, they contemplate (and seemingly approve) the use of a NH permit by a non-NH resident in a 3rd state.

"If you are a New Hampshire Pistol/Revolver License holder traveling to another state and wish to carry a concealed weapon using your New Hampshire license, contact that state directly to confirm their recognition status before carrying concealed weapons there. For example, some states only recognize a license if the person is a resident of the issuing state, or if the person is 21 years of age or older."

Clearly, the law needs to be the ultimate arbiter here. I may or may not have a chance to check later, but I imagine it's easy to find.

jbobmurph

imported post

New Hampshire's relevant section -

Available at -

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xii/159/159-mrg.htm
159:6 License to Carry. –
I. The selectmen of a town or the mayor or chief of police of a city or some full-time police officer designated by them respectively, upon application of any resident of such town or city, or the director of state police, or some person designated by such director, upon application of a nonresident, shall issue a license to such applicant authorizing the applicant to carry a loaded pistol or revolver in this state for not less than 4 years from the date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to the applicant's person or property or has any proper purpose, and that the applicant is a suitable person to be licensed. Hunting, target shooting, or self-defense shall be considered a proper purpose. The license shall be valid for all allowable purposes regardless of the purpose for which it was originally issued. The license shall be in duplicate and shall bear the name, address, description, and signature of the licensee. The original shall be delivered to the licensee and the duplicate shall be preserved by the people issuing the same for 4 years. When required, license renewal shall take place within the month of the fourth anniversary of the license holder's date of birth following the date of issuance. The license shall be issued within 14 days after application, and, if such application is denied, the reason for such denial shall be stated in writing, the original of which such writing shall be delivered to the applicant, and a copy kept in the office of the person to whom the application was made. The fee for licenses issued to residents of the state shall be $10, which fee shall be for the use of the law enforcement department of the town granting said licenses; the fee for licenses granted to out-of-state residents shall be $20, which fee shall be for the use of the state. The director of state police is hereby authorized and directed to prepare forms for the licenses required under this chapter and forms for the application for such licenses and to supply the same to officials of the cities and towns authorized to issue the licenses. No other forms shall be used by officials of cities and towns. The cost of the forms shall be paid out of the fees received from nonresident licenses.
II. No photograph or fingerprint shall be required or used as a basis to grant, deny, or renew a license to carry for a resident or nonresident, unless requested by the applicant.
If I had to guess, whoever made those edits to the website is keying on this line - "shall issue a license to such applicant authorizing the applicant to carry a loaded pistol or revolver in this state".

IANAL (yet - taking the bar in February), but the only distinctions made in that section are the issuing body (state police for non-residents, town/city govt for residents), and the cost ($10 for residents, $20 for non-residents).

I also looked at the section on reciprocity (viewable at the same link), but it doesn't differentiate between permits for residents and non-residents either.

Seems like some state police employee decided to interpret the code for himself - we all know about how that occurs on occasion...