• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying at the beach

Hotshot718

imported post

So, my boy (4 yrs) loves to go to the beach and play in the water while his daddy tries to teach him to body surf. How do you carry when at or going to the beach? I hate leaving my gun in the car but I hate leaving it in my beach bag in the sand while I'm away from it even more. Lately I have taken to fanny pack carry at the theme parks or when I'm not planning on going in the water. Any ideas?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Stainless steel 9mm in nylon tactical thigh holster?

Oh... you'll have to remain in the water... No visible OC in FL as yet. Hmm... perhaps conceal said weapon in inflatable horsie? Nuuhhhhh... don't 'leave it' in any beach bag. Reckon the glove box is the best bet.

Lezchap

imported post

Go to a beach which allows fishing, bring a fishing pole, and make sure you throw a line in the water. I'm not a lawyer, but the law plainly says it's legal:

[size="-1"]CHAPTER 790 [/size]
[size="-1"]WEAPONS AND FIREARMS[/size]
[align=left][size="-1"]790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.[/size][/align]
[align=left][size="-1"]Summary: Illegal without a permit.[/size][/align]​
[align=left][size="-1"]790.053 Open carrying of weapons.[/size][/align]
[align=left][size="-1"]Summary: Illegal where otherwise not allowed by law.[/size][/align]​
[align=left][size="-1"]790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.[/size][/align][align=left][size="-1"](3)LAWFUL USES.--The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:[/size][/align][align=left][size="-1"](h)A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;[/size][/align][align=left][size="-1"](4)CONSTRUCTION.--This act shall be liberally construed to carry out the declaration of policy herein and in favor of the constitutional right to keep and bear arms for lawful purposes. This act is supplemental and additional to existing rights to bear arms now guaranteed by law and decisions of the courts of Florida, and nothing herein shall impair or diminish any of such rights. This act shall supersede any law, ordinance, or regulation in conflict herewith.[/size][/align]

Freeflight

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I hate leaving it in the Beach-bag too. But that's exactly what I do...

I have one of those beach carts and I put a pocket under the carriage that I keep a GLOCK in (the beach is theonly time I take a plastic gun)

I'm close enough to it when zombies or whatever occurs that I can get to it. can't take it surfing...the damn thing chafes.

FreeFlight

"And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms....The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson in a letter to William S. Smith in 1787. Taken from Jefferson, On Democracy 20, S. Padover ed., 1939

Hotshot718

imported post

Lezchap wrote:
Go to a beach which allows fishing, bring a fishing pole, and make sure you throw a line in the water. I'm not a lawyer, but the law plainly says it's legal:

[size="-1"]CHAPTER 790 [/size]
[size="-1"]WEAPONS AND FIREARMS[/size]
[align=left][size="-1"]790.06[/size][size="-1"] License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.[/size][/align]
[align=left][size="-1"]Summary: Illegal without a permit.[/size][/align]​
[align=left][size="-1"]790.053 Open carrying of weapons.[/size][/align]
[align=left][size="-1"]Summary: Illegal where otherwise not allowed by law.[/size][/align]​
[align=left][size="-1"]790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.[/size][/align][align=left][size="-1"](3)LAWFUL USES.--The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:[/size][/align][align=left][size="-1"](h)A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;[/size][/align][align=left][size="-1"](4)CONSTRUCTION.--This act shall be liberally construed to carry out the declaration of policy herein and in favor of the constitutional right to keep and bear arms for lawful purposes. This act is supplemental and additional to existing rights to bear arms now guaranteed by law and decisions of the courts of Florida, and nothing herein shall impair or diminish any of such rights. This act shall supersede any law, ordinance, or regulation in conflict herewith.[/size][/align]
HA! I don't know how many times I've read through the FL Statutes and never thought about applying that! I just might have to try that one day!

rmodel65

imported post

dont you guys know high point are made for the beach :p you can even swim with them since they are disposable :p

ADulay

imported post

Lezchap wrote:

[size=-1]CHAPTER 790 [/size]
[size=-1]WEAPONS AND FIREARMS[/size]

[align=left][size=-1]790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.[/size][/align]

[align=left][size=-1]Summary: Illegal without a permit.[/size][/align]​
[align=left][size=-1]790.053 Open carrying of weapons.[/size][/align]

[align=left][size=-1]Summary: Illegal where otherwise not allowed by law.[/size][/align]​
[align=left][size=-1]790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.[/size][/align]

[align=left][size=-1](3)LAWFUL USES.--The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:[/size][/align]

[align=left][size=-1](h)A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;[/size][/align]

[align=left][size=-1](4)CONSTRUCTION.--This act shall be liberally construed to carry out the declaration of policy herein and in favor of the constitutional right to keep and bear arms for lawful purposes. This act is supplemental and additional to existing rights to bear arms now guaranteed by law and decisions of the courts of Florida, and nothing herein shall impair or diminish any of such rights. This act shall supersede any law, ordinance, or regulation in conflict herewith.[/size][/align]

To chime in here, I also seemed to have glossed over that particular statute about 790.25(h). Very interesting for sure.

Thanks for the pointer.

AD

tracylaud83

imported post

WOW!!!!

We need a lawyer to look at this one, or get someones advise that's smarter than me. But this sounds VERY interesting..............

tracylaud83

imported post

Any public places we could have a Open Carry Camping trip???

Acourding to the prior post, during camping is allowed also..

(have RV, will travel)

Lezchap

imported post

tracylaud83 wrote:
WOW!!!!

We need a lawyer to look at this one, or get someones advise that's smarter than me. But this sounds VERY interesting..............
It's the same law that allows open carry at your own home or business...

It's the same law that allows you to pull your gun out (open carry) at a gun range.

It's the same law that allows military members to open carry in the performance of their duties.

It's the same law that allows police officers to open carry in the performance of their duties.

It's the same law that allows armored car guards to open carry.

Just to name a few....

Just a note: It's legal to drink (alcohol) and fish, and it's legal to fish and carry, but it's not legal to do all 3, under my understanding of the law...and the legality of OC while driving to and from a fishing/hunting/camping trip is a very grey area.

tracylaud83

imported post

Lezchap wrote:
.It's the same law that allows police officers to open carry in the performance of their duties..
LEO's fall under a different rule, and is also governed under the rules of their agency.

Just because someone is LEO, doesn't mean they can OC.

Lezchap

imported post

And thus is the symptom of our convoluted laws. A) says it's illegal unless otherwise authorized. 20 pages later, B) says it's okay for Jane, and 5 pages later C) says it's illegal if she's doing Y or Z...

It's impossible to make sense of...however, this law does state the law making OC illegal doesn't apply to police officers, people hunting, fishing, camping, at a shooting range, etc.

Lezchap

imported post

Hotshot718 wrote:
anyone know the laws concerning fishing licenses? I don't have one, but I'll get one if I have to!
http://myfwc.com/license/ has some info...one nice thing about SW fishing is you don't need a license as long as you're doing it from shore or a structure attached to the shore (docks), as long as it's legal for you to fish from said shore/structure (some bridges, piers, etc don't allow fishing per state and local laws).

Hotshot718

imported post

well, I'm on the space coast so there's plenty of beaches and I know there are quite a few piers along the Indian River, so we shouldn't be lacking for a place to fish. Anyone know where there would be a lot of people, though? I'd like to be able to spread the word about the FL Open Carry Petition and see what kind of reaction we get.

Lezchap

imported post

Yes...plenty of places to fish here...and I'm not worried about the "body count" as I'm going to enjoy fishing, and any positive public education that occurs is merely a pleasent bonus.