Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: CFP in Stanislaus

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sandy, Utah, USA
    Posts
    30

    Post imported post

    Has anyone tried to get a concealed firearm permit in Stanislaus County? My diminutive mother is often home alone and lately there have been a string of home invasions in her area and she's scared off a prowler twice now. I'm really getting concerned about her safety.

    So, after looking at the laws a bit, other than making my head hurt, I'm wondering what's considered suitable justification for getting a CFP in the Stanislaus County? As I understand it, the sheriff can decide to issue one or not.

    Any info?

  2. #2
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    Sadly, our new sherriff is a real A-hole. In a recent meeting with the board of the Madison Society, he clearly stated that he can and will be arbitrary in deciding CCWs. He was very rude and is obviously on a power trip.

    Best advice for your mother may be to carry a gun in her purse. Chances are she has never been searched in her life, and won't be as long as she is careful to keep it concealed. If she does have to use it, she faces a misdemeanor. In this community, I don't think the DA would even indict her. She almost certainly would not be convicted.

    There's very little risk for the benefit of having the means to defend her life. Sometimes bad laws just have to be ignored.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member MudCamper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sebastopol, California, USA
    Posts
    710

    Post imported post

    Matai wrote:
    Has anyone tried to get a concealed firearm permit in Stanislaus County? My diminutive mother is often home alone and lately there have been a string of home invasions in her area and she's scared off a prowler twice now. I'm really getting concerned about her safety.
    Well she can keep a concealed loaded handgun in her house legally.



  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487

    Post imported post

    CA_Libertarian wrote:
    Sadly, our new sherriff is a real A-hole.* In a recent meeting with the board of the Madison Society, he clearly stated that he can and will be arbitrary in deciding CCWs.* He was very rude and is obviously on a power trip.

    Best advice for your mother may be to carry a gun in her purse.* Chances are she has never been searched in her life, and won't be as long as she is careful to keep it concealed.* If she does have to use it, she faces a misdemeanor.* In this community, I don't think the DA would even indict her.* She almost certainly would not be convicted.

    There's very little risk for the benefit of having the means to defend her life.* Sometimes bad laws just have to be ignored.
    I was just thinking about this the other day. Concealed carry without a license of a handgun you legally own is a misdemeanor... Does this carry with it a loss of firearms rights?

  5. #5
    Regular Member mjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SoCal, , USA
    Posts
    979

    Post imported post

    marshaul wrote:
    I was just thinking about this the other day. Concealed carry without a license of a handgun you legally own is a misdemeanor... Does this carry with it a loss of firearms rights?
    I have nothing to back it up, but I don't think so. If I remember correctly though any successive offenses of CCW without a permit are felonies.

    Practically speaking though my gut says that you would end up on some form of standard probation for a year or so which would proclude any firearms possession.


  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    20

    Post imported post

    Yeah, getting caught once is a misdemeanor, and twice is a felony.

    Be aware that she can be charged for two different crimes at once. Carrying concealed, and loaded (if it is indeed loaded, which I assume it would be).

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487

    Post imported post

    mjones wrote:
    marshaul wrote:
    I was just thinking about this the other day. Concealed carry without a license of a handgun you legally own is a misdemeanor... Does this carry with it a loss of firearms rights?
    I have nothing to back it up, but I don't think so. If I remember correctly though any successive offenses of CCW without a permit are felonies.

    Practically speaking though my gut says that you would end up on some form of standard probation for a year or so which would proclude any firearms possession.
    On the other hand, if we had incorporation and one had applied for and been denied a permit by any of the non-issuing counties, he might just end up at the Supreme Court of California instead.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •