• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CFP in Stanislaus

Matai

imported post

Has anyone tried to get a concealed firearm permit in Stanislaus County? My diminutive mother is often home alone and lately there have been a string of home invasions in her area and she's scared off a prowler twice now. I'm really getting concerned about her safety.

So, after looking at the laws a bit, other than making my head hurt, I'm wondering what's considered suitable justification for getting a CFP in the Stanislaus County? As I understand it, the sheriff can decide to issue one or not.

Any info?

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Sadly, our new sherriff is a real A-hole. In a recent meeting with the board of the Madison Society, he clearly stated that he can and will be arbitrary in deciding CCWs. He was very rude and is obviously on a power trip.

Best advice for your mother may be to carry a gun in her purse. Chances are she has never been searched in her life, and won't be as long as she is careful to keep it concealed. If she does have to use it, she faces a misdemeanor. In this community, I don't think the DA would even indict her. She almost certainly would not be convicted.

There's very little risk for the benefit of having the means to defend her life. Sometimes bad laws just have to be ignored.

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Matai wrote:
Has anyone tried to get a concealed firearm permit in Stanislaus County? My diminutive mother is often home alone and lately there have been a string of home invasions in her area and she's scared off a prowler twice now. I'm really getting concerned about her safety.

Well she can keep a concealed loaded handgun in her house legally.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Sadly, our new sherriff is a real A-hole.  In a recent meeting with the board of the Madison Society, he clearly stated that he can and will be arbitrary in deciding CCWs.  He was very rude and is obviously on a power trip.

Best advice for your mother may be to carry a gun in her purse.  Chances are she has never been searched in her life, and won't be as long as she is careful to keep it concealed.  If she does have to use it, she faces a misdemeanor.  In this community, I don't think the DA would even indict her.  She almost certainly would not be convicted.

There's very little risk for the benefit of having the means to defend her life.  Sometimes bad laws just have to be ignored.
I was just thinking about this the other day. Concealed carry without a license of a handgun you legally own is a misdemeanor... Does this carry with it a loss of firearms rights?

mjones

imported post

marshaul wrote:
I was just thinking about this the other day. Concealed carry without a license of a handgun you legally own is a misdemeanor... Does this carry with it a loss of firearms rights?
I have nothing to back it up, but I don't think so. If I remember correctly though any successive offenses of CCW without a permit are felonies.

Practically speaking though my gut says that you would end up on some form of standard probation for a year or so which would proclude any firearms possession.

stephenruckle

imported post

Yeah, getting caught once is a misdemeanor, and twice is a felony.

Be aware that she can be charged for two different crimes at once. Carrying concealed, and loaded (if it is indeed loaded, which I assume it would be).

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mjones wrote:
marshaul wrote:
I have nothing to back it up, but I don't think so. If I remember correctly though any successive offenses of CCW without a permit are felonies.

Practically speaking though my gut says that you would end up on some form of standard probation for a year or so which would proclude any firearms possession.
On the other hand, if we had incorporation and one had applied for and been denied a permit by any of the non-issuing counties, he might just end up at the Supreme Court of California instead.