Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Licensed to kill

Post imported post

I picked up my CHP a few months ago but I didn't have anything small enough to conceal. I'm a revolver guy with nothing shorter than a 6" barrel. I've shot some Glocks .357,.40 andRugers.40,9mm but hadn't found anything I liked. They werea bigger frame gun than what I wanted anyway.

So I ventured to the gun show on Saturday about noon... place was packed!! Had myeye out for a Walther PPK, saw afew but no deals on any of them. I left empty handedbut.....

...... I DID JOIN THE VCDL WHEN I FIRST WALKED IN !!!

I ended up going to Dances in Colonial Heights and purchased a new PPK/S. I like the size of the gun, it fits my hand well, its been around along time and should be a good reliable gun. And I was looking for an AMERICAN MADE gun too. I try to do my part to support AMERICAN JOBS and support the AMERICAN ECONOMY rather than another countries economy. With S&W making this gun now in Maine it fit all of my criteria for what I was looking for in a handgun.

I took it to the shooting range in Colonial Heights today a put 50 rounds through it. Only problem I had was the slide not closing all the way after firing a round. There were a few times when it stopped a few millimeters short of closing completely. I borrowed a few drops of oil from the range owner and lubed the slide which helped. Then again I was shooting the ammo purchased at the range with was most likely reloads and not top quality. Anyway, the gun will probably need a couple hundred rounds to loosen it up and break it in.

Post imported post

Congratulations on your new family member!
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

Congrats on getting your CHP, VCDL and PPK/S (did I miss any letters? )

Did you consider a Glock 23 at all?
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    Obviously he has better taste than that.... :P
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Congrats from a fellow CHL, VCDL, Walther carrier! Like the man said, a Walther on the hip all the time, is worth quantum more than my 686 or KingCobra resting at home. Carry what you're proficient and comfortable with!

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:

no,

I ruled out Glocks after I rented the .357 and .40 and did a terrible job of hitting my target at the indoor range a few years back.

And I wanted a gun with an external hammer that I could decock after chambering the first round. For some reason I dont feel comfortable with a gun that stays cocked all the time, especially when it might be in my pocket and I might be in a situation where I'm in trouble and need to get it out in a hurry, I'm scared, adrenaline is pumping, reach in there and grab the trigger and POW... I get blood all over my pants.

I didnt do much shopping around but after looking at the PPK a few months back it was love-at-first-sight .... I just liked it.

Post imported post

That's a nice looking pistol. I might have to get one myself someday. :-)

I'm very glad to have another member here. I do hope that you would change the name of this thread and stop referring to your CHP as a "license to kill."
    If you you ever have to shoot someone, you will likely soon find out that that "license" isn't worth the cheap paper they are all printed on.
    Besides that, this is the opposite of the message we would like to convey to the public and this IS a public forum.

Train hard. Stay safe.

Post imported post

He's not referring to his CHP as a license to kill, he's referring to his Walther PPK.

You know, the primary handgun of James Bond?
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:
    He's not referring to his CHP as a license to kill, he's referring to his Walther PPK.

thanks for clearing that up for me

I wonder if Bond is still using the PPK in his new movie coming out next month?

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

trx680 wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:

no,

I ruled out Glocks after I rented the .357 and .40 and did a terrible job of hitting my target at the indoor range a few years back.
    I'm very surprised by that. Every Glock I've ever shot has been dead on accurate. I carry a model 23, .40 cal and I love it.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    trx680 wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:

no,

I'm very surprised by that. Every Glock I've ever shot has been dead on accurate. I carry a model 23, .40 cal and I love it.
    The .357 was just too powerful, not to mention loud. Everyone on the range stopped to see what I was shooting.

I did better with the .40.....or maybe it was a 10mm...they make 10mm's? I don't remember.

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    trx680 wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:

no,

well, now that I have my small-framed conceal handgun next on my list is a 1911 sized pistol or if I can find a glock to my liking I'd entertain the thought of buying one of those.

Any suggestions on a decent and ACCURATE 1911 sized pistol without spending a fortune?

Post imported post

trx680 wrote:
    AbNo wrote:

thanks for clearing that up for me

I wonder if Bond is still using the PPK in his new movie coming out next month?
    I didn't think Bond used his PPK since he started using the P99 at the end of Tomorrow Never Dies. "Hmmm a new Walther. Ask Q to get me one of these..."

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    trx680 wrote:
    I picked up my CHP a few months ago but I didn't have anything small enough to conceal. I'm a revolver guy with nothing shorter than a 6" barrel.
    WTF? Small enough? I have in the past often carrieda 44 magnum 6" revolver, a 41 S&W revolver 6", and a Smith & Wesson 500 8 3/8" revolver concealed with shoulder holsters. Is it simply your preference not to carry anything like this?

well, I haven't seen you but perhaps your not a small frame guy like myself, and I don't wear a suit like Dirty Harry so a shoulder holsterwon't get worn, unless I'm going to wear a coat. What I'm trying to say is a guy like me .... well, a large frame gun is going to be unconcealable or just going too look ridiculous on me.

Post imported post

Maybe he lacks the.... girth needed to conceal such a cannon.

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:
    Definately not the case for me. My body has its own retention system when carrying IWB at 3:00.

Post imported post

I was joking.

Post imported post

They are very nice guns. A friend of mine let me shoot his at the range I go to and it was a sweet shoot. Liked it so much I went and got one a few weeks later.

Unfortunately, I have to send my PPK/S back to S&W for warranty work. The rear sight is loose enough to slide completely out of the groove on the slide if the gun is tiletd to the right.

I called the service number from the manual and they were very helpful. They took down some information and got me the stuff I needed in order to send it back (legally) for work.

My only complaint is the little dovetail at the upper back of the handle has somewhat of a sharp edge and if my grip is slightly sloppy, it cuts into my hand. I need to smooth that edge just a little.

It's a great weapon for CCW though. small enough to fit into most pockets yet large enough for my basketball palming mitts.

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    AbNo wrote:
    Definately not the case for me. My body has its own retention system when carrying IWB at 3:00.
    That was funny.

TRX680: Am I reading the barrel right, is that a .380 model? If so, how snappy is the recoil with it? I've handled a few and considered them as a deeper concealment sidearm.

As to not hitting anything with the Glock, that isn't an unusual problem per se. Many people have an issue with getting them to aim naturally because of the grip angle. Doesn't make it a bad sidearm as many people love them and shoot very well with them, but just like I always say, the quality pistol that fits YOU best is the right pistol for you.

Post imported post

TRX680: Am I reading the barrel right, is that a .380 model? If so, how snappy is the recoil with it? I've handled a few and considered them as a deeper concealment sidearm.

As to not hitting anything with the Glock, that isn't an unusual problem per se. Many people have an issue with getting them to aim naturally because of the grip angle. Doesn't make it a bad sidearm as many people love them and shoot very well with them, but just like I always say, the quality pistol that fits YOU best is the right pistol for you.

well, its not a lightweight gun, so the recoil is not bad at all. It shot well except for the slide not closing a few times... hopefully it just needs some breaking-in.

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:
    I was joking.
    yeah...me too.

Post imported post

trx680 wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:

no,

And I wanted a gun with an external hammer that I could decock after chambering the first round. For some reason I dont feel comfortable with a gun that stays cocked all the time, especially when it might be in my pocket and I might be in a situation where I'm in trouble and need to get it out in a hurry, I'm scared, adrenaline is pumping, reach in there and grab the trigger and POW... I get blood all over my pants.

I didnt do much shopping around but after looking at the PPK a few months back it was love-at-first-sight .... I just liked it.
    Just an FYI Glocks are not in the cocked position when a cartridge is in the chamber.

Post imported post

rob99vmi04 wrote:
    trx680 wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:

no,

Just an FYI Glocks are not in the cocked position when a cartridge is in the chamber.
    You beat me to the punch on that one!
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Post imported post

trx680 wrote:

well, its not a lightweight gun, so the recoil is not bad at all. It shot well except for the slide not closing a few times... hopefully it just needs some breaking-in.
    Make sure that when you clean & lubricate your PPK/S that you put oil on all the grooved surfaces along the sides where the slide sits. I was having the same issue as you are until I started lubricating every surface that showed any signs of wear after my first trip with it to the range.\

Once oiled, be sure to work the slide repeatedly and wipe away any excess oil that comes out. It'll sound smoother when you have it properly lubricated. I can't really describe it that well but you'll know what I mean when you get it.

Unfortunately, the manual doesn't go into that great of detail as to what surfaces need lubrication. The manuals I've seen for other firearms go so far as to give youdiagrams and indicate what points the oil gets applied. Not so with the PPK/S manual.

Post imported post

trx680 wrote:
    I took it to the shooting range in Colonial Heights today a put 50 rounds through it. Only problem I had was the slide not closing all the way after firing a round. There were a few times when it stopped a few millimeters short of closing completely. I borrowed a few drops of oil from the range owner and lubed the slide which helped. Then again I was shooting the ammo purchased at the range with was most likely reloads and not top quality. Anyway, the gun will probably need a couple hundred rounds to loosen it up and break it in.

I have a PPK/S that does the same thing when I use low quality ammo. Winchester white box usually does ok with very few instances of not completely closing all the way. Don't even try CCI Blazer ammo. Mine fails to cycle proerly 3 our of 10 shots. When I carry the gun, I use +P ammo which has never failed to cycle properly. I've put about 300-400 rounds of +P through the gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast