• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Licensed to kill

VaGunTrader

imported post

TRX680: Am I reading the barrel right, is that a .380 model? If so, how snappy is the recoil with it? I've handled a few and considered them as a deeper concealment sidearm.

As to not hitting anything with the Glock, that isn't an unusual problem per se. Many people have an issue with getting them to aim naturally because of the grip angle. Doesn't make it a bad sidearm as many people love them and shoot very well with them, but just like I always say, the quality pistol that fits YOU best is the right pistol for you.
well, its not a lightweight gun, so the recoil is not bad at all. It shot well except for the slide not closing a few times... hopefully it just needs some breaking-in.

rob99vmi04

imported post

trx680 wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Congrats on getting your CHP, VCDL and PPK/S (did I miss any letters? :) )

Did you consider a Glock 23 at all?

no,

I ruled out Glocks after I rented the .357 and .40 and did a terrible job of hitting my target at the indoor range a few years back.

And I wanted a gun with an external hammer that I could decock after chambering the first round. For some reason I dont feel comfortable with a gun that stays cocked all the time, especially when it might be in my pocket and I might be in a situation where I'm in trouble and need to get it out in a hurry, I'm scared, adrenaline is pumping, reach in there and grab the trigger and POW... I get blood all over my pants:lol:.

I didnt do much shopping around but after looking at the PPK a few months back it was love-at-first-sight .... I just liked it.
Just an FYI Glocks are not in the cocked position when a cartridge is in the chamber.

ODA 226

imported post

rob99vmi04 wrote:
trx680 wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Congrats on getting your CHP, VCDL and PPK/S (did I miss any letters? :) )

Did you consider a Glock 23 at all?

no,

I ruled out Glocks after I rented the .357 and .40 and did a terrible job of hitting my target at the indoor range a few years back.

And I wanted a gun with an external hammer that I could decock after chambering the first round. For some reason I dont feel comfortable with a gun that stays cocked all the time, especially when it might be in my pocket and I might be in a situation where I'm in trouble and need to get it out in a hurry, I'm scared, adrenaline is pumping, reach in there and grab the trigger and POW... I get blood all over my pants:lol:.

I didnt do much shopping around but after looking at the PPK a few months back it was love-at-first-sight .... I just liked it.
Just an FYI Glocks are not in the cocked position when a cartridge is in the chamber.
You beat me to the punch on that one!

darthmord

imported post

trx680 wrote:
TRX680: Am I reading the barrel right, is that a .380 model? If so, how snappy is the recoil with it? I've handled a few and considered them as a deeper concealment sidearm.

As to not hitting anything with the Glock, that isn't an unusual problem per se. Many people have an issue with getting them to aim naturally because of the grip angle. Doesn't make it a bad sidearm as many people love them and shoot very well with them, but just like I always say, the quality pistol that fits YOU best is the right pistol for you.
well, its not a lightweight gun, so the recoil is not bad at all. It shot well except for the slide not closing a few times... hopefully it just needs some breaking-in.

Make sure that when you clean & lubricate your PPK/S that you put oil on all the grooved surfaces along the sides where the slide sits. I was having the same issue as you are until I started lubricating every surface that showed any signs of wear after my first trip with it to the range.\

Once oiled, be sure to work the slide repeatedly and wipe away any excess oil that comes out. It'll sound smoother when you have it properly lubricated. I can't really describe it that well but you'll know what I mean when you get it.

Unfortunately, the manual doesn't go into that great of detail as to what surfaces need lubrication. The manuals I've seen for other firearms go so far as to give youdiagrams and indicate what points the oil gets applied. Not so with the PPK/S manual.

rspiess

imported post

trx680 wrote:
I took it to the shooting range in Colonial Heights today a put 50 rounds through it. Only problem I had was the slide not closing all the way after firing a round. There were a few times when it stopped a few millimeters short of closing completely. I borrowed a few drops of oil from the range owner and lubed the slide which helped. Then again I was shooting the ammo purchased at the range with was most likely reloads and not top quality. Anyway, the gun will probably need a couple hundred rounds to loosen it up and break it in.

I have a PPK/S that does the same thing when I use low quality ammo. Winchester white box usually does ok with very few instances of not completely closing all the way. Don't even try CCI Blazer ammo. Mine fails to cycle proerly 3 our of 10 shots. When I carry the gun, I use +P ammo which has never failed to cycle properly. I've put about 300-400 rounds of +P through the gun.

darthmord

imported post

rspiess wrote:
trx680 wrote:
I took it to the shooting range in Colonial Heights today a put 50 rounds through it. Only problem I had was the slide not closing all the way after firing a round. There were a few times when it stopped a few millimeters short of closing completely. I borrowed a few drops of oil from the range owner and lubed the slide which helped. Then again I was shooting the ammo purchased at the range with was most likely reloads and not top quality. Anyway, the gun will probably need a couple hundred rounds to loosen it up and break it in.

I have a PPK/S that does the same thing when I use low quality ammo. Winchester white box usually does ok with very few instances of not completely closing all the way. Don't even try CCI Blazer ammo. Mine fails to cycle proerly 3 our of 10 shots. When I carry the gun, I use +P ammo which has never failed to cycle properly. I've put about 300-400 rounds of +P through the gun.

Mine works fine with Blazer CCI ammo. I have used the Winchester 380 ammo (white box). I like it better than Blazer but... it costs a fair bit more too. American Eagle 380 costs slightly more than Blazer 380 and works very well for me.

Likewise, I've used +P Federal in it as well as Speer Gold Dot. Both worked. I felt the Speer gave me an excessive amount of recoil in comparison to Federal. It felt wrong when being fired.

Now when I used some Blazer 9mm in one of my 9mm handguns, it would jam on 2-3 out of 5 rounds. My wife had the same problem with her gun except it would jam on 3-4 out of 5 rounds. Yet using American Eagle we had zero problems. Part of her problem is she's not holding the gun steady thereby allowing some of the recoil to not travel in a straight line in the gun. That causes it to jam. We tested that by having me shoot her gun. I would get the same number of jams as on my gun.