Thread: Does the new AG opinion change anything with WMA's

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

I have never found aany authority for DGIF to regulate the carry of firearms. Hunting yes, but not carry.
    Anyone have any thoughts about the AG's opinion with regard to WMA's?

I'm considering asking the new Director about the policy. He of course is governed by the board.

Post imported post

Firearms

It is unlawful to have in possession or in a vehicle a bow or gun which is not unloaded and cased or dismantled except when it is lawful to take bear, deer, grouse, pheasants, quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel or turkey; and additionally, migratory game birds on Department owned lands east of the Blue Ridge; or by permit issued by the Department; or by concealed handgun permit issued by a Circuit Court.
    'Till the last landings made, and we stand unafraid, on a shore not mortal has seen,
    'Till the last bugle call, sounds taps for us all,
    It's Semper Fidelis, MARINE!

Post imported post

streetdoc wrote:

Firearms

It is unlawful to have in possession or in a vehicle a bow or gun which is not unloaded and cased or dismantled except when it is lawful to take bear, deer, grouse, pheasants, quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel or turkey; and additionally, migratory game birds on Department owned lands east of the Blue Ridge; or by permit issued by the Department; or by concealed handgun permit issued by a Circuit Court.
    I had a question about this back in Feb. I was planning on going shoot some skeet and wanted to know if i could only carry concealed on WMA property. I email them asking what there stance was..... here is the response.

"Our WMA regs allow you to carry a pistol, concealed or open, if you have a CWP. You may NOT shoota pistolat our WMA ranges."

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

I know the regulations well....but reading the AG's opinion on State Park Regulations, it seems that NO STATE AGENCY may restrict open carry unless they are given the authority from the General Assembly.

I can find no such authority given to DGIF.