• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does the new AG opinion change anything with WMA's

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I have never found aany authority for DGIF to regulate the carry of firearms. Hunting yes, but not carry.
Anyone have any thoughts about the AG's opinion with regard to WMA's?

I'm considering asking the new Director about the policy. He of course is governed by the board.

streetdoc

imported post

[align=left]http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/wmarules.pdf[/align]

[align=left]Firearms[/align]

[align=left]
It is unlawful to have in possession or in a vehicle a bow or gun which is not unloaded and cased or dismantled except when it is lawful to take bear, deer, grouse, pheasants, quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel or turkey; and additionally, migratory game birds on Department owned lands east of the Blue Ridge; or by permit issued by the Department; or by concealed handgun permit issued by a Circuit Court.[/align]

bruins499

imported post

streetdoc wrote:

[align=left]Firearms[/align]

[align=left]
It is unlawful to have in possession or in a vehicle a bow or gun which is not unloaded and cased or dismantled except when it is lawful to take bear, deer, grouse, pheasants, quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel or turkey; and additionally, migratory game birds on Department owned lands east of the Blue Ridge; or by permit issued by the Department; or by concealed handgun permit issued by a Circuit Court.[/align]

I had a question about this back in Feb. I was planning on going shoot some skeet and wanted to know if i could only carry concealed on WMA property. I email them asking what there stance was..... here is the response.

"Our WMA regs allow you to carry a pistol, concealed or open, if you have a CWP. You may NOT shoota pistolat our WMA ranges."

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I know the regulations well....but reading the AG's opinion on State Park Regulations, it seems that NO STATE AGENCY may restrict open carry unless they are given the authority from the General Assembly.

I can find no such authority given to DGIF.