• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for a AK-47

computerizedfish

imported post

So, I have been wanting to add the good old AK to my collection. Not really OC related, but I wanted to buy in the state and who better to ask then you guys.

I wanted a AK with a milled receiver and light wood 'furniture'. Where would I look for one, mainly on the west side of the state? If I have to get one on the internet, where would be the best place?

And of course, what are your opinions of what model is best:)

just_a_car

imported post

heresolong wrote:
I'll tell you what I told my other friends. Join an Eastern Bloc army or become a Middle Eastern terrorist. :)
...or like your guns to go *bang* when you pull the trigger and your target to stop fighting.

As for where to find such firearms, there are quite a few around in gunshops, but your best bet for price will be from online.

Check the following:
http://www.classicarms.us
http://www.gunbroker.com

If you're getting a milled version, there's very few that are less than "mid-range." Of the stamped models, some of the best are the Yugo models, such as the M70 (and variants thereof). Don't discount the bottom-of-the-barrel AK's, though. They may have a little lower quality fit and finish, but if you know what to look for, you can get a great functional firearm for cheap.

just_a_car

imported post

computerizedfish wrote:
I guessed as much. How do I go about finding a local FFL dealer to have stuff shipped to?
Again, Gunbroker.com has an FFL finder. Go there and click on the For Buyers link at the top and the link for the FFL finder will be there. I found a local pawn shop that does $15 long gun transfers and a guy that runs his FFL out of his basement that does $20 pistol transfers.

computerizedfish

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
computerizedfish wrote:
I guessed as much. How do I go about finding a local FFL dealer to have stuff shipped to?
Again, Gunbroker.com has an FFL finder. Go there and click on the For Buyers link at the top and the link for the FFL finder will be there. I found a local pawn shop that does $15 long gun transfers and a guy that runs his FFL out of his basement that does $20 pistol transfers.
Ah crap, totally over looked that. I found one on gunsamerica.com , but the one on gunbroker.com has more options.

Is it common to collect sales tax with the FFL and is it sales on the total gun purchase?

just_a_car

imported post

computerizedfish wrote:
just_a_car wrote:
computerizedfish wrote:
Ah crap, totally over looked that. I found one on gunsamerica.com , but the one on gunbroker.com has more options.

Is it common to collect sales tax with the FFL and is it sales on the total gun purchase?
No and no. Definitely ask before having your firearm sent to an FFL, but they should not charge you sales tax, especially on the cost of the firearm. Any FFL that does that is price-gouging and should be boycotted.

When I had my rifle transferred, I handed the pawn shop owner a $5 bill and a $10 and had my rifle. When I had my pistol transferred, I handed the man a $20 bill and had my pistol. Of course, there was all the paperwork to do for the transfers, but I was never charged tax, nor do they charge based on the price of the firearm.

computerizedfish

imported post

Ya, it seemed odd, but some of the stores said something like '$15 + sales tax' and that didnt make to much sense to me.

Thanks for all the info.

*off to convince democratic wife that I totally need an AK before january =]*

David.Car

imported post

computerizedfish wrote:
Ya, it seemed odd, but some of the stores said something like '$15 + sales tax' and that didnt make to much sense to me.

Thanks for all the info.

There are a lot of places that include the + sales tax part. I am not sure why but I have never been charged tax through 4 online purchases and FFL transfers. The place I go used to be $15 for everything. Now they are $20... Still a good deal and good people though.

Bear 45/70

imported post

David.Car wrote:
computerizedfish wrote:

Thanks for all the info.

There are a lot of places that include the + sales tax part. I am not sure why but I have never been charged tax through 4 online purchases and FFL transfers. The place I go used to be $15 for everything. Now they are $20... Still a good deal and good people though.
If the business is located outside Washington then they can skip the tax, even though Washington law says they need to collect it and send it to the state (it is pretty much unenforceable). If the outfit has a store in the state, such as Cabela's now does, then on line sales must be taxed and paid to the state.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
If the business is located outside Washington then they can skip the tax, even though Washington law says they need to collect it and send it to the state (it is pretty much unenforceable). If the outfit has a store in the state, such as Cabela's now does, then on line sales must be taxed and paid to the state.

True for the sale from a business (except WA asks them to collect and send the tax in, but doesn't require it). Of course Chrissie G is part of the push to get the Fed's involved in forcing businesses to collect sales taxes on out-of-state sales. No surprise there.

There is no rule or requirement for the transfrerring dealer to collect the tax. The only thing he is involved in is the transfer paperwork, not the sale of the weapon. I would go to someone else for the transfer. My opinion is that the FFL's that do this either don't understand the law (and aren't making any effort to) or are just trying to scam the customer. He is collecting sales tax when he isn't reporting a sale, pretty simple to just pocket the money as "profit".

If you go to Best Buy and buy software to use in the computer you got from Newegg can you pay the Use tax for the computer to Best Buy? No, they are not collections agents for the Dept. of Revenue. You are supposed to file and remit payment to the Wa. Dept of Revenue.

The BUYER is responsible to pay a "Use Tax" to WA. Dept of Revenue on goods purchased from out of state ( http://dor.wa.gov/content/findtaxesandrates/usetax/ ).

Mad Pick

imported post

In the gunbroker FFL listing for Mary's, it says: "Transfers $50.00 + tax ($54.40)."

So the tax is only on the FFL fee, not the firearm itself.

I'm guessing that the situation is the same for the other FFLs.

shakul

imported post

Palace Jewlery and Loan in downtown charges 30 + tax... But it's either that or get on a bus or take a cab to bellevue or to bothell... Unless there is someone closer I'm not aware of.