• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Poll: How instrumental was OpenCarry.org in your choosing to Open Carry?

How Instrumental was OpenCarry.org in your decision to Open Carry?

• I used to think OC was a bad idea, and OpenCarry.Org opened my eyes that it's not!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've been pro-OC since before OCDO was a twinkle in John's & Mike's eyes (or since before I found th

• I never liked it, never will. You people lack common sense.

• I'm sittin' on the fence. Not sure if OC is a good idea or not...

• Total voters

Orygunner

imported post

I know that finding OpenCarry.org changed my views considerably. I've always been (I used to think)pro-gun, and thought about getting my CHL since shortly after high school. I've had some liberal ideas as a young man (What's wrong with Licensing Concealed Carryand performing background checks on gun sales?). But as I started to learn more of the truth, I definitely and quickly changed my views, usually towards the side of Libertarian ideas (in a lot of things).

A friend of mine years ago liked to Open Carry sometimes, and he didn't give a crap who didn't like it. If asked to leave a store, he'd raise a big ruckus on the way out, hollering that they didn't need his money and they'd lost him as a customer. At that time, I formed the idea that Open Carry was silly, why not get a CHL and conceal it?OC is just asking for trouble (and all of the typicalpoor arguments against).

I tried OCing once with that mindset, on my way out to the woods to do some plinking, I decided to strap on my pistol and stop at a convenience store on the way out of town. I was nervous, self-concious, and even though I knew it was legal, I felt like I was doing something wrong, and never tried OCing in public again until...

I had to sell my first handgun a few years ago because of money issues. Earlier this year, after seeing news reports aboutviolent crimegot me thinking again about getting another handgun for me, one for my wife, and CHLs for us both.

Researching current firearms issues, I found OpenCarry.Org I'd never found anyone advocating OC before, and reading the discussions and arguments, I came around to being a strong advocate for Open Carry. I got my handgun & holster (Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro), and started OCing everywhere I legally could before I could get my CHL.

Due to complicated issues with family, I switched to deep concealed carry (pocket gun, Kel-Tec P3-AT) which I carry everywhere except work. Now I am free again to start OCing once I get a good Paddle holster for my Taurus PT101SS.

My vote is that "I used to think OC was a bad idea, and OpenCarry.Org opened my eyes!" A year ago if someone told me that today I would be comfortable carrying a sidearm openly into a bank, I'd have said they were nuts!

I'd like to know other peoples' stories about whether discussions and postings on the OCDO Forums has changed your views, or reinforced ones you already had. If OCDO didn't help you choose to support OC, what did?

Please limit your responses and your vote to mainly the Open Carry issue, not why you chose to carry a gun in general. I'm interested in how instrumental OCDO has been in changing people's minds about OC, like it did me.

...Thanks!...
...Orygunner...

mzbk2l

imported post

I bought the Arizona Gun Owner's Guide by Alan Korwin soon after moving to AZ in 1997. That opened my eyes to open carry for the first time, and I've practiced it from time to time ever since. I've definitely learned a lot here on OCDO, and have found myself even more comfortable with open carry now than I was before.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I too was pro-OC before joining, but was very ignorant about the laws nationwide and many other matters related to OC. I actually found the site looking for the laws on OC in KY where I was going to be visiting.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

David.Car wrote:
You need another poll option... I didn't even know OC existed until I stumbled on to this page from a link on another firearm forum.
Didn't know OC existed = choice #3, never thought about it - IMO.

Yata hey

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

As a little kid I distinctly remember thinking it was strange that grown-ups did not carry firearms. I asked my dad about it one day and he seemed to think I was nuts.

Since OC in Texas is currently not an option, I didn't give it much thought until I stumbled upon OCDO.

OCDO has definitely educated me about OC across the country and a host of other interesting topics. OCDO offers a wealth of disparate ideas and views on many subjects. It is fun to watch as logical persuasion reshapes my ideas on a given subject as I read the threads on the forum. I guess I really am open minded after all.

Also theinformation regarding local, state and national laws is invaluable. I am glad to be a part of the OC movement. Thanks to all who contribute in any positive way.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I've OC'd in Arizona/Nevada since 1966. Bein' in the Navy at the time... It was infrequent due to movin' around all over the place... then in Maryland not at all 'cept for when I was a cop there. (Had to CC when not in uniform.) Finally... moved back to Arizona 'n OC'd soon as I crossed into New Mexico from Texas on the way. 'Have OC'd most everyday('cept when it rains) ever since. I have an AZ CWP, but this area is not conducive to CC (climate mainly).

'Found OCDO a few months ago... and was pleased with the results of more people deciding to OC where it's not normally done... and dismayed that while legal... there are still obstacles in many places.

RedKnightt

imported post

I first saw Open Carry when I worked in Tucson at the Park Place Mall about 4 years ago. I was a manager at the Discovery Channel store, and a gentleman came in with a couple of kids and a gun on his right hip. I've always been interested in guns, but didn't own one at the time (poor college student :)). I was curious what he had and made the mistake of telling my boss I was going to go help "the guy with the pistol".

My boss unfortunately immediately freaked out and called mall security, who came in and asked the man to take his weapon to his car (the mall did have a no weapons policy, but this was the only time I saw it enforced). I thought about asking my boss why he did, but I was afraid he might actually give me an answer. This was the same man that watched all the kids dressed up for the latest Harry Potter book release at Borders and proclaimed that it was a Satanist gathering.

I occasionally saw other people OC at the same mall and once at Tucson Mall when I helped out at the other store. I found this forum after I moved to Northern Virginia soon after and was researching Va firearms laws.

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

Sheepdawg

imported post

Before OCDO I never even considered open carry. It never crossed my mind. Didn't know that such a thing exsisted. I was brainwashed like so many others in this country, hiding my guns unless I was hunting or shooting in the middle of nowhere were no one could see or hiding it under my shirt. This site changed my life. The first time I OC'ed was the first time I can remember feeling like a free man. Everyday after that has been same. Thank you to the founders and members of OCDO.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

By the time I found this site I had been open carrying for about 3.5 years, the start of which coincided with my move to Arizona from Ohio. Since Ohio did not permit car carry without a CCW permit (and I did not currently have a CCW permit) and did not have uniform firearm laws statewide OC was something I never tried there except with a AZ CCW permit and then only in the car as required and sometimes around my parents house, however I knew before I arrived in AZ that OC was both legal and accepted from having talked to various people who had lived in AZ and had open carried during their time there. Since that period of time I have open carried in various states before finding OCDO. Although there are certainly good references available for determining where and how to carry in each state, OCDO is pretty convenient because it generally keeps up with the firearm laws proposed nationally.

3/325

imported post

How Instrumental was OpenCarry.org in your decision to Open Carry?

Very. I was aware of, supportive of, and interested in Open Carry before I found the site but it was after examining/participating in this community that I got inspired to actually do it.

JesseL

imported post

I grew up here in Prescott Arizona. I can't remember a time when I didn't see adults open carrying at least occasionally. When I bought my first pistol at 21 I open carried it and didn't think too much about it.

It was only after I started browsing gun discussions on the internet (rec.guns and packing.org) that I became aware that open carry could be a problem to anyone (especially pro-RKBA type folks).

I've been amazed that people in other states would let things get as bad as they have with regard to open carry, and even more shocked that some pro-RKBA people don't think it needs fixing.

Open carry is something I've always taken for granted and now I'm resolved to continue exercising it so that my son can grow up with the kind of exposure and political climate I enjoyed.

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sheepdawg wrote:
Before OCDO I never even considered open carry. It never crossed my mind. Didn't know that such a thing exsisted. I was brainwashed like so many others in this country, hiding my guns unless I was hunting or shooting in the middle of nowhere were no one could see or hiding it under my shirt. This site changed my life. The first time I OC'ed was the first time I can remember feeling like a free man. Everyday after that has been same. Thank you to the founders and members of OCDO.
+1. Exactly my story and sentiment. Each word of it, in that order.

stevenh512

imported post

I'd say my choosing to open carry was instrumental in my finding (and joining) opencarry.org.

I started to open carry shortly after I moved to Landers, CA. I noticed my neighbor walking around armed one day after he shot a rattlesnake in his front yard, and when I asked him about it he told me that almost everyone carries a gun around here. I honestly had never noticed, but it's true, I rarely see someone walking around my side of town without a gun on their belt. He explained to me that it's totally legal as long as the gun isn't concealed, and that local law enforcement understands and even recommends people carrying guns because of the dangerous wild animals (rattlesnakes, mountain lions, coyotes, wolves) and a small handful of drug addicts who will do just about anything (including carjackings, muggings and residential burglaries) to pay for their next "fix".

I found this site after I made my decision to open carry because I wanted to know the legalities of it, and the risks I might be taking as far as any encounters with law enforcement. Luckily, both of my encounters with law enforcement while carrying have been pretty pleasant. Once I was stopped walking down the street, the deputy asked to see my gun and I agreed. He took a good look at it, told me "That's pretty nice, be careful and take good care of it." and sent me on my way. The other time, a deputy came onto my neighbor's property because he heard gunshots and wanted to make sure there was no problem. It's perfectly legal and safe to shoot targets in my neighbor's back yard, so once he saw that was what we were doing, he joined us for a few minutes until he got a call and had to leave.

squisher

imported post

I was OC'ing before I found the site because of the size of weapon I chose (I wanted something I could shoot more than conceal).

I found OCDO looking for some specific gun laws. Finding it makes me feel a little more comfortable about it. Now when I go out, I just "load up" like part of getting dress (Except for work, I can have it in the car, but I'm sure they frown on it in the building).

GO OC!