• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Palin in town today..

I

inNV

imported post

Well I am sure most of you know that Sarah Palin was in Reno and Las Vegas today, just curious if anyone went. I could not make it, I am sad. :X

Loneviking

imported post

Nope, I worked last night and couldn't make it. I hope it was done better than the event in Carson City at Mills Park. Whoever was planning security at CC only had one metal detector that everybody had to go through and there were too many folks for that. I had to laugh when they finally took the detector down and just let everybody in. The Secret Service said that she probably wasn't in any real danger in CC--and yet, do you have any idea how many folks carry concealed in CC? Quite a few!! I'd dare the Secret Service to try that in Chicago!

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

My wife and kids went.

I didn't go, and would have been turned away if I had. They confiscated my wife's Leatherman micro off her keyring.

Imagine if they'd have found a pocket knife and a pistol or two?

I haven't had time yet, but I intend to check on the legality of the metal detectors and "checkpoints." The parks are public places, and I don't recall an statute giving anyone authority to setup random searches and to confiscate legal personal property or deny access.

P.S. Sorry I've been MIA lately... crazy busy at work and home.

Bob

njeske

imported post

bobernet wrote:
My wife and kids went.

I didn't go, and would have been turned away if I had. They confiscated my wife's Leatherman micro off her keyring.

Imagine if they'd have found a pocket knife and a pistol or two?

I haven't had time yet, but I intend to check on the legality of the metal detectors and "checkpoints." The parks are public places, and I don't recall an statute giving anyone authority to setup random searches and to confiscate legal personal property or deny access.

P.S. Sorry I've been MIA lately... crazy busy at work and home.

Bob
I've seen this topic brought up before on other forums. I believe the specific one I'm thinking of was on defensivecarry.com. I believe that the Secret Service have almost unlimited power granted to them to conduct such checkpoints and searches, even in public places. It's a slap in the face to our constitution that I'm sure has our founding fathers rolling over in their graves, but it's the way it is.