• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who needs a gun in Wawa? Or don't bring hot coffee to a knife fight.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/17/AR2008101703516.html

Pot of coffee, stops robber cold police say.

By Martin Weil Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, October 18, 2008; Page B03

A knife-wielding man who held up a Northern Virginia convenience store Thursday dropped most of his loot after a quick-thinking Secret Service agent flung a pot of hot coffee in his face, authorities said.
The agent's neck was cut slightly as the robber swung his arm in a scuffle in a Wawa store near Interstate 95 in the Garrisonville area of Stafford County, about 35 miles south of Washington, according to the county sheriff's office.
The off-duty agent was getting coffee at the Wawa when the robber forced a store manager to empty the registers, the sheriff's office said.
The agent, who saw what was happening but was unarmed, made use of what was available.
He "grabbed a full pot of hot coffee" and threw it, the sheriff's office said. After a struggle in which most of the cash fell from his bag, the robber fled, the sheriff's office said.

Scott M. Bleutge, 44, of Stafford County was later arrested on I-95 and charged with robbery, malicious wounding and driving under the influence, the sheriff's office said.

savery

imported post

I read another gas station self defense story on another gun forum a while back that may or may not be true... but it's funny as hell (and useful if you have a zippo....)

A gentleman was at a sketchy gas station, filling his tank and minding his own business when someone came up to him, produced a weapon , (knife i believe) and demanded his money.

Not to be undone, the gentleman removed the nozzle from the gas tank, and pulled out his zippo lighter.

The would be thief, more than likely believing he had just messed with a certifiable maniac, decided to drop the issue and run.

Sheriff

imported post

MeBaby wrote:
I bet he won't be unarmed next time.
I made this mistake once back in the 70s. And of all times.... had an armedbank robber sitting right in front of me in traffic. I had to call ahead and have on duty sit and wait for us. Never let it happen again while off duty. And never again needed a weapon off duty, ain't that the way it goes? :lol:

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Wow I would have thought that the secret service guy would have ALWAYS been carrying! Lucky for him the robber didn't have a gun. I'm sure he really would have wished that he had been carrying then:what:

Sheriff

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Wow I would have thought that the secret service guy would have ALWAYS been carrying!
I would go so far as to assume he was actually violating his department policy. I can't imagine Secret Service not having to be armed at all times. But this is just speculation on my behalf.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Wow I would have thought that the secret service guy would have ALWAYS been carrying!
I would go so far as to assume he was actually violating his department policy. I can't imagine Secret Service not having to be armed at all times. But this is just speculation on my behalf.
That's what I would have thought.

dixiehacker

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Perhaps he was armed, but didn't want to use deadly force. Perhaps if the coffee didn't work, he could have pulled out his gun. I am guessing there's a lot less paper work involved with using a pot of coffee as opposed to an issue sidearm.

ccunning

imported post

If it were a citizen in this agents position it would be illegal to draw your firearm correct? I thought you could only draw your weapon when met with lethal force. Am I mistaken?

richarcm

imported post

ccunning wrote:
If it were a citizen in this agents position it would be illegal to draw your firearm correct? I thought you could only draw your weapon when met with lethal force. Am I mistaken?
When someone is threatening you with a knife that is assumed to be deadly force. Of course it doesn't matter what you think. It's what the judge thinks once the circumstances are laid out onto the courtroom table.

LRS76251

imported post

There are no specific agency requirements for being armed while not working. Being armed at all times is highly encouraged, but it is left up to the individual agent's discretion. Same goes for UD personnel. Hope this helps.

ccunning

imported post

richarcm wrote:
ccunning wrote:
When someone is threatening you with a knife that is assumed to be deadly force. Of course it doesn't matter what you think. It's what the judge thinks once the circumstances are laid out onto the courtroom table.
My understanding was that the Manager was being threatened - not the Agent. I thought the only person you could return deadly force as a proxy for was a family member (ie... spouse or child). This is just based on what my CHP instructor told us though.

richarcm

imported post

ccunning wrote:
richarcm wrote:
ccunning wrote:
My understanding was that the Manager was being threatened - not the Agent. I thought the only person you could return deadly force as a proxy for was a family member (ie... spouse or child). This is just based on what my CHP instructor told us though.
So if you see some random person being held with a knife against their throat you are supposed to either toss them your gun so that they can defend themselves or you are supposed to walk away? Seems any other form of assistance would lead to a big pool of blood coming from the throat.

LRS76251

imported post

richarcm wrote:
ccunning wrote:
richarcm wrote:
ccunning wrote:
So if you see some random person being held with a knife against their throat you are supposed to either toss them your gun so that they can defend themselves or you are supposed to walk away? Seems any other form of assistance would lead to a big pool of blood coming from the throat.
No. In Virginia in order to defend anyone other than yourself it comes down to determining whether or not the person being attacked had the right to defend themselves and you can only use the amount of force that could be used by the victim. Basically, a reasonable person would have to be able to determine that the victim was in imminent danger and did nothing to provoke the attack themselves. This gets confusing as hell and is hard to explain but it makes sense once its understood. There is a lot of case law on this but I'm kind of tired at the moment and don't feel like looking it up right now.

Neplusultra

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
MeBaby wrote:
I bet he won't be unarmed next time.
I made this mistake once back in the 70s. And of all times.... had an armedbank robber sitting right in front of me in traffic. I had to call ahead and have on duty sit and wait for us. Never let it happen again while off duty. And never again needed a weapon off duty, ain't that the way it goes? :lol:
It sure is, which is why I'm constantly walking back inside as I'm about to leave in the morning to get my gun. You never know.

richarcm

imported post

LRS76251 wrote:
richarcm wrote:
ccunning wrote:
richarcm wrote:
ccunning wrote:
No. In Virginia in order to defend anyone other than yourself it comes down to determining whether or not the person being attacked had the right to defend themselves and you can only use the amount of force that could be used by the victim. Basically, a reasonable person would have to be able to determine that the victim was in imminent danger and did nothing to provoke the attack themselves. This gets confusing as hell and is hard to explain but it makes sense once its understood. There is a lot of case law on this but I'm kind of tired at the moment and don't feel like looking it up right now.
So again, if you see some random person minding their own business get jumped by some guy and now has a knife to their throat.....you are supposed to walk away? Like for example at a robbery at a gas station where the employee is wearing a bright yellow vest. I'm supposed to do nothing? Granted i don't want to shoot anyone but if I can help save someone's life I probably will. I'll let the court figure out whether or not saving someone's life was legal or not.